Advanced Nutrients line-up and Live Culture Hydroponics questions from a newbie.

• Thread starter GrumpAzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

So you are going to run 1 plant in each tub? Centered?

How much space do you have above to accommodate very large plants?
I planned on the spiderfarmer 4'x4'x6.5' tent. The totes are roughly 18" tall and I'd hoped to LST and SCROG to keep the plants as close to 3' tall as I can. I may be too optimistic but that's the idea. If I have to flower early, so be it. I can see how the 18 gallons would be overkill at that point and maybe make adjustments for the next round.

Would the larger volume be easier to keep the water quality stable? The tubs were cheap and sourced locally so it's not an issue to downsize my total water volume. This would, in turn, save some money on nutrients.

Were there any other issues you saw with the initial design? I assume an amount of trial and error comes with every setup eventually, but can you see any obvious shortcomings I could avoid from the start?

Any thoughts on the "nano bubble bar?"

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I planned on the spiderfarmer 4'x4'x6.5' tent. The totes are roughly 18" tall and I'd hoped to LST and SCROG to keep the plants as close to 3' tall as I can. I may be too optimistic but that's the idea. If I have to flower early, so be it. I can see how the 18 gallons would be overkill at that point and maybe make adjustments for the next round.

Would the larger volume be easier to keep the water quality stable? The tubs were cheap and sourced locally so it's not an issue to downsize my total water volume. This would, in turn, save some money on nutrients.

Were there any other issues you saw with the initial design? I assume an amount of trial and error comes with every setup eventually, but can you see any obvious shortcomings I could avoid from the start?

Any thoughts on the "nano bubble bar?"
I'm thinking this would be a better setup for 4 plants vegged shorter. Or 1 plant vegged longer.

18 gals is way overkill on a plant that only has 3' of vertical space to work with, and that is if the light is touching the top of the tent. These are not trees my friend. So your root zone is sized for trees and your grow zone is sized for short plants. You have an imbalance built in.

Yes, more water makes for more stability.

Keep in mind that the roots, especially tap roots from seedlings will continue to grow until it meets a resistance. Like the bottom of a pot. Your pots are HUGE and I do grow trees and could not use an 18 gallon plant site. 13 is plenty for me. Take a look at @smokedareefer setup, he has like 10' above the plants and still uses smaller pots than you.

My fear is that you will be spending so much veg time growing roots that you can never use, kinda like putting a plow on a racehorse.

The nano bubble bar - great concept but I think you will find it clogs daily and becomes a normal stone in terms of the size of the bubbles it releases in a system filled with nutes. The vast majority of pores will clog and the air gets pushed thru many less holes making big bubbles.

GrumpAzz

GrumpAzz

I'm thinking this would be a better setup for 4 plants vegged shorter. Or 1 plant vegged longer.

18 gals is way overkill on a plant that only has 3' of vertical space to work with, and that is if the light is touching the top of the tent. These are not trees my friend. So your root zone is sized for trees and your grow zone is sized for short plants. You have an imbalance built in.

Yes, more water makes for more stability.

Keep in mind that the roots, especially tap roots from seedlings will continue to grow until it meets a resistance. Like the bottom of a pot. Your pots are HUGE and I do grow trees and could not use an 18 gallon plant site. 13 is plenty for me. Take a look at @smokedareefer setup, he has like 10' above the plants and still uses smaller pots than you.

My fear is that you will be spending so much veg time growing roots that you can never use, kinda like putting a plow on a racehorse.

The nano bubble bar - great concept but I think you will find it clogs daily and becomes a normal stone in terms of the size of the bubbles it releases in a system filled with nutes. The vast majority of pores will clog and the air gets pushed thru many less holes making big bubbles.
Thanks for all of this.

I want to keep it at 2 plants. I'm new and this is all pretty in depth, so I'm trying to get as many grows out of the ten seeds I purchased (11 counting the freebie) as possible. I'm just concerned with a mistake or lapse in judgment of mine wiping out 4 plants. Seeds are relatively inexpensive, I suppose.

I planned for a pretty large air pump. I wonder if the higher pressure would help keep the hole on the bubbler from clogging up so quickly.

I think I'll scrap my drawing for the scrog rack and go with something a little more like this.
Screenshot 20230122 094432 Chrome

It looks like this guy is taking up a 2x2 area per plant. I'd like to form one plant into a 2x4 area and try growing it a little more horizontally.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Bubble Bar:

Pump:

Resevoirs:

Meter and Pens:

I've gone a different route with Bluelab as opposed to Apera after saving some money with GH instead of AN. I've really been eyeing the meter with the green numbers for easier visibility. With GH, aside from the price, I'll end up using about a third of what AN's feed chart suggested. Less chemicals in my little room.

I went with bigger totes for the resevoir assuming more water meant a little more stability with the added advantage of massive roots. So yeah, to answer your question, I guess I plan to grow massive trees.

Here's a rough sketch from a couple nights ago. I've made a couple changes since then. I meant the drainage pipes to the resevoir when I said 2" return. I plan on using the same pump to empty the totes during water changes. The variable flow will come in handy there. The tent will be in a room where I can send the runoff out to my garden.
View attachment 1322232
I have yet to order anything, just added to and updated several carts. I'm open to suggestions and am always a fan of going bigger, so 3" won't deter me. I was initially planning with 3" but was hesitant simply over the price jump on fittings.

I've got a neat little scrog rack I've also been working on. It's for sure in it's baby stages, so judge lightly.View attachment 1322236
Plywood base. Stailess eye-hooks. 1/2" or 3/4" EMT (Electrician by trade) rack frame with 2'x4' outer dimensions. All-thread support system at the top. All that painted with white flexseal aside from the hooks. Then notch and sleeve white PVC over the EMT to support the trellis system. All this was the product of a hypothetical root rot dilemma and how to remove a potentially tied up plant to wash it's roots. Highly convoluted plan. It was a late night stoned daydream turned visionquest.
just catching up on this thread.

very similar with what i'm in the works of setting up. after seeing a few fallponic setups i decided this is what i want to build.

i've got everything ordered, just waiting on the mail. unfortunately two items are delayed until the beginning of March. I've decided to completely do away with my air pump and air stones and i'm doing a 3 venturi manifold in the res on a massive DC Jebao pump (says 1710 gph max).

thanks for these! this is exactly what i need as well, but didn't know exists

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

I've got 3 18 gallon rubbermaids in a 4x5. 3 plants max per container as the roots will overgrow.

First is 6 mother's in 18gal. Superdense and I struggle to keep it watered.

Second is 3 mother's in 18 gal

Using this pump

And then bought these.

More water = less ph and temp fluctuations

IMG 20230203 105939
IMG 20230203 110015
ninjadip

ninjadip

if you need more pumps

i'm done with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom