Advice for blue prints on next run

• Thread starter ninjadip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ninjadip

ninjadip

So I'm near the end of my first run. I quickly realized I need a wider and taller tent. I want to discuss my plans for the next flower run.
I think I have a solid plan down here, but would like some input from the community. If I have omitted any needed information just ask.

I will list the equipment first:

4'x4'x80" grow tent.
2x GROPLANNER LED Grow Light (150W; 2.75 umol/j)
5x SZABEST UV1000 Bloom Light LED Grow Light with UV, FAR RED, and IR (30w; 395, 660, and 760 nm LED chips))

This totals
520 watts of PAR light
150 watts of UVA/Far red light

Total: 670 watts

This is how I plan on setting it up
Advice for blue prints on next run

I am unsure if I should have the 150w LEDs in the middle of the tent or on the ends... ?
And advice?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

So I'm near the end of my first run. I quickly realized I need a wider and taller tent. I want to discuss my plans for the next flower run.
I think I have a solid plan down here, but would like some input from the community. If I have omitted any needed information just ask.

I will list the equipment first:

4'x4'x80" grow tent.
2x GROPLANNER LED Grow Light (150W; 2.75 umol/j)
5x SZABEST UV1000 Bloom Light LED Grow Light with UV, FAR RED, and IR (30w; 395, 660, and 760 nm LED chips))

This totals
520 watts of PAR light
150 watts of UVA/Far red light

Total: 670 watts

This is how I plan on setting it up
View attachment 1278881

I am unsure if I should have the 150w LEDs in the middle of the tent or on the ends... ?
And advice?

I don't see any glaring issues in your setup. Your lighting, the UVA/red +IR addons are fine ... just know that UVB around 290nm-310nm is where the largest impact of UV is seen on THC production, but that doesn't make UVA useless. It has its place.

The biggest question I have is will you have room for 8 plants in your 4 x 4? Heights-wise at 80" is easy to work with. The 48" x 48" part will be tight for 8 flowering plants.

Reactions: PK1
ninjadip

ninjadip

Yeah I'm wondering that myself. The goal is to do shorter runs with small veg time to aid with the size and hopefully more runs per year.

I think 6 would be ideal, but I already have the equipment for 8.

Should I position the stronger led lights in the center of the tent or the outside?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Some of the light from the stronger light will make it to each of the sides. The other lights can fill in the intensity missing from the light spill over of the larger light. This would be especially true (reflected light) in a tent with reflective surfaces all around.

Smaller plants will make your space more workable, but for reference I would typically put 4 to 5 plants in a 5 x 5. Pot included, my plants from the floor up are usually 4'-4.5' tall.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Some of the light from the stronger light will make it to each of the sides. The other lights can fill in the intensity missing from the light spill over of the larger light. This would be especially true (reflected light) in a tent with reflective surfaces all around.

Smaller plants will make your space more workable, but for reference I would typically put 4 to 5 plants in a 5 x 5. Pot included, my plants from the floor up are usually 4'-4.5' tall.
Thank you for your input, I can tell it comes from experience.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thank you for your input, I can tell it comes from experience.
What I haven't seen is anything about ventilation. For healthy plants you'll need to keep air moving both inside the tent (oscillating fans) and airflow through your tent (usually a carbon scrubber filter system.) Don't overlook these areas because they are critical for your plants.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Oh I forgot to add that, 4 pole fans, 2 that oscillate. Intake inline and exhaust, I forget the specs. The lung room is always 72-74 a dehumidifier in addition to the a/c

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Oh I forgot to add that, 4 pole fans, 2 that oscillate. Intake inline and exhaust, I forget the specs. The lung room is always 72-74
With lights on, I can see temps settling nicely in the 80f-84f (LED lights) comfort zone very easily, and night time temps would always be comfortable.

Reactions: PK1
ninjadip

ninjadip

With lights on, I can see temps settling nicely in the 80f-84f (LED lights) comfort zone very easily, and night time temps would always be comfortable.
Right now in a 2x4 with two lights I'm at 80-84 inside the tent with lights on, two oscillating pole fans come on with lights on, inline intake and exhaust always on, and a steady 50% rh. Varies with lights off, how cold I want it.

Might need to upgrade exhaust or intake though with new setup

pilto

pilto

I would suggest that if you don't already own those lights, to get something better.

ninjadip

ninjadip

I don't want to get into to it too much but there are bad cheap LEDs and good cheap LEDs. The weicrea brand uses Samsung LEDs and a meanwell driver, it has a video of the live PAR test using an Appogee meter, and a 3rd party testing certificate, not just random par charts like most cheap lights. I'm using those two now, very good.

It's going to be a good grow for sure, I'm about 2-3 weeks left on the current one that has gone exceedingly well for my first.

Screenshot 20220906 143541
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'd run what you have since you already own them. If after a few grows, you still like them stay with them. If not, upgrade them when the time is right. We all have our preferences. Mine are bar style light fixtures. I like the more even light spread and I don't have a hot spot in the middle of the board. However, I've also grown a lot of bud under quantum boards. They do the job nicely so no complaints there. Samsung diodes and meanwell drivers are certainly a huge plus. Enjoy ....

ninjadip

ninjadip

I would suggest that if you don't already own those lights, to get something better.
But in hindsight, I really love the way the big bar LED setups are, phlizon/spider farmer seems to be a good price. Just didn't plan on getting a bigger tent, etc...

Maybe I'll win a top shelf light in one of these giveaways, that'd be sweet.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
what type of grow are you going to do? soil, coco, hydro?

ninjadip

ninjadip

what type of grow are you going to do? soil, coco, hydro?
I really want to do rwdc but intimidated by rigging the whole setup up. Cause I have this dwc set, I know it could be coverted into rwdc, but that would require a huge reservoir and my room has no access to water or a drain. In apartment.
I know it's a headache with all those buckets and dwc... But my options are limited and I feel young today lol

PK1

PK1

Supporter
ya, rdwc does need a resivor but to be honest i've had great grows with dwc. slightly different but not much.
@Moe.Red and @Aqua Man can give you great tips for dwc

ninjadip

ninjadip

ya, rdwc does need a resivor but to be honest i've had great grows with dwc. slightly different but not much.
@Moe.Red and @Aqua Man can give you great tips for dwc
Yeah I have conversed with each of them, aqua man more than Moe. I am really impressed with Moe's setup, and both have valuable expertise. When I have a different place I'll follow some of Moe's advice out there about how to do DIY RWDC the best.
I have seen your name all over the boards as well, and appreciate your time.

ninjadip

ninjadip

After looking at my current tent that has two lights I see there is no way I'll get four of them in a row in a 4' tent.
These are the new plans:
I figure if each light is rated for 2x2 (the 150w: 3x3) then I'll put each one in a 2x2 block.

PXL 20220908 010751482
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

After looking at my current tent that has two lights I see there is no way I'll get four of them in a row in a 4' tent.
These are the new plans:
I figure if each light is rated for 2x2 (the 150w: 3x3) then I'll put each one in a 2x2 block.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt 8 plants in a 4 x 4. 4 plants would fit nicely. The space fills up and if its too crowded, you'll have unhealthy plants. Humidity will become a problem. Your plants need to breathe to be healthy. They also really don't like to touch each other and you shouldn't want them to either. You'll have more success with either a bigger grow area (8 x4) or fewer plants.

Edit: It would not be too hard to pull 4 oz per plant. 1 lb per run. After a few runs, you'll likely get more just because you're getting better at it.

Last edited:
ninjadip

ninjadip

Personally, I wouldn't attempt 8 plants in a 4 x 4. 4 plants would fit nicely. The space fills up and if its too crowded, you'll have unhealthy plants. Humidity will become a problem. Your plants need to breathe to be healthy. They also really don't like to touch each other and you shouldn't want them to either. You'll have more success with either a bigger grow area (8 x4) or fewer plants.
I am becoming more convinced you are right... So sad. Just don't have room for 4x8. Yeah I better do 4 plants and stop being greedy, it'll just backfire. In my head I was thinking of like a SOG. Shorter grows, with more plants.

Last edited:
Top Bottom