Advice for seedling

• Thread starter buddhaBudman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

Wondering if I should pot up my little girl before putting her outside or if she should go right in her final big container. When I did indoors I always potted up gradually for ideal root growth. Last time I did an outdoor grow I had them pretty large in vegetative before I set them out. I'm pretty behind this year and I'd like her to get going as soon as possible. Do you think she'll grow quicker if I put her out in a big container now? I've been exposing her to sunshine / partial shade more and more everyday. I got her as a clone and as you can see from the pics she's not super healthy. She's in promix soil blend with a little bit of worm castings and kelp.

This is her:

Advice for seedling 4

When I got the clone there was one bottom leaf with a bit of yellowing and necrosis (very little bit). I'm not sure if the yellowing is overwatering, ph, lack of nutrients. I'm thinking the breeder was using synthetic nutes to propagate the clones. So maybe she's not used to the slow nute release of organics, bit of a drop in nutes she's used to? The yellowing got a bit worse but now looks like it is getting a little greener from where it was (it might be the outdoor light is helping). There is a bit of curling at the tips that looks like heat stress but I do keep a little fan on her and the fluorescent bulb is pretty far from her when she's inside under light. It might be from being outside as it's been really hot here the last few days. I'm concerned with the necro spot on the top leaf. Also there are some roots visible at the bottom of her container so there is root growth.

This is the two big containers I'm considering. One is a burlap sack and the other a big black plastic pot. The burlap's pros are it provides good breath-ability for roots and it doesn't retain moisture very long (which could be a pro and con?). The large black pot is deeper, will retain more moisture (I need to drill a bunch of holes in the bottom for drainage). The black pot will get warmer from the sun also. I'm leaning towards the burlap sac. It will also hold a ton of soil. I planned to fill it more than the sack pictured here with the tomato.

Advice for seedling

Advice for seedling 2

This is the pot I was considering potting up to next if I don't put her in the big final home. It's about 10" diameter and 8" high.

Advice for seedling 3

Any thoughts and advice appreciated!

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey Buddha, I'm kind of a strict up pot guy , especially with seedlings , since they are a bit more fragile
But in the case of a strong clone going outside , I've had good luck going straight to final large pot or even directly into ground , I feel like when they take off under the sun , there will be a deep root drive and you can just let them get their feet going as long as you can maintain a decent moisture consistancy , you know , without creating a muddy bottom that will inhibit good root movement , I like to stand over my containers with a mist setting on my hose till things take hold , being careful not to drench the new transplant .... Then I think you will be fine and in 2 weeks , healthy root should take hold
Just my experience , others may disagree
Hope that helps

dire wolf

dire wolf

Taking a closer look at your clone , I would up pot , she looks like she might need some tender care to get healthy , she looks a little weak to me with the dis colored stem and weak leaf color , might be better to get her stronger before putting her into another shock situation.....
Sorry I didn't read all the way thru , concerning the health issue , also the title of the thread is a little misleading , she's a clone not a seedling , right ?

Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

Did you pop her out and see if her root system is developed in the present container ?

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

I've had good luck going straight to final large pot or even directly into ground , I feel like when they take off under the sun , there will be a deep root drive
This is actually what a breeder recommended. Said it wasn't necessary to pot up. The clone looked so little though I felt like she'd be washed away by rain so I did pot up into the container you see her in now.

, I would up pot , she looks like she might need some tender care to get healthy
Yes, I am concerned for her. Not sure what's going on.

Did you pop her out and see if her root system is developed in the present container ?
I didn't. I'm a bit hesitant to put her through any shock, if I pop her out I feel like I should repot at that time. I do see however roots at the bottom drain holes. My guess is there is some roots growing but it's probably not near root bound or anything.

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

I guess I'm wondering if potting up will actually be easier on her. That maybe going right outside in the big container will let her roots grow big and deep and get really established. Maybe the inside lighting isn't sufficient and a little toughness from wind and sun will make her toughen up. Or on the other hand, like you imply she might not be up for it and take a turn for the worse outside. If I pot up should I still keep her inside mostly? Or is it time for her to start spending most of her time outside? I was thinking of only bringing her in for the night which I'm mostly doing now. She comes in at around 8pm and get's more light under a fluorescent until 1am.

Last edited:
buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

I've moved her into a room with a humidifier and I'm gonna let her dry out completely before watering her. She's pretty dry but I'm gonna wait for later in the evening. I think I might keep her inside by the window for few days a bit and monitor her. I might even stop the supplemental fluorescent light and just let her take in some mild north facing sunlight naturally through the day. Maybe she needs a break from outside.

dire wolf

dire wolf

I guess I'm wondering if potting up will actually be easier on her. That maybe going right outside in the big container will let her roots grow big and deep and get really established. Maybe the inside lighting isn't sufficient and a little toughness from wind and sun will make her toughen up. Or on the other hand, like you imply she might not be up for it and take a turn for the worse outside. If I pot up should I still keep her inside mostly? Or is it time for her to start spending most of her time outside? I was thinking of only bringing her in for the night which I'm mostly doing now. She comes in at around 8pm and get's more light under a fluorescent until 1am.
Yea , everybody's a " breeder" even me 😹
But he may not be giving thoughtful advice , I'd say up pot , nurse her back to health , slowly , may take 2 weeks , then go for it.....
I'm gonna re read your medium and try to give some helpful advice

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

Immediately or should I baby her a bit and look for improvement first?
If it were me? I'd do it now as long as she is hardened off.

My friend had a little sickly plant and she finally listened to me and put her out. She has doubled in size every week getting healthier and healthier.

Get some mykos and inoculate the roots and watch her explode.

dire wolf

dire wolf

I'd say maybe up pot her now , the frehh medium can help her stabilize ,but I'm not sure exactly what she's been thru already to be in that condition , if your " breeder" gave her to you like that in clone form , he wasn't doing you any favor......

dire wolf

dire wolf

My friend had a little sickly plant and she finally listened to me and put her out. She has doubled in size every week getting healthier and healthier.

Yea that can work too ....

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

So you're thinking pot up and set her out. Pot up to the medium beige pot I showed or right into the big container? I have some mykos additive but they are really old. I dunno their shelf life.

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

I'd say maybe up pot her now , the frehh medium can help her stabilize ,but I'm not sure exactly what she's been thru already to be in that condition , if your " breeder" gave her to you like that in clone form , he wasn't doing you any favor......
The clone he gave had good root production but one bottom leaf was a little burnt and yellow, everything else was healthy at that point.

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

So you're thinking pot up and set her out. Pot up to the medium beige pot I showed or right into the big container? I have some mykos additive but they are really old. I dunno their shelf life.
As long as you have good healthy soil to put her in then yes into the final pot. And I would still use the mykos even if it is old. It wont hurt it ...and you take the chance that some of it is still good.

dire wolf

dire wolf

The clone he gave had good root production but one bottom leaf was a little burnt and yellow, everything else was healthy at that point.
Ok , so he gave you a good rooted clone and things went a little off , I get it ...
Do you have a one gal pot ? Might be better , if not go ahead and put in brown ( small) pot you have , but make sure there is plenty of perlite or good drainage , I'm still on the fence , if your plant looks like it does , it might really suffer from a direct outdoor transplant right now
If it was me , I'd get a one gallon pot , some fox farm or similar gentle soil , enhance it with 25 % perlite and put it under an adequate led or t5 flouro, and nurse it back to health under 18 hours of light without constantly disturbing it ......
But if you have limits , then just put it inside the small brown pot , give it some shade and don't overwater outside , she can just explode like discussed , but can also crap out , just be prepared ....

Latest posts

Top Bottom