Advice for seedling

• Thread starter buddhaBudman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

As long as you have good healthy soil to put her in then yes into the final pot. And I would still use the mykos even if it is old. It wont hurt it ...and you take the chance that some of it is still good.
Ya I have Berger BM6 High porosity I plan to use. Was going to mix in some cow + sheep manure and kelp, but not too much. Any tips of ratios?

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

Ya I have Berger BM6 High porosity I plan to use. Was going to mix in some cow + sheep manure and kelp, but not too much. Any tips of ratios?
I only grow in 100% composted cow manure. No dirt at all. As far as the kelp
..just follow the directions on the bag.

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

Thx for all your advice again guys. I'm going to review it all. Perhaps meditate and than make some moves. I will proceed cautiously. Going to run out to do errands and will be back this evening.

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

Wow, don't you have drainage issues? Looking at your pictures of TREES I guess not.
Haha! No but we get a lot of rain here so that is why fabric pots are a must.

The manure keeps the roots warmer too when it gets so fricken cold...allowing me to have a longer season. Its loaded with yrs worth of worm castings and can hold water a bit better then normal soil can. I do have to amend it with dry nutes ...but i use the pre bagged stuff like espoma or jobes because its inoculated.

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

Haha! No but we get a lot of rain here so that is why fabric pots are a must.

The manure keeps the roots warmer too when it gets so fricken cold...allowing me to have a longer season. Its loaded with yrs worth of worm castings and can hold water a bit better then normal soil can. I do have to amend it with dry nutes ...but i use the pre bagged stuff like espoma or jobes because its inoculated.
Now you got me thinking I should pick up more manure and do at least 50 / 50 with the BM6. Do you put seedlings right in 100% manure or are they fairly established in a different medium first?

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

Now you got me thinking I should pick up more manure and do at least 50 / 50 with the BM6. Do you put seedlings right in 100% manure or are they fairly established in a different medium first?
I sprout them in it. When its composted it's not hot at all
After trying everything else....I wont grow any other way.

However I use farm manure not the bagged stuff.

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

I sprout them in it. When its composted it's not hot at all
After trying everything else....I wont grow any other way.

However I use farm manure not the bagged stuff.
Oh I see, do you think if used bagged it might be too hot to use in that high a ratio?

Dan789

Dan789

Is anyone else seeing failure on the horizon here...? Sorry not to be all rosy with the prognosis, but you’ve gotten several widely differing bits of growing advice, and you don’t seem to be grasping that the carefully proportioned ratio’s of ff or one of the other basic growing soils are just made for growers like yourself without experience. Hopefully you’ll get it, before those visions of huge trees evaporate into a sorry little plant without the right soil drying up, and dying before your eyes.

Dan789

Dan789

Hey Dan , you didn't like my advice ? Just curious , not being defensive , what would you suggest that I didn't ?
@dire wolf agree with your advice, but diverge slightly in that I'm firmly behind up potting as the plant grows. No worries you gave sound advice. I'm indoor only now, learning the dangers putting plants outdoors, would love to grow some monsters like others, but am fine not having the constant battle with pests.
PS, also keeping under the radar of my neighbors doesn't keep me awake at night , as I'm in a suburb where though it's in California is so conservative, I know hard to believe...

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

are just made for growers like yourself without experience
Actually I'm not totally green. I've had a successful indoor grow and tended two or three mothers and cloned a bunch successfully. I've also done an outdoor grow, but as I stated I put them out when they were much larger in vegetative.

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

Man I don't enjoy going out and about these days. I got her an inexpensive led grow light. I was using a small cfl from a previous grow that's quite old and I know they loose some of their power over time. I plan to pot her up soon and nurse her a bit inside, maybe giving her a couple hours here and there outside depending how she's looking and the weather. But I do want to get her out soon. I think it's a bit too hot right now. I'm sort of amalgamating all the great advice so far. Thanks!

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

I tested the ph of the runoff water and it looks like it's 8.5+. I've been watering with rain water. Reading I can add a touch of grape juice to pull it down next watering? I have some ph down but it's unfortunately in storage along with a lot of my other grow toys. I have some distilled water (should be 5 - 7 ph but I'll test) maybe I'll switch to that. Tested the rain water I'm using and it looks to be about the same as the runoff.

dire wolf

dire wolf

I only grow in 100% composted cow manure. No dirt at all. As far as the kelp
..just follow the directions on the bag.
[
Hey Buddha, I'm kind of a strict up pot guy , especially with seedlings , since they are a bit more fragile
But in the case of a strong clone going outside , I've had good luck going straight to final large pot or even directly into ground , I feel like when they take off under the sun , there will be a deep root drive and you can just let them get their feet going as long as you can maintain a decent moisture consistancy , you know , without creating a muddy bottom that will inhibit good root movement , I like to stand over my containers with a mist setting on my hose till things take hold , being careful not to drench the new transplant .... Then I think you will be fine and in 2 weeks , healthy root should take hold
Just my experience , others may disagree
Hope that helps
hey Dan , I agree , see first sentence " I'm a strick up pot kind of guy "
Well we all offer the best advice we can , and everyone learns thru experience , so it's all good .......

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

I wouldn't even bother with bagged manure to be honest.
Unfortunately that's all I have access to. I've had great success using it in my veggie gardens. So hopefully it will be OK. I won't use the aggressive ratios you do however just to be safe.

Dan789

Dan789

I tested the ph of the runoff water and it looks like it's 8.5+. I've been watering with rain water. Reading I can add a touch of grape juice to pull it down next watering? I have some ph down but it's unfortunately in storage along with a lot of my other grow toys. I have some distilled water (should be 5 - 7 ph but I'll test) maybe I'll switch to that. Tested the rain water I'm using and it looks to be about the same as the runoff.
Vinegar, lemon juice are both acid’s to bring down ph in lieu of ph down...

buddhaBudman

buddhaBudman

Rereading the thread. It evolved quickly and I missed some points.

I feel like when they take off under the sun , there will be a deep root drive and you can just let them get their feet going as long as you can maintain a decent moisture consistancy
I agree with this hypothesis.

might be better to get her stronger before putting her into another shock situation
Also agree. Going to nurse her under a new LED light. Also going to try to get the ph in check as it's reading really high right now. Also heat wave where I'm at so not ideal to put her out in her state me thinks.

also the title of the thread is a little misleading , she's a clone not a seedling , right ?
Sorry for that, not sure of where that line between clone and seedling exists. I got her in a rockwool plug as a clone. I planted her in the green little pot you see now and once I did that I guess I considered her a seedling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom