Advice On A Good Potting Mix

• Thread starter NoScope209
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NoScope209

Hi I'm looking for a good easy recipe for a potting mix suitable for an outdoor autoflower. So far I have coco coir, perlite, vermiculite and worm castings. Also what's a good pot size for an auto? I'm using biobizz range of nutrients

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
25% coco
25% peat
15% aeration
20% ewc
5% neem meal
5% manure
5% bat guano

In a 5 gallon pot you can probably go straight water in a mix like this from start to finish with autos. At least it’ll get you close depending on the appetite of the plant. This is what i use give or take couple of % and less coco.

But if you are going to bottle feed then you may want to go with;

30% coco
30% peat
15% aeration
25% ewc

This type of mix should get you thru the veg easy but you’ll have to feed in flower.

Anyway these recipes are somewhat what i use and i have been happy with them. Basic recipes that will grow happy plants.

If you want to complicate things, people add, gypsum, azomite, karanja meal, greensand etc etc. I don’t and i’m happy.

N

NoScope209

Thanks for the reply! When you say peat do you mean peat moss? I've been told to keep away from it due to being very acidic. Doesn't coco serve the same purpose? Also isn't 15% perlite a bit little? Everywhere I've read says 20%+
25% coco
25% peat
15% aeration
20% ewc
5% neem meal
5% manure
5% bat guano

In a 5 gallon pot you can probably go straight water in a mix like this from start to finish with autos. At least it’ll get you close depending on the appetite of the plant. This is what i use give or take couple of % and less coco.

But if you are going to bottle feed then you may want to go with;

30% coco
30% peat
15% aeration
25% ewc

This type of mix should get you thru the veg easy but you’ll have to feed in flower.

Anyway these recipes are somewhat what i use and i have been happy with them. Basic recipes that will grow happy plants.

If you want to complicate things, people add, gypsum, azomite, karanja meal, greensand etc etc. I don’t and i’m happy.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Thanks for the reply! When you say peat do you mean peat moss? I've been told to keep away from it due to being very acidic. Doesn't coco serve the same purpose? Also isn't 15% perlite a bit little? Everywhere I've read says 20%+

The peat moss you’ll find in stores are mostly buffered with lime already. The ph of the material usually specified on the packaging. For example biobizz light-mix is peat based and the ph is suitable for growing cannabis.

Straight coco when dries will cause problems and outside that may not be avoidable.

After you mix your medium, do a slurry test. Let it “cook” for a while and before you transplant do another slurry test and be sure your ph is in the right spot.

Coco acts as an aeration material too ime. It holds sufficient air. So you can dial your aeration down a bit.

Anyway thats my logic.

N

NoScope209

The peat moss you’ll find in stores are mostly buffered with lime already. The ph of the material usually specified on the packaging. For example biobizz light-mix is peat based and the ph is suitable for growing cannabis.

Straight coco when dries will cause problems and outside that may not be avoidable.

After you mix your medium, do a slurry test. Let it “cook” for a while and before you transplant do another slurry test and be sure your ph is in the right spot.

Coco acts as an aeration material too ime. It holds sufficient air. So you can dial your aeration down a bit.

Anyway thats my logic.
Wouldn't vermiculite also work as it holds moisture. That will prevent the coco from drying completely. I have a bag of sphagnum peat moss and it doesn't state pH. I'd rather stay away from it as I don't have means of testing it

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Wouldn't vermiculite also work as it holds moisture. That will prevent the coco from drying completely. I have a bag of sphagnum peat moss and it doesn't state pH. I'd rather stay away from it as I don't have means of testing it

Don’t know. It may. Compost holds much water too. I would just get a ph meter and do a slurry test. Straight coco outdoors doesn’t sound very appealing to me. People keep coco always moist. “If it dries you’re phucked” is the general consensus about coco. Amended coco mix, how does it act, i don’t know never used it like that. Anyway, i’m sure more people will chime in, this is what works for me.

N

NoScope209

Don’t know. It may. Compost holds much water too. I would just get a ph meter and do a slurry test. Straight coco outdoors doesn’t sound very appealing to me. People keep coco always moist. “If it dries you’re phucked” is the general consensus about coco. Amended coco mix, how does it act, i don’t know never used it like that. Anyway, i’m sure more people will chime in, this is what works for me.
I didn't know that coco drying out was a bad thing. How do guys grow in coco? Never let it dry?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I didn't know that coco drying out was a bad thing. How do guys grow in coco? Never let it dry?

I don’t grow in straight coco but coco people don’t ever let it dry. At the peak growth phase people water 2-3 times daily. Coco is very different compared to peat. It doesn’t act the same. Amended coco i have no idea. Never used it but i don’t think it will be too different.

N

NoScope209

I don’t grow in straight coco but coco people don’t ever let it dry. At the peak growth phase people water 2-3 times daily. Coco is very different compared to peat. It doesn’t act the same. Amended coco i have no idea. Never used it but i don’t think it will be too different.
I wonder if this would work but instead of peat add coco coir and instead of compost ewc. Is there a reason why you use both coco and peat? Sorry about the questions lol I've failed a couple of times and really want to get to the bottom of it

Screenshot 20190215 182533
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I wonder if this would work but instead of peat add coco coir and instead of compost ewc. Is there a reason why you use both coco and peat? Sorry about the questions lol I've failed a couple of times and really want to get to the bottom of it

Yes. I use a bit of coco, like 10% because of its aeration and water holding capacity.

Again, outdoors, i would just go with garden soil or peat and you can use this recipe like that. I wouldnt replace peat with coco in this mix outdoors. Thats just me.

N

NoScope209

Yes. I use a bit of coco, like 10% because of its aeration and water holding capacity.

Again, outdoors, i would just go with garden soil or peat and you can use this recipe like that. I wouldnt replace peat with coco in this mix outdoors. Thats just me.
I think adding 50/50 perlite and vermiculite at 30% should be good. Then the rest ewc and coir. I'm hoping someone with experience with coco coir and vermiculite will be able to help

Top Bottom