Advice on ammending black gold organic

• Thread starter corn.everywhere
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
corn.everywhere

corn.everywhere

Hey all, I'm in the middle of my second autoflower grow with afghan Ryder auto in fox farm happy frog. Since a.my first round with them was riddled with self inflicted nutrient issues and b.i still have a lot of ffhf left, i figured I'd rather experiment with the afghan auto than the new Barneys gorilla zkittlez photos i picked up. Shes a bit of a runt but shes had maintained good health up to this point. Regardless, I'm just not a fan of the presence of all the sticks in the ffhf. We have always used black gold organic with our house plants, that is until the local nursery stopped carrying it. However, I can order it via in store delivery to most of the big box stores which is what I have done beings I always did like the consistency of that particular soil. Since cannabis is not legal in my state (at least until july unless our tyrannical state government overturns the voter approved ammendment) I do want to avoid ordering large bags of soil straight to my doorstep, hence why I'm not going with roots. The only ammending I have really done with my fox farm in the past is adding perlite and a bit of lime to sweeten it up a bit. that being, I would like to do a bit more with the black gold. i have not found a whole lot of info regarding this soil though. here are the amendments I intend on using with my black gold, mostly just looking for others experience and maybe some recommendations. I am also open to advise for or against black gold and the amendments I've picked up so far.
-hy-yield bone meal
-hy-yield blood meal
-worm gold plus worm castings
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077YR5163?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
-down to earth kelp meal
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011L3T672?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
-down to earth bat guano
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07MZK6H3H?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
-xtreme gardening mykos
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M21FOD8?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
-perlite
I can include links for the bone and blood meal if needed, I picked them up from my local nursery. Again I'm new to ammending my own soil and really am just looking for some constructive input. thank you all in advance!

Homesteader

Homesteader

I like to amend with gypsum, the pelleted works best, I have no expierence with your soil mix but worm castings will be a good choice to add if you can afford it.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Down to Earth Bio Live
Down to Earth Vegan Blend
Dr Earth Flower Girl

Are my go tos as of late.
For my outdoor I would just top-dress with the dry amendments right around the drip lines and water in teas and ferments and it worked out well.

With my indoor I am trying something new, I am mixing the dry amendments with worm castings weeks ahead of time and then letting them sit in breathable containers. Then topdressing with the enriched castings. I will have to let you know after harvest how it goes, but so far so good.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Your missing a K boost in your amendments as well as some trace but black gold should come with half way decent ratios. Over the counter EWC are just total crap, even the 50$ bags of roots are a world different from what comes outta my tubs. Bio live from DTE has most of that and more, just get a big ol bag of that. You want the best? Make you own, you can reuse your waste, and for NO cost create something better. Keep waste outta the landfill, and in your pipe!!!

corn.everywhere

corn.everywhere

I like to amend with gypsum, the pelleted works best, I have no expierence with your soil mix but worm castings will be a good choice to add if you can afford it.
thank you! I will certainly read up on the gypsum a bit!
Down to Earth Bio Live
Down to Earth Vegan Blend
Dr Earth Flower Girl

Are my go tos as of late.
For my outdoor I would just top-dress with the dry amendments right around the drip lines and water in teas and ferments and it worked out well.

With my indoor I am trying something new, I am mixing the dry amendments with worm castings weeks ahead of time and then letting them sit in breathable containers. Then topdressing with the enriched castings. I will have to let you know after harvest how it goes, but so far so good.
that certainly soundsinteresting, thank you for the advice. Teas have certainly peaked my interest. up to this point the little bit of feeding I have done has been with general hydroponics, however I do want to go completely organic at some point. I will look into those 3amendments, specifically the dte bio live.
Your missing a K boost in your amendments as well as some trace but black gold should come with half way decent ratios. Over the counter EWC are just total crap, even the 50$ bags of roots are a world different from what comes outta my tubs. Bio live from DTE has most of that and more, just get a big ol bag of that. You want the best? Make you own, you can reuse your waste, and for NO cost create something better. Keep waste outta the landfill, and in your pipe!!!
the more I have read about organic gardening, the more I continue to see people making their own worm castings. this is something that certainly interests me. I need to do some research on it for sure. I suspect you need to have a dedicated indoor area for it during the winter months at least. I do like the idea of being sustainable, so I will be looking into this! I am new to organic gardening but this is something that could benefit all of our plants in the house. I will look into the bio live, again really appreciate the advice

corn.everywhere

corn.everywhere

Hey all, so after a few months of plugging away finishing projects in my basement I finally got to start my 3rd grow. as mentioned previously in this thread I wanted to stick to all organic and build off of black gold. I went with down to earth trace minerals, kelp meal, bat guano, and bio live. on top of that I added a bag of worm gold worm castings, a fair bit of perlite, and high yield bone meal. as for amounts I pretty well stuck to the recommended amounts called out by the manufacturer. I started the seeds in a jiffy/perlite mix for a couple weeks before mixing my soil up and transplanting the girls into some 5 gallon smart pots. they have now been in this mix for about a week, they have exhibited extremely slow growth and all three are showing intervenial yellowing. after researching I realize that I should have let this soil compost for a minimum of 45 days. right now i am fairly concerned, I am a bit stuck between reporting them into gallon pots with straight black gold organic and perlite or leaving them in these 5 gallon pots of the soil I mixed and seeing if they snap out of it. I will add pictures, unfortunately I'm stuck at work until 5 am, so any advice in the meantime would mean alot. thank you all in advance

corn.everywhere

corn.everywhere

hey all, this may turn into a grow thread, partly for me to keep record of. I did end up keeping the girls in the same pots. I did make a few changes. I got rid of my big fan since it stopped oscillating and went with a couple smaller makeshift pole fans. I also raised the light up a bit, this is my first grow using the sf2000, i now have it at 26 inches and roughly 60 percent intensity. I have been toying with the idea of starting my jack herer seeds in my other 3x3, however I have 3 older 600 watt LEDs that are very inefficient that I was using in there. if I do start in that old tent I will probably be looking at getting another light, namely another sf2000 unless others can chime in otherwise. keep in mind 300 is at the top of my price range. if anything seems off about my current setup feel free to chime in. I'm aware it's a bit cool in the tent. I have a small space heater running in there currently that's able to maintain 72 degrees, however the window is open in this room and last night was in the 30s, so when I open the tent up the temp does drop a bit. Have a great Tuesday everyone!

20210504 054939
20210504 054943
20210504 054948
20210504 055508
Homesteader

Homesteader

Looking fairly good. Maybe a bit of mineral deficiency although your medium looks awfully dry. I know some like to grow that way but I am not one. I keep the soil moist until the end of flower. You can also help your humidity without the need of a humidifier by using the soil to regulate it. Probably not quite as effective in a tent but still the same principal. Dry soil makes dry air.

corn.everywhere

corn.everywhere

Looking fairly good. Maybe a bit of mineral deficiency although your medium looks awfully dry. I know some like to grow that way but I am not one. I keep the soil moist until the end of flower. You can also help your humidity without the need of a humidifier by using the soil to regulate it. Probably not quite as effective in a tent but still the same principal. Dry soil makes dry air.
pots are still quite heavy, I gave them each a fair bit of water when transplanting. I think they were probably a bit small for these pots, I'll probably do a watering tonight, not quite what I did initially though. I also did ph adjust on the first water to 6.5 since I'm mixing 50 percent tap water in (after letting it sit out). I think I'm going to try not ph adjusting, going straight r.o, and maybe add a small amount of roots cal mag. appreciate the input!

Last edited:
corn.everywhere

corn.everywhere

Just a little update on the garden, slowish growth has kinda been the theme for the last couple weeks. I decided to ditch the 50/50 mix of tap/ro water for straight ro and a little bit of roots cal mag to replace some of the mineral content lacking in the ro water. starting about a week and a half ago, I notice what looked like something has been munching on some of the upper growth of all 3 plants. I looked everywhere, no signs of pests in soil or anywhere in the tent for that matter. that particular problem hasnt really escalated so I havent gotten terribly concerned. furthermore, I have notice the newer growth to be a bit lighter color than I remember seeing, as well as a small amount of purpling in the veins. today the plants honestly just seemed really a bit depressed, a little croupier than normal and not as vibrant as they typically would be, maybe it's just me.
I will attatch some pictures, as always any input or criticism is greatly appreciated!

20210522 155634
20210522 155624
20210522 155622
20210522 155550
20210522 155700
20210522 155647
20210522 155641
20210522 155618
20210522 155605
20210522 155555
20210522 155551
freezeland2

freezeland2

I have a very similar hole in a leaf on one of my outdoor plants I noticed this evening. It was after sunset and too hard to see to do a search for the varmint pest that chewed it. I just sprayed all my outdoor plants with Pyganic. That should kill whatever is on my plants.

corn.everywhere

corn.everywhere

I have a very similar hole in a leaf on one of my outdoor plants I noticed this evening. It was after sunset and too hard to see to do a search for the varmint pest that chewed it. I just sprayed all my outdoor plants with Pyganic. That should kill whatever is on my plants.
interesting, mine started on the parameters of the leaves, and than I noticed some of the holes in the middle. I definitely look forward to a time when I can move my girls outdoors tho!

extractoilminussixty

extractoilminussixty

Old thread, but what the hell, I use Black Gold reason I’m posting this—

My Soil Mix ratio below 👇 : But, most important is a ~6-6.5 pH (st Louis water has alkalinity of 9–10 so plants can’t properly use nutrients, Prior to NOT using proper pH was the reason I was getting brown spots, dried leaves, yellowing, brown leaf tips etc. on every grow. Thinking they weren’t getting enough nutrients when they actually were they just couldn’t absorb them I kept giving them more, rookie mistake). Now I use pH down with liquid test drops & works great.

My Soil Mix:
1-StL Compost raised bed mix 18% (this is about two times heavier than FoxFarm ocean forest almost more of a black soil composure, Most large landscaping bulk supply CO’s have something equivalent)

2-FF Ocean forest. 32%

3-Black Gold Org. 32%

4-Black Kow Manure 18%
(Purchase at major hardware stores)

5-Hoffman Super Manure
(Chicken Manure Pellets)
((2-3 tsp per 3-4gallon pot sprinkled at top of soil
NPK 4-2-3 ,,,Mix into top 1” of soil 1x to 2x month - Amazon
This stuff is phenomenal. My wife now uses it on house plants and it’s night and day difference.
Pics below—
My 3rd grow with my new soil mix & proper pH, also using FF trio & Nuits feeding time chart & Black strap molasses (three times before day 40 & once a week after day 40-1Tbsp per Gal H2O, I use 3-4 5 Gal buckets Always filled and ready to go so chlorine can dissipate out)

I use LED blurples, So you can’t see the actual color of plants, but they are bright green and healthy per bottom pics.

Below are the same plants as above, but older my GSC F1’s…
Gangster Girl is the name of my OGK x GSC cross Day 58

So I posted all these pictures just to show the nice green and healthy plants…plants are averaging 1.4 to 3 Oz each.
I am extremely happy and plan on changing nothing…Several legal Medical Marijuana Missouri cultivator friends have followed my blueprint 100% with 100% success in their first grows this winter.
(I water every three days normally, around the clock method — water one pot with 20% water next part 20% etc. etc. come back to the first part another 20% and keep going around the clock until you see a little bit of trickle out of the bottom of the pot and done. This way your soil has had time to really absorb the water)
I forgot to mention my YIELD has gone up 30 to 40% on average.

🎶😎🎶

Latest posts

Top Bottom