Advice on first DWC

• Thread starter Twc0005
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Twc0005

Advice please before I make my first mistake with my first DWC grow. This is also my first photoperiod grow, but experienced growing auto's in soil for years.

I have had terrible experiences with rock wool, so that was not an option. I should have bought rapid rooters, but ended up with jiffy pellets instead😫

Seeds sprouted in jiffy pellets on Oct 6ths. I later realized this was my first mistake as I confused jiffy pellets with rapid rooters, etc. I read mixed opinions online as to their compatibility with DWC, ultimately concluding it wasn't optimal but could be done. 48 hours ago I moved the seedlings from their germination dome into 6" net pots with hydroton and into my 5 gal DWC buckets. At the time, roots where beginning to poke out of the jiffy pellets. Res level was about 1" above bottom of net pot when you factor in the aeration.

I noticed, the jiffy pellets seem pretty saturated. I assume, if I am going to have issues, it will be root rot from saturated pellets. At what level should I keep my res? I just reduced the levels to be even with the bottom of the net pot without pump running (about 1/4" above net pot with aeration). I want to ensure I don't over soak the jiffy pellet and also optimize root growth.

How long should I expect before roots grow through the net pot?
Should I go ahead and purchase additives (especially something for the roots?)

250watt (actual wattage) COB led in my 2x4 seedling tent 30" high ( I realize this it is overkill but I have an abundance of these lights)
RO H2O + Advance Nutes PH Perfect Grow, Micro, Bloom (currently mixed at a rate of 2ml of each per gallon)
PH 5.8 / 250PPM
60W active aqua 70LPM (1100 GPH) w/ one 4"x2" air stone per 5 gallon bucket (4 buckets total, hope to start 2 additional)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Nugg

Nugg

Water level depends...it your rockwool or whatever is getting wet...the water is to high...I fun about a 4-6" gap...I have plenty of bubbles to keep hydration damp...u can use those jiffys..just keep it high enough so as to not get wet..the roots will find water..

chemistry

chemistry

Hoover out the jiffy pellet, and replace it with hydroton.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Advice please before I make my first mistake with my first DWC grow. This is also my first photoperiod grow, but experienced growing auto's in soil for years.

I have had terrible experiences with rock wool, so that was not an option. I should have bought rapid rooters, but ended up with jiffy pellets instead😫

Seeds sprouted in jiffy pellets on Oct 6ths. I later realized this was my first mistake as I confused jiffy pellets with rapid rooters, etc. I read mixed opinions online as to their compatibility with DWC, ultimately concluding it wasn't optimal but could be done. 48 hours ago I moved the seedlings from their germination dome into 6" net pots with hydroton and into my 5 gal DWC buckets. At the time, roots where beginning to poke out of the jiffy pellets. Res level was about 1" above bottom of net pot when you factor in the aeration.

I noticed, the jiffy pellets seem pretty saturated. I assume, if I am going to have issues, it will be root rot from saturated pellets. At what level should I keep my res? I just reduced the levels to be even with the bottom of the net pot without pump running (about 1/4" above net pot with aeration). I want to ensure I don't over soak the jiffy pellet and also optimize root growth.

How long should I expect before roots grow through the net pot?
Should I go ahead and purchase additives (especially something for the roots?)

250watt (actual wattage) COB led in my 2x4 seedling tent 30" high ( I realize this it is overkill but I have an abundance of these lights)
RO H2O + Advance Nutes PH Perfect Grow, Micro, Bloom (currently mixed at a rate of 2ml of each per gallon)
PH 5.8 / 250PPM
60W active aqua 70LPM (1100 GPH) w/ one 4"x2" air stone per 5 gallon bucket (4 buckets total, hope to start 2 additional)

Thanks in advance.

Have pics it will help me see where your at in terms of ppm and such.

Pump is a bit overkill those stone are good from 8-10lpm each but all good just FYI.

Running live or sterile system?

With those nutrients do not add cal mag or any other nutrient additives. Do not attempt to ph. Any of this will screw those nutes up.

I use jiffy pellets myself never had an issue with them.

Put 2" of hydroton in the bottom of the net pot the place the jiffy pellets on too and fill the rest with hydroton making sure you won't have light leaks into the res.

Your waterline should be 1" below the net pot until the roots hit the water. Airstones directly below the net pot the bubbles breaking the surface will lightly mist the bottom of the air pot.

Be careful with the stems so they don't rot. If you see little white bumps (that's the beggining of new roots) at the base it's to humid at the base of the stem and you need to increase air flow.

Ppm I can tell ya after I see the plants.

Your nutrients are designed to be used with RO and I would suggest using RO because like I said before add nutrients can mess with these nutes.

Never ph these nutes if it get outa whack do a res change.

Can pour 1 cup of res water from the top a day from the res until roots hit the water

Think that's enough for now.

Top Bottom