Advice on grow lights

• Thread starter sapper591
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sapper591

sapper591

This is only for those who use the spiral energy saver light bulbs. I have been to probably every store in my town that sells this type of light and i have found one reacuring problem. None of the packages they come in tell you the K's that they put out. Only watts, lumins, and volts. Does any one maybe have a formula that I can do with the given information on the package to figure it out or can someone just tell me exactly what bulb to use that produces at least 6500K's? Or quite possibly a web site that sells really good ones.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

this might help

here's an article that should help you learn to read the codes
on each bulb and a link to the site where i found you the article,
in case you'd like to do more research.

http://www.lightsearch.com/resources/lightguides/fllampid.html

Fluorescent lamps are identified by a standardized code that reveals valuable information about operating characteristics and physical dimensions. Manufacturers' codes, found on the lamps and in catalogs, may vary slightly from the generic designations. However all major lamp manufacturers base their codes closely on the identification system discussed below.

The best way to learn lamp identification is through example. Below is a range of fluorescent lamps, one for each popular starting method:

Rapid-Start (40 Watts or Less) and Preheat Lamps

Example: F30T12/CW/RS

"F" … fluorescent

"30" … rated nominal wattage

"T" … indicates shape; this lamp is shaped like a tube

"12" … diameter in eighths of an inch; this lamp is 12/8 (1.5) inches in diameter

"CW" … color; this lamp is a cool white lamp

"RS" … mode of starting; the lamp is a rapid-start lamp. Preheat lamps do not have "RS" as a suffix

Rapid-start lamps are the most popular fluorescent lamp type used in commercial applications such as office buildings.

To learn more about what "cool" and "warm" means in terms of the color quality of light sources, see Color Metrics.

Note that some lamps may be designated F40T12/ES, but the lamp draws 34 instead of 40 watts; the "ES," a modifier which stands for "energy-saving," indicates this. ES is a generic designation; actual manufacturer designations may be "SS" for SuperSaver, "EW" for Econ-o-Watt, "WM" for Watt-Miser and others.

After the mode of starting, another number may be added to indicate color rendering and color temperature if the lamp's color (CW, WW, WWX, etc.) is not indicated. The number will often be three digits, the first indicating color rendering (a "7" standing for "75," for example) and then the next two indicating color temperature (a "41" standing for "4100K," for example).

High-Output Rapid-Start Lamps

Example: F48T12/WW/HO

"F" … fluorescent

"48" … nominal length of the lamp in inches

"T" … shape; this lamp is shaped like a tube

"12" … diameter in eighths of an inch; this lamp is 12/8 (1.5) inches in diameter

"WW" … color; this lamp is a warm white lamp

"HO" … high output lamp operating on 800mA current

Very High-Output Rapid-Start Lamps

Example: F72T12/CW/VHO

"F" … fluorescent

"72" … nominal length in inches

"CW" … color; this lamp is a cool white lamp

"VHO" … very high output lamp operating on 1500mA current; instead of VHO, it may read "1500" or "PowerGroove" (brand names)

Instant-Start Lamps

Example: F96T12/WWX

"F" … fluorescent

"96" … nominal length in inches

"WWX" … color; this lamp is a deluxe warm white lamp

Other Fluorescent Lamps

"FC" instead of "F" means the lamp is circular.

"FB" or "FU" instead of "F" means the lamp is bent or U-shaped. The suffix "U" can also be used for U-shaped lamps, followed by a "/" and a number that indicates the distance between the lamp's legs in inches. "FT" instead of "F" is used for twin-tube T5 lamps.

See also: NEMA Designations for Compact Fluorescent Lamps

More Light Guides

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

if you stick with 23 and 26 watt bulbs you get much more
'bang' for your buck as you can often find them in 3 and 4
packs for approx. $6.99. what that means is that for the
same money you can double your wattage with the 3 packs
of the 23watters, if you can find 4 packs of the 26's, that's
more that 200watts for approx. the same money as just 1
of those 65's.

you also gain more flexibility in tweaking your spectra with
multiple points of light, plus, with multiple bulbs you spread
the heat around which makes it easier to deal with.

DSCI0094smll
DSCI0489smll2
DSCI0493PKsmll
DSCI0539smll2
DSCI0561cu
DSCI0651RKSsmll
DSCI0675smll

Great info here!

"None of the packages they come in tell you the K's that they put out. Only watts, lumins, and volts. Does any one maybe have a formula that I can do with the given information on the package to figure it out or can someone just tell me exactly what bulb to use that produces at least 6500K's?"

6500K refers to the correlated color temperature of the lamp, the color light that the lamp produces. Watts, lumens, and voltage all have nothing to do with the color of the light produced, so there is formula to derive one from the other.

Usually, manufacturer's websites have lamp specifications that will help you out with the correlated color temperature of a particular lamp. But be aware, not all 6500K fluorescent lamps are the same, that's where the "correlated" color temperature comes into play.

R

REGISTRD

WTF BOZO thats all off CFL's .... WOW.... dam im impressed

S

scrapiron

To answer your question, look for "cool white". That will get you on the higher end of the Kelvin Scale. Usually above 5000k, and close to the same light as a MH setup. Warm/soft white is the opposite, equivelent to a HPS setup and lower on the Kelvin Scale.

Top Bottom