Aeroponic cloning issues

• Thread starter DirtyDave1990
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

NO DOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So why don’t you use a dome with an aeroponic cloner? First with an aero cloner your cuttings are not absorbing moisture through their leaves. The stem hangs suspended in mid-air and is sprayed constantly by sprayers, that is how moisture is absorbed.

"Why is the dome bad? Check the net, the bigget problem anyone will ever have with an aeroponic cloner is too much heat. If the water temp goes over 85 degrees the stem of the cutting will turn to slim and the cutting is no good. With a pump in the water putting off heat this is something that needs watched. We use the best pumps available so this should not be an issue in our cloners. If you put a dome on the machine it shoots the temperature of the water way too high, No way for the heat to go away it is basically trapped in the dome. Also the high humidity environment is a great place for mold fungus whatever to start growing but the temperature raise is the biggest problem and the fact the dome serves no purpose in this application."

And if im not mistaken thats a cloneking your using, which again NO DOME! :D
If your in 20-40% humidity a dome is a must for clones imo. No different than any plants they do better under certain conditions. 80-100% work best for clones not matter how you root them.

I'm not sure how it would shoot temps up?

I mean I will put a fan lightly blowing over the open vents after they root. Could do that here also.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So why don’t you use a dome with an aeroponic cloner? First with an aero cloner your cuttings are not absorbing moisture through their leaves. The stem hangs suspended in mid-air and is sprayed constantly by sprayers, that is how moisture is absorbed.
It's not only about absorbing moisture it's about preventing moisture loss. The stem does not absorb enough moisture to sustain the amount of moisture loss in low humidity.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
@Aqua Man

This is the creator of the clone kings site and words.

harriganshydroponicsandsupply.com/2012/03/humidity-domes-kill-your-clones/

We have produced clones to make a living for 20 years. I have done countless tests and trials on literally 1000’s of plant cuttings. A Humidity dome should NOT BE USED with an aeroponic cloning machine under any circumstances. Humidity domes can reduce your success rates by 15% – 20% !

If you ever have any questions or concerns please contact us immediately I am sure we can help. We expect you to have 100% success rates and be using our machine in 5 years without spending another penny to clone!

Hello,
No refuting. My first question would be why use a humidity dome? The answer is because of the “old style cloning”. In the old method you take a cutting and place it in a rockwool cube or peat pellet. The cutting has no way to absorb water at this point so you spray it constantly or you place in it a super high humidity environment to absorb moisture through the stomas. This is fine and works alright with limited success but by no means is ideal. When you start using an aeroponic cloner you must leave all of your ideas from the old style of cloning behind, everything you thought you knew is no good here, this is nothing like the old style.
So why don’t you use a dome with an aeroponic cloner? First with an aero cloner your cuttings are not absorbing moisture through their leaves. The stem hangs suspended in mid-air and is sprayed constantly by sprayers, that is how moisture is absorbed. You will be shocked at how much water the cuttings take in with no roots just through the stem. Works great even in a zero humidity environment with no wilting or drying out… ever. Why is the dome bad? Check the net, the bigget problem anyone will ever have with an aeroponic cloner is too much heat. If the water temp goes over 85 degrees the stem of the cutting will turn to slim and the cutting is no good. With a pump in the water putting off heat this is something that needs watched. We use the best pumps available so this should not be an issue in our cloners. If you put a dome on the machine it shoots the temperature of the water way too high, No way for the heat to go away it is basically trapped in the dome. Also the high humidity environment is a great place for mold fungus whatever to start growing but the temperature raise is the biggest problem and the fact the dome serves no purpose in this application. You use no hormones ever just plain tap water and you will get 100% succesful clones EVERY SINGLE TIME! Just for reference search for cloners on amazon, any cloner sold on the amazon site, and there are quite a few, mine is the highest rated by customers not even close better then turvo klone, ez clone, botanicare, better then anyone. Go to ebay I have 6000 customer feedbacks, my product is loved. Been cloning this way for 30 years and it is just the best way to clone and my machine is the best available. Customers say so what else is there?
Hope that helps.
James Harrigan

Last edited:
DirtyDave1990

DirtyDave1990

Try a dome until you see bumps then you can look at removing. You don't need it after that if your humidity is decent. I wouldn't even bother cloning if under 50% not to say it can't be done but why not make conditions with the best chance to succeed. Just because it can be done doesn't make it ideal. The issue with a dome comes if you leave it on to long after showing root and transpiration picks up a bit. Should be opened daily and leaves should be kept from getting wet and touching. I think temps of 75-80f would work best. I do my clones at 80f. I would be using a sterile practices. That means h2o2 or other. Those temps should give the fastest rooting but also fastest reproductive rates for pathogens and bacteria. That's why sterile.

Tbh that was probably the reason they just flopped over after a week and a half of standing. They got an infection something like root rot. I highly doubt it was the temps after almost 2weeks.

Temps are definitely an issue if your not sterile or running beneficials because of this. No different than any hydro grow system. You always see ppl say you need to run 68f or cooler... Well all that does is slow growth of the plant and bacteria or pathogens. I ran my hydro 72-74f with beneficials and never issues.

The important part is preventing infection and giving the best environment we can for the best success rate.

Should be no issue cycling the pump but I would probably do 10-15 on/off cycles. Just my opinion.

The thing about no domes is maybe someone has 70% Rh and maybe someone else has 20%. Personally I don't feel you can blanket say you don't or atleast would not benefit from a dome. I can blanket say a dome will provide adequate humidity to reduce stress on the cuttings. They may root with or without but the fact is they do better in high humidity.

Also just a hunch here that's pure blue light.. change to red if your going only one color.

Grab some h2o2 for sterile or something like hydrogaurd if you wanna go beneficial. Change your light. Try a dome for the first 5-6 days. Keep the cloner in over 50% humidity after that if you can.

Just my opinion
I followed the directions on the clone king and used a weak bleach water solution running through the pump and manifold for 30 mins then ran clean water through it for 30. Sterilized my blade, cup, hands and work surface. Took cuttings and immediately placed in water until I put them in their collars about 20 mins later. If I ended up introducing bacteria it must have been when I was checking ph daily. Also yes it is just blue light, but it has the setting for blue and red so I will switch that to both.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

I've never gotten the hang of any of the newfangled foliar-hydrated cloning methods, my technique is very similar to @MIMedGrower's.

The cuttings go directly into a small container with water and a tiny bit of IBA, then that gets refilled once a day. Once the leaves start getting yellow and there's some visible root formation trying to happen, it goes into dirt. Sterile scissors, container, etc. So far except for user error, it's been 100% successful. But it definitely takes a few weeks.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Look I'm not saying other methods don't work. Like I said in my post just because it can be done doesn't make it ideal. Plants don't change their preference because we put them in a glass or water or an aero cloner. Just like any grow there are many environmental factors to consider.

If you go look in my thread I'm pretty sure it's there. I cut clones and had roots in 5 days in peat pellets. Temperature has alot to do with this and so does water stress. Sure you can root clones many ways but why not try to provide the best environment? I can see if it's easy and works great but if your having issue then we'll not so great.

I mean there is only a million studies out there that show it's beneficial.... NOT NECESSARILY... But beneficial and will improve chances of success and time to root

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Aqua Man

This is the creator of the clone kings site and words.

harriganshydroponicsandsupply.com/2012/03/humidity-domes-kill-your-clones/

We have produced clones to make a living for 20 years. I have done countless tests and trials on literally 1000’s of plant cuttings. A Humidity dome should NOT BE USED with an aeroponic cloning machine under any circumstances. Humidity domes can reduce your success rates by 15% – 20% !

If you ever have any questions or concerns please contact us immediately I am sure we can help. We expect you to have 100% success rates and be using our machine in 5 years without spending another penny to clone!

Hello,
No refuting. My first question would be why use a humidity dome? The answer is because of the “old style cloning”. In the old method you take a cutting and place it in a rockwool cube or peat pellet. The cutting has no way to absorb water at this point so you spray it constantly or you place in it a super high humidity environment to absorb moisture through the stomas. This is fine and works alright with limited success but by no means is ideal. When you start using an aeroponic cloner you must leave all of your ideas from the old style of cloning behind, everything you thought you knew is no good here, this is nothing like the old style.
So why don’t you use a dome with an aeroponic cloner? First with an aero cloner your cuttings are not absorbing moisture through their leaves. The stem hangs suspended in mid-air and is sprayed constantly by sprayers, that is how moisture is absorbed. You will be shocked at how much water the cuttings take in with no roots just through the stem. Works great even in a zero humidity environment with no wilting or drying out… ever. Why is the dome bad? Check the net, the bigget problem anyone will ever have with an aeroponic cloner is too much heat. If the water temp goes over 85 degrees the stem of the cutting will turn to slim and the cutting is no good. With a pump in the water putting off heat this is something that needs watched. We use the best pumps available so this should not be an issue in our cloners. If you put a dome on the machine it shoots the temperature of the water way too high, No way for the heat to go away it is basically trapped in the dome. Also the high humidity environment is a great place for mold fungus whatever to start growing but the temperature raise is the biggest problem and the fact the dome serves no purpose in this application. You use no hormones ever just plain tap water and you will get 100% succesful clones EVERY SINGLE TIME! Just for reference search for cloners on amazon, any cloner sold on the amazon site, and there are quite a few, mine is the highest rated by customers not even close better then turvo klone, ez clone, botanicare, better then anyone. Go to ebay I have 6000 customer feedbacks, my product is loved. Been cloning this way for 30 years and it is just the best way to clone and my machine is the best available. Customers say so what else is there?
Hope that helps.
James Harrigan
This guy is for lack of a better term. A complete scamming idiot.

There are so many red flags in that article I don't know where to start.

Typical Amazon. Just take a look at the light sellers there. Same BS

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
This guy is for lack of a better term. A complete scamming idiot.

There are so many red flags in that article I don't know where to start.

Typical Amazon. Just take a look at the light sellers there. Same BS

And if you legit look at the reviews his product does stand above all the rest .. Hes not scamming anyone he offers almost 24/7 support if you can't get a clone to root he'll help. Or his team or whatever..

Not fair aqua..

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

And if you legit look at the reviews his product does stand above all the rest .. Hes not scamming anyone he offers almost 24/7 support if you can't get a clone to root he'll help. Or his team or whatever..

Not fair aqua..
Product works.. claims made are bullshit. 0 humidity!!! Bro you try to grow plants in 0 humidity? Nevermind without roots

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Like I said if it works great. Typical cloner will show roots within 4 days. I have dam near 100% in usually under 7 days and as long as 10 days in peat. Just like any plant environment is important that doesn't change. What im should have said is he is intentionally misleading people to sell a product.

Will that product work... Absolutely so does a glass of water at 65f in a window. Is it the most optimal... No... It will take a definately longer. Does that make it wrong no.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Product works.. claims made are bullshit. 0 humidity!!! Bro you try to grow plants in 0 humidity? Nevermind without roots

Theres humidity around you.. lol its not 0% I've seen another cloner not this one but nearly the same my brother used in his pole barn didn't have 100% success cuz he never paid much attention to temps but no dome.. and middle of winter so dry.. still worked.

54% humidity in my room atm.. no need for a dome.

Far cry from 0%..

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Like I said if it works great. Typical cloner will show roots within 4 days. I have dam near 100% in usually 7 days and as long as 10 days. Just like any plant environment is important that does change. What im should have said is he is intentionally misleading people to sell a product.

Will that product work... Absolutely so does a glass of water in 65f in a window. Is it the most optimal... No

How is he intentionally misleading people? Claiming 100% succsess rate? It can be 100% if you don't use a dome :P

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
All im saying is don't put a dome on the clone king.. use one don't use one idgaf one way or the other.. clone in toilet water if thats what you wanna do.. But don't put a dome on the clone king and expect things to work..

That's all im saying.. Root in water with a dome.. go for it! Run with it!

But just don't put a dome on the clone king. :D

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Theres humidity around you.. lol its not 0% I've seen another cloner not this one but nearly the same my brother used in his pole barn didn't have 100% success cuz he never paid much attention to temps but no dome.. and middle of winter so dry.. still worked.

54% humidity in my room atm.. no need for a dome.

Far cry from 0%..
He claims you can do it in 0 humidity. It wasn't me saying that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom