Aggresive Dog

• Thread starter 3 balls
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
3 balls

3 balls

@1diesel1 , I thought of you and a handful of other dog lovers on here, weird place to seek pet advice I know.

Before I got Sirus, my 2 year old Lab Rottweiler mix, I had always owned dogs for security reasons but never really got too attached. But for whatever reason my wife and I absolutely love this guy! We took him to puppy classes and the advanced classes.

He has shown concerning aggression towards strangers before but that was easy enough to avoid and control/ work on. On one occasion my wife got him a bone that must have been real pig or cow or something and he went nuts when we took it away so we avoided those. I got him at 8 weeks old and he has never been abused or received so much as a smack on the nose.

Tonight my 22 year old son who Sirus loves and is comfortable with approached him while he was playing with one of his regular bones of which he has dozens and Sirus bit him. No stiches required but close.

I have been and will continue to google on it but I feel like the responsible thing is going to be putting him down. This is tearing me up bad so please no smart asses but has anybody on the farm had to deal with something like this?

S

SnowshoeJoe

That's certainly concerning Behavior. I have a Labrador Retriever and have never seen her be aggressive in any way. The Rottweiler is a different breed and may be prone to be more aggressive. I don't have any answers but I I'm glad you're asking and wish you well.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

@1diesel1 , I thought of you and a handful of other dog lovers on here, weird place to seek pet advice I know.

Before I got Sirus, my 2 year old Lab Rottweiler mix, I had always owned dogs for security reasons but never really got too attached. But for whatever reason my wife and I absolutely love this guy! We took him to puppy classes and the advanced classes.

He has shown concerning aggression towards strangers before but that was easy enough to avoid and control/ work on. On one occasion my wife got him a bone that must have been real pig or cow or something and he went nuts when we took it away so we avoided those. I got him at 8 weeks old and he has never been abused or received so much as a smack on the nose.

Tonight my 22 year old son who Sirus loves and is comfortable with approached him while he was playing with one of his regular bones of which he has dozens and Sirus bit him. No stiches required but close.

I have been and will continue to google on it but I feel like the responsible thing is going to be putting him down. This is tearing me up bad so please no smart asses but has anybody on the farm had to deal with something like this?
Long time dog owner here. A young dog that has aggression issues towards his family is a serious problem. It could be behavioral, where you and your family are not maintaining a proper dominant role. If you are confident you are doing that, then he has a mental problem and is dangerous.

If you have owned dogs before without these problems, I'm pessimistic. Sorry.

3 balls

3 balls

Long time dog owner here. A young dog that has aggression issues towards his family is a serious problem. It could be behavioral, where you and your family are not maintaining a proper dominant role. If you are confident you are doing that, then he has a mental problem and is dangerous.

If you have owned dogs before without these problems, I'm pessimistic. Sorry.
Thanks for the input. My son is home from college and doesn't see him regularly so while it's not even close to being appropriate behavior it's not somebody he interacts with daily. We haven't had this problem with any previous dogs. I completely get what you're saying, my first instinct is mental problem/bad apple, but at the same time I'm reading about aggressive traits being a genetic predisposition in some breeds. So while we maintained a sufficient dominant role with our other dogs this dude needs additional conditioning. It's just a mess. I keep going back and forth between I need to take care of this before he really hurts someone and, I wouldn't have one of my kids put down without trying to get them help.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Thanks for the input. My son is home from college and doesn't see him regularly so while it's not even close to being appropriate behavior it's not somebody he interacts with daily. We haven't had this problem with any previous dogs. I completely get what you're saying, my first instinct is mental problem/bad apple, but at the same time I'm reading about aggressive traits being a genetic predisposition in some breeds. So while we maintained a sufficient dominant role with our other dogs this dude needs additional conditioning. It's just a mess. I keep going back and forth between I need to take care of this before he really hurts someone and, I wouldn't have one of my kids put down without trying to get them help.
If you're going that way, then my two cents is, the next time he displays that aggression, you have to confront him and completely dominate him. I'd get prepared with gloves and heavy clothing, give him one of those bones, and take it away from him. He'll get aggressive. You'll have to take him down to the ground and make him submit. Repeat until he gives the bone up willingly. If that can't be made to happen, well, Again, I'm sorry.

3 balls

3 balls

If you're going that way, then my two cents is, the next time he displays that aggression, you have to confront him and completely dominate him. I'd get prepared with gloves and heavy clothing, give him one of those bones, and take it away from him. He'll get aggressive. You'll have to take him down to the ground and make him submit. Repeat until he gives the bone up willingly. If that can't be made to happen, well, Again, I'm sorry.
I hear ya. I must be getting soft in my old age, a younger me, (or if my son was still little), would have taken him out back without thinking twice. Your method makes a lot of sense to me, these days it's all about rewarding them with treats and trading one thing for another.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I hear ya. I must be getting soft in my old age, a younger me, (or if my son was still little), would have taken him out back without thinking twice. Your method makes a lot of sense to me, these days it's all about rewarding them with treats and trading one thing for another.
This about your dog thinking he's boss. He -cannot- think that. Treats reinforce his behavior. The dominant dog doesn't trade. He's gets everything he wants, when he wants it. That has to be you.

This is really pathological behavior in a lab mix. Even with the rott mixed in. I wish you the best.

H

Highkev

I agree be dominant, but also use the reward method too. Incorporate both he’s being “food aggressive” if he’s protecting his pig ear you need to confront this ASAP too. Get the gloves thick clothes do your stretching and get the pig bone out and have at it. If all attempts fail, don’t put him down, maybe there’s an owner out there who would be a better match. Maybe they don't have kids that may get bit or anything like that to worry about. I had an aggressive dog who bit me, my wife, my older daughter, my friends the mail man lol. When our young daughter was born we couldn’t trust him to be around the baby. So he was constantly locked up which was no way for him to live and also made the aggression worse. Long story short my cuz had a friend who’s dog just passed away so he took in our aggressive dog. Fast forward a few years later he still bites the owner every now and then but there’s no one else around that he has to worry about the dog biting like kids. So the new owner got a new dog to love. The dog is happier now that he doesn’t have to be locked up all the time. And me and my wife are happy we didn’t have to put the dog down or lock him away for most of his life. Good luck.

Seraphine

Seraphine

I agree. I am not a dog owner but my parents have their dogs trained like soldiers. You need to be the alpha. When the dog tries to be agressive, it’s a sign he does not have a pack leader and the dog is trying to be the alpha.

But if the behavior continues then I think you know what you have to do.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Just to be certain, I would take the pup to your vet for a checkup. It could be something that is hurting/annoying him. I would also muzzle him and warn the vet before taking him in. The bone thing is defanately a problem though. My 1 yr old is a Border Collie/Choc. Lab mix..not a mean bone in her body and she is not even socialized, except for my GF and 2 older dogs. I was concerned last month since I had her spayed and she had not been outside my property since she was 4 months old ...She never tried anything even though not happy (lots of grunting, but never even a growl).

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
You need to put the fear of god in that dog lickty split. If you can’t then all is lost. If you can’t take that bone away from the dog without being bit he shouldn’t be around anyone. Has he been fixed?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

every animal that has teeth will bite,nature folks,im with buzzer ,might be pain issue,reguardless of that or not cant have them biting,it already been said dominance is the key,putting on gloves and shit aoint gonna help at all,just teach them that glove wearing folk are prey,dig what im saying,my female pity bull bite me one morning,both my bulldogs have there own bed and sleep right next to me,i woke up reached over to give um both a scrub on the head and when i touched her hip she nipped me and then realized what she had done and ran and hide from me,when i finally got her out she was limping real bad,so i still disaplined her not aggressive like,but she got the point,back to issue at hand only way to stop this or train on demand is full out fight his ass,lay right on top his ass,make him submit,then give um a day,go and take the bone right from his mouth,if he snares or growls,take the bone right in front of him while he looking at it and beat the living shit out of the bone,let him see your rage ,then talk baby too him when he comes back out,you will see a difrence,i do same shit with there favorite toy,shoes,puppies love um,while he chewing on his new friend,take it while you baby talk to the dog and say bad shoe and start whaling on the thing,that is animal talking imo,in nature survival of fitest is key to life and dominace rules,if your really are that concerned and unwilling to stop it,dont kill the fella find um a home,old couple are perfect choice,then they know they have to protect if you dig,if he really aggressive look around for junk yards ,bad good or great every thing and body deserve a chance at life animals included,hahaah i got a damn 8 point buck out here that nipps mamas fingers but not mine when we hand feed um,shit head be liking human women folk i tell her,this is perfect example for you,full swing rut,bucks fighting there ass off ,wounded deer every were,i walk out there with my bucket of corn all come to a halt,as crazy as they get being horny they will stop all activity with eyes on me,they know i will walk there ass down for a mile if they piss me off,just saying dominace is the key

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
every animal that has teeth will bite,nature folks,im with buzzer ,might be pain issue,reguardless of that or not cant have them biting,it already been said dominance is the key,putting on gloves and shit aoint gonna help at all,just teach them that glove wearing folk are prey,dig what im saying,my female pity bull bite me one morning,both my bulldogs have there own bed and sleep right next to me,i woke up reached over to give um both a scrub on the head and when i touched her hip she nipped me and then realized what she had done and ran and hide from me,when i finally got her out she was limping real bad,so i still disaplined her not aggressive like,but she got the point,back to issue at hand only way to stop this or train on demand is full out fight his ass,lay right on top his ass,make him submit,then give um a day,go and take the bone right from his mouth,if he snares or growls,take the bone right in front of him while he looking at it and beat the living shit out of the bone,let him see your rage ,then talk baby too him when he comes back out,you will see a difrence,i do same shit with there favorite toy,shoes,puppies love um,while he chewing on his new friend,take it while you baby talk to the dog and say bad shoe and start whaling on the thing,that is animal talking imo,in nature survival of fitest is key to life and dominace rules,if your really are that concerned and unwilling to stop it,dont kill the fella find um a home,old couple are perfect choice,then they know they have to protect if you dig,if he really aggressive look around for junk yards ,bad good or great every thing and body deserve a chance at life animals included,hahaah i got a damn 8 point buck out here that nipps mamas fingers but not mine when we hand feed um,shit head be liking human women folk i tell her,this is perfect example for you,full swing rut,bucks fighting there ass off ,wounded deer every were,i walk out there with my bucket of corn all come to a halt,as crazy as they get being horny they will stop all activity with eyes on me,they know i will walk there ass down for a mile if they piss me off,just saying dominace is the key
I like it! And make sure you bite em to:)

Phylex

Phylex

There's a lot of correct advice that's been given here already in different forms. Diesel asked a great question, "Is he neutered?" If he isn't, you should strongly consider it. It won't correct his current aggression, but there's a good chance it will stop it from progressing. The current aggression he's displaying needs to be dealt with, with consistent training.

I have an American Bulldog that was/is aggressive toward other dogs and strangers. Albeit he's never shown any aggression toward his pack. We took him to a specialized trainer. One of the first things we were given in the training is "The Boss E-Collar." I would highly recommend it for training. I provide the link so you can see what I'm talking about. I would also strongly suggest finding a local trainer that deals with aggressive dogs and signing up for additional training that deals with his aggression. I would also encourage you as a last resort to try to re-home him before putting him down. There's more experienced people out there that could work with him and love to have him.

The last thing I would like to add is my dog now couldn't care less about other dogs or strangers when we're out just as long as they don't approach him. I will put him in a sit or down if I'm talking to a stranger and he's fine. If he growls even a little under his breath, it's an immediate correction. But I don't allow any stranger to pet him or other dogs to greet him. That contact is when he gets uncomfortable. Some dogs will just not be "happy dog park" dogs, or accepting of stranger contact. But he should absolutely respect you and who you accept near the pack since you're the pack leader. And he should absolutely, without a doubt, never challenge a pack member. My dog now listens to my every command and recalls like I'm the most important thing to him, but I still always have him leashed when we're out. He's never going to be an off leash dog (in public) unless there's no one around. If anyone appears, I recall him, and leash him immediately.

I'm not sure how you express your love for your dog, but he should know he's the lowest member in the pack. That means they're not allowed on furniture, beds, couches, etc. They also always eat last. A professional trainer can help you with all of these issues your having and train you on how to deal with them. The most important thing with training is consistency.

https://www.allk-9.com/educator-rem...MI0LeTu6vw4AIV7x6tBh1u6wEMEAQYAiABEgJN0fD_BwE

Papasomni

Papasomni

Sorry you're having this problem with your doggie,.... I had a little terrier mix for about ten years and she suddenly started aggressive behavior and attacked my little min pin.. I grabbed her by the neck and picked her up and she still had the little guy in her mouth. I got him away from her but she turned and bit me. My old dad always told me that if your dog ever tastes your blood, you'll never be able to trust it again. I put her harness on her and got my pistol and put her in my truck and took her out and shot her.... it was a pretty hard thing to do but I couldn't see any other solution. I loved her ... she was with us ten years. But dogs can have mental problems just like people. I hope you find a solution to your problem but my advice to you is don't trust that this dog won't bite again. Keep a special eye on it around food and other people. Look for strange behavior. You may be able to tell that there is something different about the behavior. Good luck.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I like it! And make sure you bite em to:)
ive had nothing but bulldogs,most loyal dog you can ever have,my inlaw went to the pen and i got stuck with his german shepard,that the only one i ever had i had to fight,knuckle went all the way back on the fist,that all it took was a take down and knuckle samich,lol you have to show dominance period,once they figure it out most times you never have anymore problems,shit look at us when we were buck wild,throw down in a heart beat for a chic in a bar,right,we all are savages the mind is the control,the beast leave when that damn girl took you serious and you got married,then comes the fat belly and bald head,dig hahahahh

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
ive had nothing but bulldogs,most loyal dog you can ever have,my inlaw went to the pen and i got stuck with his german shepard,that the only one i ever had i had to fight,knuckle went all the way back on the fist,that all it took was a take down and knuckle samich,lol you have to show dominance period,once they figure it out most times you never have anymore problems,shit look at us when we were buck wild,throw down in a heart beat for a chic in a bar,right,we all are savages the mind is the control,the beast leave when that damn girl took you serious and you got married,then comes the fat belly and bald head,dig hahahahh
Lol, feeling that thought fer sure!!
7DA91885 39DC 4AB8 B1BF A7C8C82207E8

P

Phototropin

Get a training collar and let him take some juice. Be careful though some dogs can't handle electricity so start lowish. I am a dog trainer as a day job, and I have delt with some aggressive dogs not many so I'm probably not the best source for this. But that's my best recommendation. Other than that dogs that are aggressive (and not suppose to be like a guard dog) are generally considered culls .

Latest posts

Top Bottom