Agh, cheap fan controller buzzs - how LOUD is your fans in your grow tent?

• Thread starter Kampbe1l
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

didn't research, before these purchases. should have bought another different/dearer brand/model, but the plan was to make do for the time being, before purchasing maybe later. now, i am looking at its dB specification.

running a 150 mm exhaust fan on its lowest speed setting, and it's making a racket. we can hear it from our bedroom, and it's setup in the room next to us.

so, thought i'd get this cheap controller to reduce its fan speed, to reduce its operational noise. however, the fan controller itself creates a buzz which defeated the purpose. while reducing the fan speed reduces the exhaust fan's noise, this reduction is overtaken by a buzz.

googled to see this fan controller does buzz for some owners, almost a feature and nature of this product.

so, solution is either to purchase a quieter 150 mm fan or more expensive fan controller???

How LOUD are your fans?

okay, last year i was running an ASIC miner and that was much louder than this exhaust fan, i dreamt of living at an airport - so, rest of household are mostly tolerant to my hobbies.

az2000

az2000

The inexpensive dimmer-switch speed controllers can be very noisey. I think all they do is chop an ever larger portion of the AC wave. As you turn down the speed, it buzzes more because it's like 60 off/on pulses per second (the more you turn it down, the more the wave is chopped off, making the "off" period longer.). IMO, the companies that sell these things without saying *anything* about that are crooked.

I use 3amp variacs. Search Amazon for B006NGI8VS. The one I bought cost almost $80 USD (today). There is a less-expensive 3amp for $50. Search Amazon for B078Z7XYT2. (I don't know if that one's built as well. It wasn't available when I bought mine. It looks cheaper somehow.). I believe they make a 1.5amp, and 1.8amp. One or both of those might be suitable for the fan.

A variac reduces the voltage to the fan. I can turn my fan Hydrofarm ActiveAir green inline fan (the old, common, original style of fan) down to a very low movement of air, and it's completely silent. (I really feel like those companies selling the cheap dimmer-like controllers are crooked for not even mentioning the noise. I've seen a couple people say those speed controllers might reduce the life of a fan. I don't know much about electricity, motors, etc. I can't say if that's true.).

Last edited:
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

yup, that dimmer-switch where this buzz is its feature. my fault for not doing my research, as with issues, it is commonly reported online, so me bad.

i ended up putting the exhaust fan on top of the roof of the grow tent, with its ducting running thru the top vent (roof) of the tent, to inside the tent - because this 150 mm exhaust fan took up valuable space within the grow tent - though its currently not in use.

the sides are sucked in, when running this fan on its lower speed setting - and i can turn the fan with this fan controller down quite a bit, but the buzz takes over. so, i might as well leave it running at 90% capacity - which is generating about the same noise level as it is running fan at its naked lowest speed. what's the point of this fan controller, agh!? might put this cruddy fan controller back in its box, and either flea-bay or garage it.

i suppose placing the fan inside the tent would reduce its noise level significantly, but i can't see it been done, here. space will be a premium, when plants are larger in this space/tent. while this fan would fit, later when the plants are larger/taller - the light fixtures need to be raised - and this is where the light fixture and the fan wouldn't fit next to each other, at the top of the tent. so, again, i reject that idea of hanging the fan inside the tent - unless it's a small fan, then it sacrifices its capacity.

okay, let me look into these things, including that 3amp variacs ....back here later.

Last edited:
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

guess what happened - just after i last posted.......returning the fan under warranty...

anyone runs Phresh 150 mm exhaust fans? or Can Max Pro? let's look at those variacs....

BigCube

BigCube

My fan is pretty quiet. I can't hear the motor or the humming of 60hz. But I can hear the air flow, and it's not that quiet.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

My fan is pretty quiet. I can't hear the motor or the humming of 60hz. But I can hear the air flow, and it's not that quiet.

what's that brand/model/size - setup inside the tent?

thoughts of going 100 mm fan, but keep going back to 150 mm as its more standard size - and also, would be used in any upgrades.

trials & errors, huh, a little painful with this exhaust fan, persisting. careful on research - looking at either this Can Max Pro or Phresh, as others don't seem to make the cut. another week or fortnight before purchase, so still picking your brains.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

You can buy a 40inc lasco box fan for $14.99, they are quiet on setting 1, i have a 12 inc occisalateing fan for inside my tent for training other fans are intake and outflow, i don't know if my neghbors hear my rig light up at 5am but they never said boo to me, i just started sweet gelato its very young but is starting to realy smell with undertones of skunk, the 1 smell i try at all costs to avoid and if there this bad this early there gonna know, the 1 thing i dont have is a filter or scrubber so i run the 14inc box fan just for airflow in the room never mind my tent, but the 1 i do have works great 3 speed, up down, back and forth just a nice light breez on your plants this is a must to prevent mold plants sweat under lights so you want a breeze on them at all times while your lights are on. If you want when i get home i can tell u the exact model, for large grows you most definitely need a big oscillateing fan especially if your plants are packed tight, my intake and outflow fans came with the tent.

BigCube

BigCube

what's that brand/model/size - setup inside the tent?

thoughts of going 100 mm fan, but keep going back to 150 mm as its more standard size - and also, would be used in any upgrades.

trials & errors, huh, a little painful with this exhaust fan, persisting. careful on research - looking at either this Can Max Pro or Phresh, as others don't seem to make the cut. another week or fortnight before purchase, so still picking your brains.

It is a 4 inch (100mm I guess) vivosun. In a 3x3x6 vivosun tent, with a filter. Both fan and filter are inside the tent, exhaust out a window.

The fan is about perfect for my 3x3. It has speed control but I leave it cranked since it's not any louder if I do.
It pulls the sides of my tent in giving me a good negative pressure.

All in my spare room, so i dont even hear it once the door is closed.

I can't see myself going for a 6 inch, but you never know what the future may bring.

visajoe1

visajoe1

Yep, variac is the only way to go. This is what I scooped up a couple years ago

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

It is a 4 inch (100mm I guess) vivosun. In a 3x3x6 vivosun tent, with a filter. Both fan and filter are inside the tent, exhaust out a window.

The fan is about perfect for my 3x3. It has speed control but I leave it cranked since it's not any louder if I do.
It pulls the sides of my tent in giving me a good negative pressure.

All in my spare room, so i dont even hear it once the door is closed.

I can't see myself going for a 6 inch, but you never know what the future may bring.

i just borrowed a Vivosun 150 mm with its speed controller, until I get mine back from warranty replacement - and I think its louder than the one i was bitching about. It's highest setting is screaming jets.

okay, a quick setup as its temporary - until i get my replacement - but its loud with the door shut, fan is on top of the grow tent roof. so much for clandestine.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

okay, something like this.....$110 AUD.

$110 AUD instead of $230 AUD for Can Max Pro or more for Phresh 150 mm fans....so it does make sense. gotta sort out the warranty replacement first.

BigCube

BigCube

View attachment 893504

$110 AUD instead of $230 AUD for Can Max Pro or more for Phresh 150 mm fans....so it does make sense. gotta sort out the warranty replacement first.View attachment 893504

That's a very nice bit of kit there. But total overkill for a fan controller.
Just go buy an after market fan controller.

VIVOSUN Speed Controller for Inline Duct Fan

But yeah, I would love a good variac aka variable transformer. For my electronics hobby.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

That's a very nice bit of kit there. But total overkill for a fan controller.
Just go buy an after market fan controller.

VIVOSUN Speed Controller for Inline Duct Fan

But yeah, I would love a good variac aka variable transformer. For my electronics hobby.

but that is after-market fan controller $30 blew my $ 150 fan.....you were fortunate, that it works for you.

after my experience, I am now wary....just didn't get it right on the first go....not going to be happy if i don't get it right on the second go.

Last edited:
az2000

az2000

$110 AUD instead of $230 AUD for Can Max Pro or more for Phresh 150 mm fans....so it does make sense. gotta sort out the warranty replacement first.

That looks like a 20amp variac. You only need a 3amp, which should be less expensive than 20amp.

If quiet is your motivator, you will not be disappointed. You will not hear any buzz at all. You'll hear the "whoosh" sound of air flowing (depending on how fast you let the fan run). But, if you dial it down to minimal flow, you won't hear anything.

There are different types of motors. The fancy fans with integrated controllers may be quiet. Their proprietary controller may be specific to the fan's type of motor. But, for the generic type of fan (Hydrofarm Active Air, green), that variac will work wonderfully. And, whenever the fan dies, you just replace it (without a bundled controller). The variac is like one giant variable resister. It shouldn't need a extended warranty (as long as you don't overload it with something that uses more amps).

I have the model visajoe posted a photo of. It's a little more expensive than the 3amp model of what you posted. I'm sure their both made in China. Probably equally good. But, my initial impression when I saw this newer variac (like what you posted) is that it's not as well built. It looks cheap in some way. I don't know why. Maybe the way the knob stands so tall over the face. It might be nothing. But, if I had to buy another, I'd probably go with the one that's been sold for a few years longer. Maybe I'm just superstitious.

BigCube

BigCube

but that is after-market fan controller $30 blew my $ 150 fan.....you were fortunate, that it works for you.

after my experience, I am now wary....just didn't get it right on the first go....not going to be happy if i don't get it right on the second go.

My fan came with a built in controller. It's also vivosun. Been on 24/7 for like 5 or 6 months now. I dont hear the fan at all, only air moving.

Sounds like you just got a lemon. Hard to see how a controller could possibly kill your fan. Since the controller can only slow a fan down, not speed it up when compared to a straight plug in.

But it may be possible to slow the fan down enough that you burnt the brushes out or overheated the coil.

If you have to turn your fan down, maybe you got the wrong fan? My fan stays on max the entire time. There is no situation where turning my fan speed down would be advantageous. I chose the right fan.

az2000

az2000

I have one of those Active Air speed controllers. It makes my Active Air (green) fan buzz (louder the more I turn it down). If anyone wants it, I'd happily mail it to them free of charge. (I actually have two. The other's a different brand. I bought it hoping it would be different. It wasn't.).

A few years ago I read a forum post by someone who works in electronics. They described it as chopping the sine wave (increasingly, as you turn it down). That creates mini on/off pulses (60 per second). The more it's turned down, the more "start up" strain with each momentary "on." That person said it's hard on the motor, leading to shorter life.

I spent some time looking into this topic. There are 4-5 types of motor design. At least one of them will work with that kind of dimmer-like power reduction. The fans which come with an integrated controller may be that type of motor.

But, the typical, old-school fan like Active Air (green paint) are widely known to buzz with that controller. It was a common forum topic a few years ago. Maybe more people are buying the newer fans today. There weren't many of those a few years ago. The Hyperfan was the first one I saw. I've never used any of those. I assume they don't buzz.

Last edited:
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
That's way overkill for a fan controller. The reason your fan is loud is the type of motor they use in the fan. Cheap ass fans use cheap ass motors. Why it buzzes when you cut the power to them. I've used vortex fans for years and they have zero issues even using the cheap ass 11 dollar fan controllers on them. everything from 6in to 12 in. Don't skimp on fans. Some of my vortex's have been running for 5 to 6 years 24/7 with zero issues. Save 100 bucks on a fan to buy a 120 dollar fan controller so it doesnt buzz?

Also to add if your fan starts buzzing when you put it on a controller you are basically killing the life of your fan and that fan will never work right lowering the power.

Active Air and all those cheap fans are shit. They work but they go out and def aren't the cfm they are rated for and are noisey.. Stick with people like Can, Eclipse and Vortex. Tried and true workhorses for a reason.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom