Air Layering. Cloning w/out f'ing up your numbers!!!!

• Thread starter QleanerQuest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
QleanerQuest

QleanerQuest

Back in Horticulture, I learned about a technique called layering. "Air Layering" in particular caught my eye. As alot of you know, here in Michigan, MMP's are permitted to posses 12 plants per patient. Kinda sucks having to split your garden into 3 sections dividing your numbers down to 4 cloning, 4 vegging and 4 flowering. This technique has been used for years by ornimental farmer's and preservationists to maintain rare and exotic species and cultivars.
I was just thinking how I could increase my yields even more, there's NEVER too much (Lol!), and cut down alittle on the electric bill. Air layering pops up. I can shut the clone unit down, Light and all. Got 2 more plants in veg and 2 more flowering. You get the pic.
I have done this on cannabis about 5 or 6 years ago. Same as usual. Some strains and pheno's root faster than others.
You can actually root whole braches with mature"woody tissue" with this technique. I took a carrot peeler and peeled down to the cambium layer,a light coat of Clonex gel. Wrap a moist handful of spagnum moss around the prepared area(waterd with ph adjusted water, 6.3) and i wrap a small piece of Saran wrap around that. I take a sewing needle and poke a few holes around it for oxygen. Not too many though or youll be injecting water into it.
In 7 to 10 youll see roots. Thats being forgiving too. Some strains root FAST!!! DP's Blueberry was git' n' er' in 3 days!!! Here's a couple diagrams to helpout with things. Hope this helps guys!!!

Great,it wont let me upload the damn pics. But here's a couplelinks to a diagram and a pic of prepping the stem.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...r=slv8-tyc8&fr2=sg-gac&pqstr=Arenac county fr

Pic 2

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...r=slv8-tyc8&fr2=sg-gac&pqstr=Arenac county fr

G

gooey

Interesting but i dont get how i can have more plants, maybe more varietys on the same plant like grafting? otherwise isnt it just a method to root tough to root plants? sorry if i missing something, peace n puffs

QleanerQuest

QleanerQuest

Sorry,Ill clarify. When you harvest your girls in flowering, You'll cut these already rooted plants that are still stuck to mom(that doesnt interfer with your plant count),and begin their veg cycle.Avoiding having to have a seperate uniit,lights and possibly area.Win,win all the way around!! More to harvest. Lower on electric.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
those links went to yahoo search pages - not pix

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
This could be done with known females in veg correct?

QleanerQuest

QleanerQuest

those links went to yahoo search pages - not pix

Sorry bro. I was trying to find good examples to show everyone. My laptop charger snapped, I'm on my phone now! Lol! But I WIILL update tomorrow when I can download them to my son's and upload them to the farm. I do apologize for the inconvenience guys.
Derekb

QleanerQuest

QleanerQuest

This could be done with known females in veg correct?

Yeah I've only done it to females. From reg seeds and not S1's. That's a good question. It may stress unstable genetics to hermie. Poorly made S1's.

aleYarok

aleYarok

wait... you are rooting the branch while is still on the mother??
and then cut off rooted branch and stick in soil?

QleanerQuest

QleanerQuest

Yes sir, in short that's what's achieved when performed correctly. The diagram I was planning omn posting won't download for some reason. But I will be doing some air layerung tomorrow on my Gorilla Grape x Grape Ape cross. Ill take good pics, step by step to show the process. And will continue to update until I remove the new plant from the mother. Its a great technique that some strains and their pheno's take to this technique better than other, just like cloning.

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4oMjYLctVs[/YOUTUBE]

The problem with your plan is those clones are going to be full on flowering, then have to reveg, if you take them off the plant when its finishing up.. you might as well just reveg the whats left of the plant after trimming.

Sorry,Ill clarify. When you harvest your girls in flowering, You'll cut these already rooted plants that are still stuck to mom(that doesnt interfer with your plant count),and begin their veg cycle.Avoiding having to have a seperate uniit,lights and possibly area.Win,win all the way around!! More to harvest. Lower on electric.

QleanerQuest

QleanerQuest

Nice find with the video bro. My scenario wasn't for plants in flowering. Keep mothers as u would for cloning in veg. However, keeping the youngsters on the plant, keeps your plant numbers down if its a concern.
Here in Michigan, a patient can have 12 plants. Instead of 3 mothers, 3 clones rooting, 3
plants vegging aand 3 plants flowering, you can add 1 more vegging and 1 more to flowering. No matter how your setup really. It just helps conserve those "magic numbers" we are restricted to here. Nice video. Explains a lot. Thanks for stoppin in and sharing that!

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

just so you know.. there are dozens of vids on air layering on youtube:)

I applied for a med card in my state(hope I get approved). So I have been playing around with different ideas for my rotation.

Have you thought about just ditching the mother plants, going 6 in flower. 6 in veg.
when the flower plants finish up, throw the veg plants in the flower room and take cuttings?

or you could do 5 and 5 then 2 mulitgrafted mother plants:)

Good info sharing no doubt:) i tried to rep you but i havn't spread the love enough:banana1sv6:

QleanerQuest

QleanerQuest

Oh yeah Ive checked out many a video!! Good luck with yoiur certification man! Its the best feeling in the world knowing your actually legal to do this shit now!!!!
Few years back I didnt keep mother plants and just took cuts from pre-flowered plants. Genetic drift became an issue and I eventually lost my favorite strains. Some strains maybe able to maintain its genetic integrity better than the others. It was really sad.Now, all of my mother plants are the originals from seed. Rootball upkeep is very important. Trimming and pruning. Repotting with fresh soil. They can be maintained in very healthy condition for years if persistant.
Grafting is another project Ill begin once I get all of my things settled here. Im still establishing my keepers and stuff. Great techniques!! Both of them! What if they were BOTh used!!! Hmmm.........

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

there is always soooo much to learn:joint: I wasn't sure if you knew about the videos, air layering is not anywhere as talked about as cloning in rockwool, aero cloners and such. I was suprised that youtube had so many videos on the subject.

you know what I really want to try is tissue culture :) ) I read garden of dreams tissue culture thread.. geez mang talk about inspiring.

I have read a few places that tissue culture helps restore lost traits as well.. Im going to be starting fresh myself from seed.. hope I get some keepers as well.

can't wait to see your pictures of the process.

that def would be a cool site 10 different strains on a single mother plant, with 10 air layered clones ready to go :joint:

QleanerQuest

QleanerQuest

I know it!!! The possibiities are endless with this gift! Eventually Im going to try to put a 10 strain, grafted mommma loaded with air layered babies all over her one day. I gotta work on grafting though. I havent had personal hands on with it yet. Did a chapter on it in school though. Have a great understanding of the process< I think! So hopefully it works! Lol. Ive been meaning to get down to the grow shop for some supplies I need, but its been a crazy week.
I just chopped my Magic Merlin girls(2 phenos) and a Twisted Purple Og tester. Holy shit!!! No lack of potency with these!!!! Ive had a couple folks question thepotency of TPOG and I mustve gotten lucky with this pheno!!! And 80% purple(the calyxes!!) at week 8!! The TPOG'swill be my primary strain right at this point, so Im getting ready to airlayer the shit outta my 2 mothers!!!
Tissue Culture has become of intrest also as of latey. Kinda sounds easy.Just need a sterile environment. And a thorough understanding of the process of course! Garden of Dreams is a very knowledgable Farmer.And a great guy! He done a great job on the thread!!!
I plan on playing around with all of these cool methods and techniques we've discussed. The Farm is so valuable and inspiring to all of us!!!

Top Bottom