Air pump question

• Thread starter Slinging
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Slinging

Slinging

Is a 70L air pump big enough for my 12 site RDWC it has 4 gallon buckets with large air stones.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Is a 70L air pump big enough for my 12 site RDWC it has 4 gallon buckets with large air stones.
The pumps I am familiar with aren't measured this way. Is that per minute, per hour? Got a link to what you're looking at?

Slinging

Slinging

The pumps I am familiar with aren't measured this way. Is that per minute, per hour? Got a link to what you're looking at?

Sorry it’s 70L per minute. 18.5 GPM so 1110 GPH
E48FD8DD 6087 4B75 A9EA 1526AA500A70

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The stones should have a rating. Match that to an air pump. What kind of stones are we talking about? If they are the 2x4 inch they require about 5l/min. I would say it would just cover you but I calculate at least 1.5 the required because air stones don't stay in peak condition and plug up a bit over time with organic matter.

TLDR: technically yes it will work if doing 1 stone per site but I personally would feel more comfortable with 2 of those.

Slinging

Slinging

The stones should have a rating. Match that to an air pump. What kind of stones are we talking about? If they are the 2x4 inch they require about 5l/min. I would say it would just cover you but I calculate at least 1.5 the required because air stones don't stay in peak condition and plug up a bit over time with organic matter.

TLDR: technically yes it will work if doing 1 stone per site but I personally would feel more comfortable with 2 of those.

I am using the 2x4 air stones and 1 per site. I didn’t know if I could get by with one pump for now until I can get another one. Thanks

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I am using the 2x4 air stones and 1 per site. I didn’t know if I could get by with one pump for now until I can get another one. Thanks
Just remember 5l/min is the minimum running with maximum efficiency. I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket.

chemistry

chemistry

Pump will be fine for a 4 gallon rez @ 18.5 gpm turn over, that's your rez turned over 4 times per minute, times that by 60, and your rez is turned over 240 times per hour.

chemistry

chemistry

I have the same pump and have ran 6 three and a half gallon rez's with it no problem.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

He is running 12-4 gal res. The airstone he is using require a minimum of 5l per min to operate. I'm not talking about the required DO levels I'm talking about matching the equipment so that it functions properly. There is the option of going with smaller air stones or a bigger air pump in order to match the equipment. Something a lot of people miss.

chemistry

chemistry

I run 2 inch round airstones, his pump should be able to run 12, I always thought my pump was to much for just my 6 rezes, and unless you put in oxygen, you can only equal whats in the air around you. Mind you, I don't know if each rez is having a stone or if the rezes are run from a control.

chemistry

chemistry

Just checked my pump, it's an ACO-208 and it's blowing 35ltr into 6 two inch airstones, and I have another line connected to my PH'd water butt that I use to top up my rezes every day. So I think the 70ltr will be fine.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just checked my pump, it's an ACO-208 and it's blowing 35ltr into 6 two inch airstones, and I have another line connected to my PH'd water butt that I use to top up my rezes every day. So I think the 70ltr will be fine.
Yes but your air stones are smaller correct?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I agree most over due the amount of air needed. But you still need to match equipment to ensure it functions properly. I have seen countless examples of this over the years. Air stones run with minimums can run into problems. They can stream bubbles out in a line severely reducing surface agitation. They clog with organics matter much faster and can create uneven distribution of air. You need some back pressure to keep the distribution as even as possible.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Correct. A 2 inch stone will bubble a 4 gallon rez with ease. I'm not a fan of the flat stones, because I like my stones just above the bottom of my rez.
I don't doubt for a sec 2" rounds will work perfectly fine.

Slinging

Slinging

The air stones I have are the 2 x4x .25 I only have three so I’m not committed to them if I can down size the air stones and have the system work properly I can do that. Would a 2” be enough air for the 4 gal bucket?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The air stones I have are the 2 x4x .25 I only have three so I’m not committed to them if I can down size the air stones and have the system work properly I can do that. Would a 2” be enough air for the 4 gal bucket?
I would say that should not be a problem. The key is surface agitation the more surface area moving the better gas exchange. 2" fine air stones should require less volume to run adequately.

Latest posts

Top Bottom