Air Stones good or bad?

• Thread starter silverhaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
silverhaze

silverhaze

The more I read the more I'm confused about the use of air stones in a res. I've read so many posts from people saying not to use them. So air stones or no air stones in the res? If no I'm really curious as to why and how you keep your nutes oxygenated. Thanks in advance.

btw - I am currently using air stones in 25 gall res which is changed every 7 days. No algae or other build up of any kind, res does not have a lid and is in the room. Nute temp at 68. Plants look really healthy despite being a bit tall.

OGONLY

OGONLY

Whats up Silverhaze. I usually do airate my 25 gallon res using airstones. I have always believed it does some good one way or another. There are people on here that will tell you you are not actually adding oxygen to your water by doing this. I'm not sure but I don't want to change a thing.

101 Runner

101 Runner

There are a few benefits..one your keeping your water moving so it doesn't stagnate..without air you'll get more build up and a sheen on the top of the water..the air also dissolves oxygen into the water allowing for a multitude of nutritional benefits to the plant.

S

So_CaL_Sativa

When I lift up a bucket lid and see a ball of roots with bubbles busting all around them I can't help but think it's a good thing. I haven't had a chance to read the opinions against air stones, but to me it's a logical necessity.

ttystikk

ttystikk

airstones and other oxygenation options

The more I read the more I'm confused about the use of air stones in a res. I've read so many posts from people saying not to use them. So air stones or no air stones in the res? If no I'm really curious as to why and how you keep your nutes oxygenated. Thanks in advance.

btw - I am currently using air stones in 25 gall res which is changed every 7 days. No algae or other build up of any kind, res does not have a lid and is in the room. Nute temp at 68. Plants look really healthy despite being a bit tall.

Couple of things here; since your nute temps are well under control, I don't see any reason why you'd have issues, with airstones or otherwise. You keep up with nute changes and keep an eye out for algae and pathogens. I don't see why you would have any trouble.

People have problems with airstones generally when something else is serously out of whack with the system, most often temps and/or balance of microbes in the system. In this case, I consider issues with airstones to be a symptom of other problems, as opposed to a root cause by themselves.

Whats up Silverhaze. I usually do airate my 25 gallon res using airstones. I have always believed it does some good one way or another. There are people on here that will tell you you are not actually adding oxygen to your water by doing this. I'm not sure but I don't want to change a thing.

Of course you're adding oxygen to the water using airstones- if you weren't your roots would be dead! And the millions of people out there who use airstones in their aquariums would all have dead fish, too. Sometimes the debate over details overwhelms the basics, and in this case there is healthy debate going on over whether airstones represent the BEST way to oxygenate one's system. There are other methods, such as waterfalls and 'flooming', and it's important to keep in mind that while some of these others may (or may not) be a better way to add oxygen, if it's working for you in your situation, I'd advise not screwing with it.

There are a few benefits..one your keeping your water moving so it doesn't stagnate..without air you'll get more build up and a sheen on the top of the water..the air also dissolves oxygen into the water allowing for a multitude of nutritional benefits to the plant.

Agreed, and I think these are some underappreciated benefits of airstones. Turning the nutrient solution over is always beneficial, and creating turbulence on the surface to inhibit scum is darn helpful, too.

When I lift up a bucket lid and see a ball of roots with bubbles busting all around them I can't help but think it's a good thing. I haven't had a chance to read the opinions against air stones, but to me it's a logical necessity.

People's main gripes have to do with airstones clogging up, something I see mostly when there are other underlying issues with the hydro system. Airstones also have the advantage of being energy efficient, tough, cheap and replaceable. Got a problem with an airstone? Boil it, or chuck it and get another one for $3...

Flooming is when you aim the output of a submerged pump up towards the surface so that it doesn't create a geyser, but it does make a 'bump' on the water surface. This greatly increases the rate of oxygenation, but you're running a pump to do it in every res. you want to floom.
Waterfalls are nice too, but again, you're generally looking at one pump per waterfall. If you put that much energy into pumping air through airstones, my bet is they'd have similar numbers too!
Venturi injectors go between the pump and the water return to your head bucket (epicenter) or reservoir in an RDWC system, and they work by sucking air into the water flowing through them. These are good, too- but currently expensive. All different ways to skin the same oxygenation cat.

As long as each airstone is getting at least 6-8 liters per minute of air, then they should be fine. If not, then the solution to your problems will most likely be found by looking elsewhere in your hydro system.

101 Runner

101 Runner

Venturi injector is sick! Looks like the one I use every night to aerate my wine! lol

silverhaze

silverhaze

Thank you all, especially ttystikk! Incredibly thorough answer and it is highly appreciated. Seems the underlying answer for me is....don't change a thing. More later as the ladies grow. Thanks again guys..

S

Sizzla

Why change whats not broken bud.....Oxygenation is good in every sence. ttystikk nailed it

R

rickisonline

Most likely the negative comments about aerating a rez are from nutrient dealers that are selling a product that cannot be aerated. I just did a run with a dead water nutrient and not impressed at all. I'm going back to flooming my res and a product that allows me to do so.

I really get a kick out of these:
rio_motion_enlarge.jpg

Works great in a barrel when mixing nutes too!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Most likely the negative comments about aerating a rez are from nutrient dealers that are selling a product that cannot be aerated. I just did a run with a dead water nutrient and not impressed at all. I'm going back to flooming my res and a product that allows me to do so.

I really get a kick out of these:
rio_motion_enlarge.jpg

Works great in a barrel when mixing nutes too!

Oh, that's some funky chicken goin' on there! Where can you find them?

R

rickisonline

I picked mine up on ebay. They are put out by taam rio (just my preference for pumps)

Do a search for " taam rio motion " and a bunch should come up.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

ttystikk nail just about all the area for air and no air.

I like waterfall. I pulled the air stones out because of the mess and clean up it needs. Just this week upgraded to an nft cycle timer and a eco pluse 1500g to do flooming.

Other product you can check into for adding o2 in the tank. DC current. You can shock the Res to take the H20 and make the hydrogen rise to the top. while the oxygen sinks in the tank. Hydrogen is 16 times liter then oxygen. Check into Dark Star i believe for these strange devices.

ttystikk

ttystikk

ttystikk nail just about all the area for air and no air.

I like waterfall. I pulled the air stones out because of the mess and clean up it needs. Just this week upgraded to an nft cycle timer and a eco pluse 1500g to do flooming.

Other product you can check into for adding o2 in the tank. DC current. You can shock the Res to take the H20 and make the hydrogen rise to the top. while the oxygen sinks in the tank. Hydrogen is 16 times liter then oxygen. Check into Dark Star i believe for these strange devices.

...also known as electrylosis. Not sure what this kind of current would do to the plants that are connected to the water you're doing it in. I'd actually like to see someone try it, just to see if the plants' hairs stand on end!

This also happens in car batteries, and can be an explosive hazard if things aren't very well ventilated. Nevermind the nasty shock hazard...

G

genEric

Our top-feed table returns to the res via a waterfall so we get plenty of good aeration. Otherwise I'd drop a small stone in there.

It's a small price to pay with many potential benefits and, to the best of my limited knowledge, few if any.

Heck thirty bucks will buy you a fine pump, a fat stone, and a few feet of hose. A small price to pay in the grand scheme, no? This coming from the frugal gardener ;-)

Next stone I'm buying WILL be one of those righteous glass stones as they last forever. I throw out standard stones after each run as to my thinking they are too hard to clean and two bucks insn't worth risking disease. Sure I could bleach 'em but the bleach used costs as much as a stone!

Don't buy the Chinese blue stones as I've yet to see one that worked worth a damn. Spend the extra dollar on at least the grey stones or, better yet, glass.

-genEric

Top Bottom