Alcohol Extraction

• Thread starter ShiftyThumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sox

sox

this is the best i could get with 91% and dried, chopped, frozen popcorns. this is just running the ISO over the popcorns, not put in a mason jar, just poured right over.
2012 06 21 22 14 57 149
2012 06 21 22 15 54 31

Today im trying with 99%, right off the plant fresh, frozen, untrimmed, nugs.

sox

sox

i tried the hot water wash that TM posted on another batch , but it feels like im catching all the bad stuff and NONE of the good stuff...maybe im doing it wrong...Acetone didnt do shit, probably doing that wrong too.

Fools Gold

Fools Gold

this is the best i could get with 91% and dried, chopped, frozen popcorns. this is just running the ISO over the popcorns, not put in a mason jar, just poured right over.View attachment 228056View attachment 228057
i prefer using dried materials, with qwiso.
first i use alot less contact time. really seconds, i repour over the same material 2-3 times, but always seperate the last pull and the squeeze.

and if you do get green color just put the alch. in the sun or under an hid.

your two biggest problems are(imho)
contact time
and maybe not working fast enough??? if your alch. isnt super cold it will draw out water and other things that will make you oil dark and harsh.

Reactions: sox
sox

sox

first i use alot less contact time. really seconds, i repour over the same material 2-3 times, but always seperate the last pull and the squeeze.

contact time
and maybe not working fast enough??? if your alch. isnt super cold it will draw out water and other things that will make you oil dark and harsh.

Contact time is literaly 1-2 seconds...alch was in the freezer for about 24 hours.

sox

sox

i pour and repour over just like you do in a re usable coffe filter.

Graywolf

Graywolf

this is the best i could get with 91% and dried, chopped, frozen popcorns. this is just running the ISO over the popcorns, not put in a mason jar, just poured right over.View attachment 228056View attachment 228057

You're close. Maybe the difference between 91% and 99%.

Maybe some room for tweaking too. Did you chill the Iso and buds first? How fine did you chop the bud?

Strong UV light before evaporating away the alcohol, will break down the light green chlorophyll tint, but will also destroy some cannabinoids. Probably not noticeably, with no more green hue than you have.

The real test is the taste. Unless it tastes bad, is harsh, or doesn't work well, why should we really care what color it is?

If you want gorgeous amber, it would be easier to start with a non polar solvent, but then you don't get some of the same floral undertones.

Graywolf

Graywolf

contact time

I only extract dried material with Iso, because of the issue with the water solubles.

I've done fresh frozen material with Iso, but it has a soapy taste, while Iso from dried material is floral and tasty.

sox

sox

You're close. Maybe the difference between 91% and 99%.

Maybe some room for tweaking too. Did you chill the Iso and buds first? How fine did you chop the bud?

Strong UV light before evaporating away the alcohol, will break down the light green chlorophyll tint, but will also destroy some cannabinoids. Probably not noticeably, with no more green hue than you have.

The real test is the taste. Unless it tastes bad, is harsh, or doesn't work well, why should we really care what color it is?

If you want gorgeous amber, it would be easier to start with a non polar solvent, but then you don't get some of the same floral undertones.

The taste is initially amazing, but it gets a burnt taste kinda quick...
ISO and Buds were chilled for 24 hours, buds were chopped pretty well.
So the green will leave if i put in in the sun? then it will just be kinda black correct?
The color does not bug me at all, id just like to learn how to get it amber.
Thanks!
-Sox

Graywolf

Graywolf

Contact time is literaly 1-2 seconds...alch was in the freezer for about 24 hours.

Sorry I didn't notice this first! I suspect your color is in the 91% Iso unless you chopped fine.

sox

sox

I only extract dried material with Iso, because of the issue with the water solubles.

I've done fresh frozen material with Iso, but it has a soapy taste, while Iso from dried material is floral and tasty.

oh, crap, i thought it was supposed to be fresh and frozen..damn...so i should get it out of the freezer and dry it out? maybe a decarb in the oven or no?

Graywolf

Graywolf

The taste is initially amazing, but it gets a burnt taste kinda quick...
ISO and Buds were chilled for 24 hours, buds were chopped pretty well.
So the green will leave if i put in in the sun? then it will just be kinda black correct?
The color does not bug me at all, id just like to learn how to get it amber.
Thanks!
-Sox

Looks like we are missing each other by one post. Hee, hee, hee..........

Try just breaking the nugs up by hand to about 1/4", and you will have less leaf margins bleeding cholorophyll.

Get some 99% instead of 91% and I suspect you may be there.

Are you vaporizing the oil, or are you burning it? Burned oil does develop a phenolic taste, because it is a phenol.

If you put the alcohol and oil solution in the sun, before evaporating it off, the UV will break any chlorophyll down into its components, which are not green. A bandaid, not a fix.

sox

sox

Are you vaporizing the oil, or are you burning it? Burned oil does develop a phenolic taste, because it is a phenol.

when evaping or smoking?
I tried the double boil method and i tried the evap with a fan...as for medicating i use one of those oil domes and a torch.

sox

sox

If you put the alcohol and oil solution in the sun, before evaporating it off, the UV will break any chlorophyll down into its components, which are not green. A bandaid, not a fix.

Will the Chlorophyll be "easier" to remove once its been broken down into its components?

jump

jump

This is a very successful scenario. I did it with ethanol 96% and was literally shocked by the purity of the extract.
Ethanol dissolves more slowly than isopropyl, the duration of pure extraction of fresh flowers in ethanol is a few minutes, even without freezing.
The key point is the juiciness of the material. Contrary to popular belief, juiciness and intact epithelium perfectly protect the chlorophyll from the solvent access to it.
Moreover, careful hydration of dry material also improves the quality of the extract.
This is the fastest of all the clean extraction methods. Amber in 15 minutes after removal from the bush.

Top Bottom