All CMH for flower?

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Andy

Andy

Hi all,

I've always used 600w HPS lamps for flowering. This time, I've added in some 4K 315w CMH lamps as part of a quest to increase quality. Would anyone know if quality/resin/terpene production would improve further if I converted to all CMH?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I tested hps, mh, and 3100k cmh in my room and all combinations and my best results were with Hortilux 600w super hps and a phillips 315 3100k cmh.

Cmh alone kept plants too leafy and squat much like the Hortilux Blue Mh.

Also the footprint is a foot wider with the 600’s. In my open room cmh gave about 2.5’x 2.5’ for flowering and i get 3.5 x 3.5 with 600 watt hps or mh. In my 3x3 tent the cmh was more intense and was more than enough.

Andy

Andy

Great thanks - I already have the HPS+CMH combination so I might leave it at that until LEDs get significantly more efficient.

Just out of interest, did you try HPS vs CMH at watt per watt equivalent? i.e. 600W of HPS vs 630W of CMH?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Great thanks - I already have the HPS+CMH combination so I might leave it at that until LEDs get significantly more efficient.

Just out of interest, did you try HPS vs CMH at watt per watt equivalent? i.e. 600W of HPS vs 630W of CMH?

No I only have 1 315 cmh lamp. I bought it back when everyone was claiming it could equal a 600w hps. It cant. Its a powerful little lamp but gave over 30% less yield than hps in my room multiple tries.

Also the flowers looked frostier under it but not so much when compared with dried product. And no one could tell which was which in blind testing. We tested a bunch of patients.

Lots of hype out there. I will eventually go led too but they keep changing them every few months still. And the prices are coming down. It will stabilize one day.

Andy

Andy

Interesting that the CMH flowers didn't show much difference when dry - maybe the CMH has been a bit overhyped regarding increased quality. I was hoping that swapping some for my some of my HPS lights would give better flavours, more resin etc.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Interesting that the CMH flowers didn't show much difference when dry - maybe the CMH has been a bit overhyped regarding increased quality. I was hoping that swapping some for my some of my HPS lights would give better flavours, more resin etc.

It has been proven to increase thc but that doesnt equate to a better high in my and blind testers opinions.

It did shorten flowering about 5 days on known cuts and defonitely brought out more colors in the plants leaves but not so much the buds themselves unless a purple pheno anyway.

I think the Hortilux super hps has enough blue to help with quality already. And i think general plant health to the true finish time increases quality more than anything

The rest is mostly hype to sell products or for buyers to justify spending money on them in my opinion. Confirmation bias.

pdasterly

pdasterly

I tested hps, mh, and 3100k cmh in my room and all combinations and my best results were with Hortilux 600w super hps and a phillips 315 3100k cmh.

Also the footprint is a foot wider with the 600’s. In my open room cmh gave about 2.5’x 2.5’ for flowering and i get 3.5 x 3.5 with 600 watt hps or mh. In my 3x3 tent the cmh was more intense and was more than enough.
added 630 cmh to my 1000 de setup and bud got leafy, running both 3100k and 4200k bulb in the cmh. Thinking of replacing the 4200k bulb with 3100k in bloom

CannaFlowers

CannaFlowers

I have not found shit on web about info but have you tried or heard of any results with the lep's(plasma) or especially the ceramic hps (not cmh actually ceramic hps)(that's what I'm thinking of adding)

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
I have not found shit on web about info but have you tried or heard of any results with the lep's(plasma) or especially the ceramic hps (not cmh actually ceramic hps)(that's what I'm thinking of adding)

This is the description to the one "I think" MiMed is recommending....

The Hortilux Super HPS 600W Enhanced Spectrum grow lamps fine-tune your lighting system to give you the absolute plant growth. The Eye Super HPS EN Grow Lamps provide 17% more total energy and 25% more energy in the violet, blue, and green spectrum than standard high pressure sodium lamps.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Sorry I have not tried those but have considered the hortilux ceramic hps.

Andy

Andy

Interesting - how come no more blue? Up until recently I’ve always vegged under 7200k halides.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Interesting - how come no more blue? Up until recently I’ve always vegged under 7200k halides.

I use 6500k t-5 flourescents. They work great but they are slower. The 3100k cmh did a similar job but a couple weeks faster.

Cant just go by color temp. The spectrum is different with different bulb types and even companies.

The 3100k is plenty balanced.

Latest posts

Top Bottom