ALL stigmas turned brown and shriveled up

• Thread starter Lowrider342
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Lowrider342

Hi guys, shit im certainly confused about what happened here. First time grower. This is an outdoor grow mid flower (about 4 weeks) had some PM on this one plant so I did 3% peroxide spray at night and then in the morning (im full sun, mistake I know). Then I did a baking some 1Tbs to 1 gallon spray in full sun (mistake I now know). Finally got some Bonide spray with potassium salts~ that seems to be working but ALL the stigmas turned dark brown and shriveled up. I have 1 hermie plant nearby and I’ve seen my other plant pollinated (brown tips, white hairs) but this is totally different. Any ideas?

All stigmas turned brown and shriveled up
All stigmas turned brown and shriveled up 2
All stigmas turned brown and shriveled up 3
All stigmas turned brown and shriveled up 4
All stigmas turned brown and shriveled up 5
All stigmas turned brown and shriveled up 6
TSD

TSD

It was the baking soda, can't spray that on buds...I too learned that lesson the hard way last year when my second location got pm and I used baking soda cause it was spreading towardsthe buds, I was even deeper into flower. All my pistils got burnt and the bud tasted like shit, went to extractions. Plus you sprayed more stuff and in the sun... you toasted your pistils my friend, sorry.

L

Lowrider342

It was the baking soda, can't spray that on buds...I too learned that lesson the hard way last year when my second location got pm and I used baking soda cause it was spreading towardsthe buds, I was even deeper into flower. All my pistils got burnt and the bud tasted like shit, went to extractions. Plus you sprayed more stuff and in the sun... you toasted your pistils my friend, sorry.
Aww jeez, thanks well lesson learned. It still smells kinda sweet though so I’ll see what ends up happening. First grow, mostly just for fun. It’s been a good learning experience. :)

Reactions: TSD
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Potassium salts will also do it. They dessicate the stigmas and make them look "done."

L

Lowrider342

Potassium salts will also do it. They dessicate the stigmas and make them look "done."
Oh grreat 🤦. So I’ve been spraying the potassium salts now for a couple days to get rid of the PM which is under control but still showing up in small amounts. I was seeing rust colored spotting earlier on the leaves, figured calcium deficiency (purified watering) so I got some Espoma organic Berry-tone and sprinkled that on a day or two ago. And now the fan leaves are turning light green, leaf tips are showing discoloration and browning. I’m kind of at a loss for this hermie plant of mine, any thoughts?? I also tested PH it’s 6.2. Dunno what to do. 🤷‍♂️
85FC7F4F EF87 4BAD 976F 0EC154E73FB0

06469DA0 22F5 436E A6D4 629D23B4EF2D
776778AA CE83 4B3A BD10 A887A6A1DD7B
3A41E041 D310 4428 8735 7795163B7F69
37F9D0AC EC8D 4002 90D1 21CCD9363C3A
3C06A95B 789E 4D5A 8252 400A89B4AC69
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Go ahead and treat it with potassium salts. It's not going to hurt the plant if used according to the label. Just realize that it's not done because the stigmas are red.

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

Are you sure it's PM?

Damage on the leaves looks closer to thrips.

TBF I've only ever had PM on one plant so I'm not an expert by any means.

L

Lowrider342

Are you sure it's PM?

Damage on the leaves looks closer to thrips.

TBF I've only ever had PM on one plant so I'm not an expert by any means.
You’re right there is some thrip damage but that was from earlier in the season, hardly ever saw any of them. The PM has been cleared in the photos but my main concern now is the lightening of the fan leaves and the discoloration taking place. I’m thinking I may have been overwatering.

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

So I hate to be the asshole, but if you have a hermit producing pollen you have cross breeding. It’s seems the Potassium spray wasn’t great. But some of those calyx look swollen, and you may be making seeds.

nomdeplume

nomdeplume

You need to get a magnifying glass and check the bottoms of those leaves that have stipling. It looks like spidermite damage.

L

Lowrider342

So I hate to be the asshole, but if you have a hermit producing pollen you have cross breeding. It’s seems the Potassium spray wasn’t great. But some of those calyx look swollen, and you may be making seeds.
You’re right. This first grow was mostly to get my feet wet. I’ve definitely found seeds on one of my females. The thing is the buds on this hermie smell the best out of my 3 plants so that’s why I’ve kept it. Next season I’m definitely gonna do my research & prep. But on that note, at this point on the hermie plant all of the fan leaves are turning yellow, I’m not sure what to do about it. Any ideas? Haven’t sprayed the potassium salts for a few days (for the record it was the baking soda spray in full sun that was the problem, the potassium hasn’t produced any negative results far as I can tell unless the dying fan leaves are a result.)

7D8DA4A7 9074 45DB 809D 843DE40C28ED
L

Lowrider342

You need to get a magnifying glass and check the bottoms of those leaves that have stipling. It looks like spidermite damage.
Holy shit you’re right! I’d checked a bunch of times but I guess they were too tiny and I hadn’t looked close enough. I guess it’s back to the Bonide potassium salts! No wonder this plants been dying. All of the fam leaves have been turning yellow and I’ve been scratching my head!

4F05E284 9B0A 4279 8A8B E264105D47D7
D31EAE6F 197E 4744 8E7A 5C4EAD95AB24
9F55157E 74AD 4633 9B52 F8D03146CB1B
L

Lowrider342

You’re right. This first grow was mostly to get my feet wet. I’ve definitely found seeds on one of my females. The thing is the buds on this hermie smell the best out of my 3 plants so that’s why I’ve kept it. Next season I’m definitely gonna do my research & prep. But on that note, at this point on the hermie plant all of the fan leaves are turning yellow, I’m not sure what to do about it. Any ideas? Haven’t sprayed the potassium salts for a few days (for the record it was the baking soda spray in full sun that was the problem, the potassium hasn’t produced any negative results far as I can tell unless the dying fan leaves are a result.)
Update: Actually @nomedeplume figured it out - spider mites!

A2F350FF 45A6 4BDA 8FA0 5F116D0CA295
L

Lowrider342

Just took a closer look and found whole bunch of these little black bugs! Are these spider mites or different?

B666E4A5 016C 4B11 8741 58A1108DBA6E
EEC93287 022B 4338 84F6 445A09167FE2
E08DDD53 FD8B 49CD A4E9 8111DF922380
CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

Those look like adult thrips.

They can't really fly well, and hop to get around. They get stuck in the resin on the leaves/buds. With that many adults around, you're likely to have a crap ton of larvae. Your leaves show extensive thrip damage too. Everyone one of those white spots on the leaves is from where adults laid their eggs.

L

Lowrider342

Those look like adult thrips.

They can't really fly well, and hop to get around. They get stuck in the resin on the leaves/buds. With that many adults around, you're likely to have a crap ton of larvae. Your leaves show extensive thrip damage too. Everyone one of those white spots on the leaves is from where adults laid their eggs.
Yikes! What do you recommend? More potassium salts?

Latest posts

Top Bottom