Almost there !! 3 weeks left ?

• Thread starter Steve705
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Steve705

Steve705

First timer. Just a couple pics of the grow. I’m at 7 weeks flower. Nugs are getting super fat. Can’t even get my fingers around them. Starting to get real anxious haha. I feel like this part of growing is the true test of patience. LoL

Almost there  3 weeks left
Almost there  3 weeks left 2
Almost there  3 weeks left 3
Almost there  3 weeks left 4
Almost there  3 weeks left 5
Almost there  3 weeks left 6
az2000

az2000

Could you elaborate? I will take any tips into consideration. 👍🏻

When will you decide to harvest? People typically look for the pistils to brown, and the thrichomes to turn to cloudy. (But, some people harvest while clear, for a more head-high. Others wait till the trichomes turn amber for a couch-lock. I think the rule of thumb is mostly cloudy (middle ground).

If you didn't know which, then you could take a bud while clear, and keep track of it while drying/curing (keep it seperate). Smoke some of it. Compare that to cloudy, an amber.

You'll need a microscope for that. I don't like many of the microscopes. They're hard to use (move the wrong direction, upside-down vision.). Harbor Freight sells a jewler's magnifier (two lenses) that you clip to glasses. It's 16.5x. But, buy some cheap reading glasses at the drug store. 3x. That's 50x. Not as strong as a microscope. but, strong enough to view the trichomes. Hands free.

Steve705

Steve705

When will you decide to harvest?
I’m not super sure yet. I have a loupe (30x and 60x) and I’ve been checking to see if they are going cloudy. I sometimes have trouble seeing but once I focus in I can get a good view. All of them are still clear. Lots of hairs are still pointing out. I’d say about 50% of the hairs have darkened too. I didn’t think it could be ready with under 8 weeks of flower ? I thought the general timeframe is 8-10 weeks. I love the “glasses” idea. I’m definitely going to get a pair tomorrow. I attached a pic of “when to harvest” and I have been kinda using that as a guideline

A88AB14A F0FB 4B72 BE85 6AA4DE5D562A
3A8B5010 F7ED 4E1C 937E B602DEDE1103
az2000

az2000

When you google about how to dry/cure, keep in mind that you're reading things that typically don't mention it was summer or winter, or it's a dry or humid climate. My first harvest, I read "hang to dry for 7-10 days, until the stems snap when you bend them." That doesn't work in my dry/desert climate. Within two days the outside of the buds become crunchy dry -- while the stems and centers of the buds are wet. (If I described what I do, it would be a disaster for someone in Miami this time of year. They'd have mold.). You want to get the moisture down in a controlled way, evenly. But, somewhat quickly. (If your climate was humid, and it dries to slowly, you can have mold. If you have humidity, hanging in a closet is good. If you don't, using paper bags can moderate the exchange of moisture.).

Anyway, unless something you read gives enough specifics that it works in your climate, you'll want to apply you own judgement as you dry, be prepared to do something different.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Buy several good pairs of scissors. Do it now. When you start take one or two stems at a time and trim 'em good. Clip as much leaf as possible. If you're up for more clip a few more stems.

Take your time. Expect to spent an hour or two a night for a few nights.

Drying. Optimal is about 70 degrees Fahrenheit, 60% relative humidity and about 12 days until the stems snap when bent. This can be difficult to create and maintain unless you have the required tools.

If not find the coolest spot you can hang the colas. Near a garage floor works as it's cooler than hanging from the rafters. Once the stems snap went bent it's time to jar.

Clip buds from stem and place into a jar with a lid about 3/4 full. Do not pack jars.

Keep in a cool dark place and open daily for a few minutes and allow to breath. Twice a day is good.

After a week or so the bud flavor, as the water is slowly removed, will improve. After 3-4 weeks it will remain stable for several months and you won't need to open the jars daily, just when you need some or just to smell it. Trust me, it's a delicacy.

Of course you will try it after harvest (nasty, too green), after drying (harsh) a day or two in the jar (getting better) and of course after it's ready.

Best bet once all is said and done is to roll one up. Taste and high can be assessed.

ProTip: Wear a bandaid on fingers touching siccors. New one's each trimming sessions.

FYI, it's all worth it. 😉

Uno

Uno

When you google about how to dry/cure, keep in mind that you're reading things that typically don't mention it was summer or winter, or it's a dry or humid climate. My first harvest, I read "hang to dry for 7-10 days, until the stems snap when you bend them." That doesn't work in my dry/desert climate. Within two days the outside of the buds become crunchy dry -- while the stems and centers of the buds are wet. (If I described what I do, it would be a disaster for someone in Miami this time of year. They'd have mold.). You want to get the moisture down in a controlled way, evenly. But, somewhat quickly. (If your climate was humid, and it dries to slowly, you can have mold. If you have humidity, hanging in a closet is good. If you don't, using paper bags can moderate the exchange of moisture.).

Anyway, unless something you read gives enough specifics that it works in your climate, you'll want to apply you own judgement as you dry, be prepared to do something different.
Do you mind sharing your drying technique? I’m in the desert too and a newbie

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Where is the coolest place in your home?

There's a thread here discussing drying in a refrigerator. I'm going to give it a go as I'm getting static about "stinking" up the house again this year.

az2000

az2000

I should probably buy a humidifier and use the tent to control the humidity, and bring it down in a more controlled way.

I hang in a closet for 2 days (that's about all I can do before the outside is crispy). I cut the stems to fit in a sterlite plastic bin. I use a Caliber IV meter to see the humidity in that bin. Then I know how long I can leave the lid ajar (and how far ajar). I'll reattach the lid, look at the meter after 20 minutes, then another period of leaving the lid partially off. It's like minor overdrying, then letting them rehydrate; then overdry again. It's not very steady.

Paper bags might moderate the exchange of moisture with the dry climate. But, they dry too fast for me. I like to be able to see the meter. If you open the bag to see it, then you make the problem worse by releasing the moderately humid air.

Ball makes a decorative 1gal canning jar. The lid doesn't seal. (Target sells it. I've seen it at Walmart.). I have a few of those and use them to moderate the seapage of moisture to the very dry air. They seal better than the sterlite bin. I can even put plastic wrap over the mouth of the jar, and slide the loose lid over. That's much more air tight than the sterlite. (So, I go from hang, to sterlite, then to the gallon decorative jars to slow the drying even more.).

It's not fun. It takes a lot of attention. It seems like it should be possible to set the humidity in the tent to 40% and let the buds dry in a more controlled way (with less fighting the too-dry air). That's probably the real solution.

BloodShot

BloodShot

A little jar of alcohol will help to keep things from getting too sticky.
You can dip your fingers and scissors in it to rinse off the trichomes and save it then reduce it for the oil, or just make some finger hash.

Latest posts

Top Bottom