Aloha Fellow [auto] Growers. Need Some Experience Please :)

• Thread starter mystika
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mystika

I've done a few indoor & outdoor grows combined. And a TON of research. In Southern Hemisphere so good long hot dry summers generally.

This is my first Auto Grow btw and I need some help. Happy to move this to correct forum here?

I planted a couple Auto's (Critical & Kush) about 6 weeks ago now. Keeping them mostly outside (13 hours daylight currently) but indoors overnight under 4 x 4" T5 6500K tubes (216W total) for ultimately 18/6. Back in sun around 8 or 9am, back inside under lights around 5pm.

Anyway they were doing ok for first couple of weeks although some of the plants did grow very wavy leaves at 1-2 weeks old (3rd / 4th internodes) and curvy leaves.. Thought was due to Auto genetics but maybe not. Looking back at photos some new growth was yellow already?? They're in smart pots and I'm using the best premium soil I can get. The soil says water at 5.5 - 6.0 pH which I have been doing with rain water adjusted with pH down. I definitely have NOT been overwatering. I watered sparingly when the pots felt light. That said I wasn't getting any runoff since that would meaning watering so much it would saturate the 10L smart pots too much. The soil holds quite a lot of water. Mistake not getting run-off?

I did do lots of reading on Autos so only at about 3+ weeks old I gave them their first nutes, some very weak fish emulsion (like 0.25mL / L) and they didnt' like it at all. Original cotyledons and then first true leaves starting yellowing next day virtually. I've done a few foliar sprays as well of Kelpak before and then Epsom salts over the past week as well to help keep them strong...

Now the plants are exhibiting what I believe is some Calcium & Magnesium "deficiency". Likely due to my soil pH is what I've come to realise. I've flushed (with 20+L per 10L pot) with adjusted rain water at around 6.8 pH [I think soil pH was too low so over compensated a little] but they bottom leaves continue to get worse. I've also had a few white spots higher up on newer growth. And weird zig-zag lines kind of like an insect would make? But likely not, been keeping a very close eye on any pests. Only a few small thrips early on but now not many.

The Criticals showed pistils at 3 weeks so have started to fill out nicely now. Kush is running few weeks behind already.

So where did I go wrong? Didnt flush enough? Or have the plants slowly been becoming more and more deficient and I just didnt notice.

Next steps? Add Cal or Mag supplements? Keep using rain water? I know its soft but the soil manufacturer has below to say. If that's so, then surely I dont need to add Calcium supplements? Use pH'ed Tap water that has Calcium in it?

I was planning on using Bio Bloom on the Criticals pretty soon, seems their vertical growth is slowing) but at this rate I dont want things to get worse.

--

Soil Ingredients: Coco Coir, Worm Castings, Compost, Perlite (10%), Vermiculite,
Volcanic Rock Dust, Bone Meal, Gypsum, Fermented probiotic bran, Organic
nutrients

"Ideal watering pH for Freedom Farms Growing Mediums: 5.5 – 6.0
Pure coconut coir has a pH between 5.8 - 6.8. A substrate/soil pH of between 5.5
and 6.5 is ideal for nutrient uptake in most plants. Freedom Farms Coco coir is
buffered and charged with natural amendmments. The high Calcium content of
our amendmments maintains the pH in the 6.5-6.8 range and will prevent a
decrease in pH (substrate acidification) resulting from fertilizer application or
waterings at a low pH. The soil pH is therefore buffered against decreasing pH.
On the other hand, an incremental increase in pH resulting from tap water (pH 7-
8.5) use can cause the soil pH to increase above the optimal range for nutrient
uptake. The soil pH is therefore not buffered against increasing pH caused by
using un-pH’d tap water. Watering with a pH of 5.5-6.0 will ensure the pH of the
soil remains in the optimal range of 5.5-6.5.
"

Aloha fellow auto growers need some experience please
Aloha fellow auto growers need some experience please 2
Aloha fellow auto growers need some experience please 3
Aloha fellow auto growers need some experience please 4
Aloha fellow auto growers need some experience please 5
Aloha fellow auto growers need some experience please 6
Aloha fellow auto growers need some experience please 7
Aloha fellow auto growers need some experience please 8
Aloha fellow auto growers need some experience please 9
Aloha fellow auto growers need some experience please 10
Aloha fellow auto growers need some experience please 11
Aloha fellow auto growers need some experience please 12
M

mystika

Fine maybe, but not perfect. Some more pics of problem. Also the leaf here with red arrow is very droopy & soft now and will no doubt go yellow and shrivel up soon. Something is lacking for sure.

IMG 20181030 172550
IMG 20181030 172602
IMG 20181030 172616
JerryGarcia

JerryGarcia

Fine maybe, but not perfect. Some more pics of problem. Also the leaf here with red arrow is very droopy & soft now and will no doubt go yellow and shrivel up soon. Something is lacking for sure.

W

Wrathoftejus

I had similar issues with my autos, by no means an expert but im seeing positive results now after flushing my soil with 5ml florakleen a gallon. I didnt use many nutes but people are not lying about autos being picky. 3 days after the flush im seeing the plant pick up with really dark green new growth. Locked out real quick

Edit. Btw my plants looked 20 times worse than these plants before i went to this

M

mystika

Thanks for info guys. Leaf miners a def issue but not main concern right now... After last proper flush (pretty hard with smart pots, wrapped side with plastic to help flush through soil properly) the plants seem greener and happier.

However now the lower leaves are getting used for their nutrients so am definitely missing something. Everytime I add nutes (very mild like 1ml / 4L of Nitrosol for eg.) it seems to get worse though?

IMG 20181106 170935
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
The leaves that dont get much light will be eaten, the bottom leaves are the first to go. Up you nitrogen a bit if you want to keep them. But honestly i wouldnt, they look fine.

Top Bottom