am I ok to cut these 2 giant fan leaves off this 2 week old plant?

• Thread starter CF89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CF89

CF89

these 2 leaves are giant. seems like theyre absorbing lots of light but also blocking of the lower bud sites.

am I able to trim leaves like this off?

is it more important for the bud sites to get light or the giant fan leaves?

R

redshift75

its fine. To each their own. The only one that will say if its good or bad will be the plant itself in my opinion. may have been too soon may have been perfect time to open it up. Either way. i think you will be fine.

CF89

CF89

im still learning. this is only my 2nd grow so im experimenting a lot, and making mistakes im sure. a huge yield or maximum potency really isnt my main goal here. im just trying to learn what works best and what doesnt work.

ive read articles about major defoliation creating a 20% increase in yield. ive also read others where people freak out on you if you trim one single leaf off. so who knows.

Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

The leaves are solar energy collectors to make food for the plant. Why would you want to remove them. They are in vegetative growth, too early to be worried about bud sites.
If you are having issues with airflow then removing some is ok as a preventative measure if mold or mildew is a problem.

everyone has their own preference, unless there is infection, airflow issues, I say leave them. In all reality snipping a few leaves here and there won’t really do anything to a perfectly healthy plant. So, I wouldn’t even worry about it. Experiment and learn what works for you

next time if you have a few going, try it with one, And don’t do it on another and see for yourself.

hard to see from the pic, but possibly some insect damage from some sort of piercing/sucking insect on the first pic. Give it a thorough inspection to see what’s going on there

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

A bit early to prune, it may not mind at all, at worst it will slow your plant for a few days, the plant will let u know. But you should be fine, if there in the way of your branches try gently bending them out of the way or tuck them bc the next set will probably be bigger.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

@CF89 get a better close up of your leaves in real light....i might see some mite damage...real subtle .... but subtle turns to outright infestation relatively fast with mites...just a heads up...cant tell for sure with them pic's

Madmax

Madmax

Leave them they are bottom leaves on a plant. the side branches will push through them..

CF89

CF89

ok good to know! I probably should of left em. oops.

on the plus side... this plant was the biggest of them all. id like to slow it down a little so the others can catch up so maybe this wasnt a bad thing.

will go get pics now. I think you may be right. I did see a few little flying/jumping bugs in there the other day but didnt think it was a big deal.

how did I get them and how do I kill em asap? this is another first for me.... lots of learning these last few months. only started growing in april. this is now week 2 of grow 2.

CF89

CF89

seems like you guys were right. my dad said we had a few days where there were TONS of bugs in the air. some must of snuck into the tent.

now what? can we spray them with a water alcohol mix?

R

redshift75

The leaves are solar energy collectors to make food for the plant
Thats how i explain it to people. They are solar panels. Sometimes you have to take out dead panels that are lagging the circuit. other times you need to adjust the panels or remove them to make other panels more efficient. But largely your goal is to amass as many healthy 'solar panels' as you can :) Thats my typical goto ELI5 phrasing on leaves.
seems like you guys were right. my dad said we had a few days where there were TONS of bugs in the air. some must of snuck into the tent.

now what? can we spray them with a water alcohol mix?

got yourself some critters there. Time to give them a nice treatment.

Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

Get yourself two different kinds of insect killers. Be sure to check that the active ingredient is different, not just the brand. You’re in veg to not have to worry about “chemicals”. As a general rule, once flowering no chemicals of any kind. Some people say you can still use up until the first couple weeks of budding, I don’t.

Hit with brand A wait three days, then hit with brand B. And keep alternating for 2 weeks and should be good. The idea is that by not using only the same active ingredient they don’t get used to it. Hit for a period of time to get all life stages. And you should be golden.

GreatWhiteShart

GreatWhiteShart

You can defoliate once a plant is established and know the strain.
I typically don't remove fan leaves till they are becoming an issue. If its a healthy plant it can over come alot.
Just do all the damage in veg, be gentle in flower!

CF89

CF89

yeah learned that the hard way too. I bent a branch in flower and CRACK. broke a branch, which turned that one plant hermie, which technically could of ruined my entire grow just from breaking the branch from one plant. wild.

I will look into insect killer ASAP. would stuff from home depot or walmart work? would an alcohol/water mix be suitable as one of the ways?

Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

I’m not sure if alcohol will do anything off the top of my head.

I have a strain that is susceptible to PM, early in veg I use sulfur powder and water as a preventative, don’t think bugs really like it that much either. I mix 10% of 99% isopropyl alcohol to the mix too. Helps with evaporation after a good spray And plants aren’t wet as long.

CF89

CF89

well I hit them twice with dishsoap and a spray bottle. I sprayed the entire bottle on the 4 plants, and the dirt, and the plant walls. soaked everything in dishsoap water except the lights. twice, 3-4 hours apart, and will do in the morning again as I source a 2nd killer.

sambapati

sambapati

The leaves are solar energy collectors to make food for the plant. Why would you want to remove them. They are in vegetative growth, too early to be worried about bud sites.
If you are having issues with airflow then removing some is ok as a preventative measure if mold or mildew is a problem.

everyone has their own preference, unless there is infection, airflow issues, I say leave them. In all reality snipping a few leaves here and there won’t really do anything to a perfectly healthy plant. So, I wouldn’t even worry about it. Experiment and learn what works for you

next time if you have a few going, try it with one, And don’t do it on another and see for yourself.

hard to see from the pic, but possibly some insect damage from some sort of piercing/sucking insect on the first pic. Give it a thorough inspection to see what’s going on there
Mr Juice on the spot with spotting that spot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom