Amekins’ Fantastical Faerie Garden Grow Diary

• Thread starter amekins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
amekins

amekins

i had no experience with slow release fertilizer until i started testing the e osmocote plus. What i have found is that the drying out of the medium the way i like is working against the release and spreading out of the nutrients. I am getting the same pale edges from deficiency as the pots dry out. When i water they perk up and start healing but then get too dry again.

i am pretty sure about this. But im in peat mix so i cant water sooner too often. I bet with coco you could mix the fertilizer prills in and just water every day or two in a 3 gallon pot. Might need some cal mag in the water for the coco.
Yeah but this plant is an autoflower in soil. I will be switching her over to EJ Seablast Bloom next feed.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I can certainly give her grow instead.
I concur with @MIMedGrower based on my own experience with accidentally cutting nitrogen more than i meant to in my last grow.

Out of curiosity, what is the pH on your runoff?

amekins

amekins

I concur with @MIMedGrower based on my own experience with accidentally cutting nitrogen more than i meant to in my last grow.

Out of curiosity, what is the pH on your runoff?
This is soil. No runoff.

amekins

amekins

i disagree with this. Still good to run some water through to clear out waste and excess.
As a general course, I don’t do that. However, all of these plants had the absolute shit flushed out of them a couple of weeks ago and then did a soil slurry. I’ll do another check itomorrow.
And change out air throughout the media. Just imo.
How would this be changing out aid any more than just regular feeding/watering?

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
How would this be changing out aid any more than just regular feeding/watering?
This, from Teaming With Microbes, explains roughly what I'm thinking better than i can.

Basically, refreshing air at the rhizome level helps the roots and the microbes in the soil. If you don't refresh all the air in the medium, you can create pockets of less than desirable micro ecosystems that mess with things.

Is my thought.

Screenshot 20210124 222006
Screenshot 20210124 222020
Screenshot 20210124 222044
Screenshot 20210124 222054
Screenshot 20210124 222107

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

This, from Teaming With Microbes, explains roughly what I'm thinking better than i can.

Basically, refreshing air at the rhizome level helps the roots and the microbes in the soil. If you don't refresh all the air in the medium, you can create pockets of less than desirable micro ecosystems that mess with things.

Is my thought.

View attachment 1083804View attachment 1083805View attachment 1083806View attachment 1083807View attachment 1083808

nice link. :-). Runoff, erosion and leaching completes the cycle.

amekins

amekins

Is my thought.

View attachment 1083804View attachment 1083805View attachment 1083806View attachment 1083807View attachment 1083808
And so, I understand what you’re saying. But I feel stupid in not seeing where that link provides info on fully “refreshing“ O2 in soil by flushing with water. I don’t mean to be obtuse. I did read the entire link though much of it was lost on me (not the actual aerobic vs. anaerobic and bio films, I get those concepts from working in healthcare). How often is periodic flushing of soil recommended? How does that not also flush out good bacteria?

Last edited:
Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
You know I'm not a soil person but I thought that's what the holes on the bottom of the pots were for? 🤔🤷‍♂️

amekins

amekins

You know I'm not a soil person but I thought that's what the holes on the bottom of the pots were for? 🤔🤷‍♂️
I tend to water to runoff even in soil. I may have washed away the amendments I added to the soil. It just seems there’s info that is contradictory regarding soil and watering to runoff and/or flushing. I don’t flush soil plants but I do tend to overwater (and then have to suction up/pour off excess).

Moshmen

Moshmen

I tend to water to runoff even in soil. I may have washed away the amendments I added to the soil. It just seems there’s info that is contradictory regarding soil and watering to runoff and/or flushing. I don’t flush soil plants but I do tend to overwater (and then have to suction up/pour off excess).
Overwatering is really watering to often , not necessarily to much

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
So long as you are getting some runoff, then you're fine imo.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
And so, I understand what you’re saying. But I feel stupid in not seeing where that link provides info on fully “refreshing“ O2 in soil by flushing with water. I don’t mean to be obtuse. I did read the entire link though much of it was lost on me (not the actual aerobic vs. anaerobic and bio films, I get those concepts from working in healthcare). How often is periodic flushing of soil recommended? How does that not also flush out good bacteria?
If you got the aerobic vs anaerobic bit then you got it. I am not suggesting flushing levels of water. But enough that you get a bit of runoff. Some people will water like a liter at a time and that can cause issues.

amekins

amekins

If you got the aerobic vs anaerobic bit then you got it. I am not suggesting flushing levels of water. But enough that you get a bit of runoff. Some people will water like a liter at a time and that can cause issues.
With the fabric pots, I water slowly as I rotate the pot, keeping one hand on the bottom of the side. When I start to feel that get cool and damp I stop. Usually that leaves at least a turkey baster full or more of runoff to be suctioned. Sometimes it’s more. But they don’t get watered like that until they are fairly light.

amekins

amekins

Spending time in an ICU with burn patients, patients with necrotic tissue, j-tube leaks, etc. Coffee grinds are a regular to deal with the smell.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
With the fabric pots, I water slowly as I rotate the pot, keeping one hand on the bottom of the side. When I start to feel that get cool and damp I stop. Usually that leaves at least a turkey baster full or more of runoff to be suctioned. Sometimes it’s more. But they don’t get watered like that until they are fairly light.
This sounds like a good technique to me. I was just asking about that little bit of runoff. Not full flush levels.

Top Bottom