Amending Soil in Fall

• Thread starter MooseFarts
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MooseFarts

MooseFarts

Hello farmers!

I know its early to start thinking about it but always good to be proactive. Figure theres many outdoor growers (and indoor i guess as well) here who reuse their soil year after year and was curious to hear what everyone chooses to use to amend their soil in the fall after harvest. I only posted this in the outdoor growers forum because most of us choose to do it over winter which has a much longer time to cook and break down what we amend our soils with, however indoor growers are more than welcome!

For me, I have access to manure so I mainly use composted chicken manure, as well as yard waste compost. Started with some new holes this year with a locally made triple mix which i mixed with promix hp and the pH is sitting around 7.3. I hope that with the compost manure/yard waste the pH drops a little. Im also open to any pointers to do this over the winter!

Whats everyone doing to amend their soil over winter?

B

Burned Haze

^
I know chicken manure is great , but is it slow release ? If the answer is no then I would just apply next year and make it the most effective for your % and maybe even stock pile your chicken shit if that’s possible ( I know the roots organic uprising grow uses it in it their combo and I’ve been using it for years )

What I would do is a little research on your poop release rates ( and what that poop does/ like if it changes the ph and any known negative) and then maybe even get your soil tested before to see what your % scores .
then go from there ( a lot of people always % test their compost before applying so they don’t over/under their plants or apply anything that’s unwanted .

Last edited by a moderator:
MooseFarts

MooseFarts

^
I know chicken manure is great , but is it slow release ? If the answer is no then I would just apply next year and make it the most effective for your % and maybe even stock pile your chicken shit if that’s possible ( I know the roots organic uprising grow uses it in it their combo and I’ve been using it for years )

What I would do is a little research on your poop release rates ( and what that poop does/ like if it changes the ph and any known negative) and then maybe even get your soil tested before to see what your % scores .
then go from there ( a lot of people always % test their compost before applying so they don’t over/under their plants or apply anything that’s unwanted .

I was thinking of applying the chicken manure in the fall since it will still be a little fresh and will need time to break down. But thats a good suggestion, I will definitely be doing a little research on the poop release rates. Thanks for that! Ill have to look into the soil tests as well, figure out where I can get one done around me or even one of those kits.

Top Bottom