And The Best Soil For A Small Harvest Would Be?

• Thread starter J Dee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Organikz

Organikz

If your buying I'll try it out, I'm in FFOF and my girls are happy as a pig in mud, I'm new to growing but I'm far from closed minded! Wanna send that gift card this way???
Enjoy the gnats bro. Might as well put them on the ingredients list. They know it. I magically have hyoapsis mites. @DemonTrich mentioned this. I got gnats from them also. Sweet!

brazel

brazel

If your buying I'll try it out, I'm in FFOF and my girls are happy as a pig in mud, I'm new to growing but I'm far from closed minded! Wanna send that gift card this way???
What state? Will You journal it? Lights you use? Follow exact method? I mean after this go explore and experiment. But this follow method? I'm not against it, let's talk!

brazel

brazel

Don't have time or room to mix and wait. I use roots organics . I like it and it's convenient.
You can buy amended soil ready to go from kis organics or buildasoil. Like 25 bucks probably same price or cheaper.

Do you know why you like it?
I like Pepsi but that don't make it good!

Now there's nothing wrong with buying something you like, keep doing it. And I have no negativity towards you.
I just wanna give a different point of view.

Bat guano, greensand, soybean meal, perlite there's better options. In fact i only feel comfortable with the pumice on this list. I don't know anything about the other ingredients... like the castings, how old what percentage?...etc Maybe info on website i don't know.

There's a lot more I could write, but if you wanna learn why you might like or not then these are stepping stones. Any questions ask

If you don't care about any of this, that's fine too! Whatever you do is cool.

Organikz

Organikz

KiS has far superior soil. Plain and simple. It's not even about the brand. Tad is a microbiologist and they depend on reputation. He also understands what excites microbial cultures and what doesn't.

That's my opinion if you're going bagged soil.

Fox farms and roots are now on a quantity over quality basis. Do you know how much dirt they sell?

It's also important to understand your soil composition. Otherwise how do you know what to top dress and when? If you have a problem with the soil how do you correct it? It's like doing hydro with tap water.

I know where my soil stands. It has about 1/2 tank nitro in reserve, 3/4 phosphorus and a full tank of potassium.

Cityfarmin

Cityfarmin

What state? Will You journal it? Lights you use? Follow exact method? I mean after this go explore and experiment. But this follow method? I'm not against it, let's talk!
So I'm in a state where the laws aren't on my side, but that doesn't stop me! I use a T5 florescent 4 bulb fixture for veg and a 400w HPS for flower. I grow because I love this plant and all it has to offer not because I wanna get stoned all day. I'll deff journal it, from start to finish. I have a few seedlings that will need to be transplanted in a week or so ( they are in peat moss and have not had any nutes added to them. I'll transplant into your soil of choice and keep a weekly updated journal and will follow method to the "T". hows that sound? I just bought another bag of FFOF, so I woulda need to know within a few days.

Cheers!

brazel

brazel

So I'm in a state where the laws aren't on my side, but that doesn't stop me! I use a T5 florescent 4 bulb fixture for veg and a 400w HPS for flower. I grow because I love this plant and all it has to offer not because I wanna get stoned all day. I'll deff journal it, from start to finish. I have a few seedlings that will need to be transplanted in a week or so ( they are in peat moss and have not had any nutes added to them. I'll transplant into your soil of choice and keep a weekly updated journal and will follow method to the "T". hows that sound? I just bought another bag of FFOF, so I woulda need to know within a few days.

Cheers!
Pm me for how i get the soil to you.

Thriv3

Thriv3

Moonshine man mix: (all fox farm soils) Light warrior, ocean forest, original planting mix. I recommend growth stones instead of perlite if you can get them. Works for all stages of the plant without burning them. Only water with pH 6.7 RO water. Transplanting is important. From cups to half gallon pots to 2 gallon then flower in 5 gallons. I have them in 7 gallon just in case I gotta top feed those extra hungry stains. KIS organics looks good too but I use this mix because a hardware store near me carries everything I need dirt cheap.

mikeb437

mikeb437

@ J Dee.

It takes very little to ignite an opinion storm here. :)
Just happy that no one recommended Miracle grow. They burst out of the woodwork for M.G. bashing. :D

But, back to your original question.
I am, by no means, a "professional".
I'm just some geek on the net who loves to experiment.
And I'm old as dirt, so I offer you years of experience with said experiments.

Best to keep it simple for the first couple grows, yah?
Ignore most of the well meaning "advice."

Small tent? First grow? I went with dirt, and water.
That worked very well. Once I had a harvest, I was hooked on growing.
Then, it was time to experiment with more difficult methods.
Oil requires a lot of bud and we have a plant number limit, so . . . :(

First, I played with nutes. Dyna-grow and Dyna-bloom beat out several other popular ferts.
My best, was also the cheapest and easiest. Captain Jacks dry nutes.
about a 20% gain over FFOF. Not bad, but I needed a better yield and 20% did not really justify the cost of the extra nutes.

Went right to hydro.
Looked for an easy flavor that I could do a soil side-by-side with.
Simple, in this case, was DWC. 5 gallon bucket, PH meter, TDS meter, air pump, net pots and hydro nutes. Almost double the yield as the same volume of un-nuted FFOF.

Downside?
Well, it's noisy and require a steep learning curve, and constant monitoring. But the deal breaker was it's alternate name, "Death Without Cause".
Was very impressive for the first 3 grows, and then . . .
Came out one morning to 2 dead plants out of 4. They were all jus' peachy the day before. My 100% gain evaporated overnight! :(

So, dialed it down a little.
I see coco as solid state hydro. Found that there are different suppliers with variable quality. (Amount of sea salt, dirt and rocks, PH anomalies. All kine sing. )
Still yield was impressive. about 80% more than dirt n fert.

Coco is great! Until it isn't.
For transferring nutes to roots, it's hard to beat. I like the scent and it's difficult to over-water. Not impossible, just difficult. (Don't ask) :)

If kept too moist it can be Fungus gnat central.
Before I learned the value of dryer sheets, tropical Fungus gnats overwhelmed my first coco grows.
The biggest hassle turned out to be "salting" near the end of flower.

Then 2 things happened. One of my patients died which cut my weight needs in half.
And Hawaii raised the plant count to 10 per patient. :)

I'm a medical grower only, and there's no point in risking crop failure or overworking to harvest more than I actually need.
So, went back to FFOF and plain water.

I'm not "anti-fert," but see no point in buying and supplying something that my girls don't ask me for and do jus' fine without, yah?

Jus' 2 cents from an old fart,
Aloha,
Weeze
Im new to this.. whats ffof?

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Fox Farms Ocean forest.
It's a decent, inexpensive soil if you just want to do an uncomplicated first grow. Or a lazy boys umpteenth grow.
In between? "Work on points for style" :D

Aloha,
Wee 'zard

GreenHawk

GreenHawk

Yeah! More than enough is too much. I only grow twice a year, I have no need to grow year round.
Sorry if I was misunderstood, I said since you no longer need quantity focus on quality. That being said I am in no way shape or form saying what you do grow is not quality.

https://merryjane.com/culture/what-is-living-soil
Check this article.

You can get a bag mixed up fresh for 25 to 45 bucks from kis organics or buildasoil ... shipping might be crazy to Hawaii

Anyway, I won't mention this again.
The reason I did is cause you said like to experiment

Cheers

Is that build a soil good to start seeds in?

Top Bottom