Any advantage of letting plant dry up in medium upright until correct dryness before going into cure?

• Thread starter Habosabin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

Watering the day before they dry slower and cure better? How so?
Because they will dry slower if they're full of water. You don't want a fast dry... so if you live in a hot dry climate, this would buy you some time. If you live in a cool damp climate, where it will take a long time to dry anyway, you may prefer to starve them of water for a week to reduce your drying time by a couple days and reduce risk of mold slightly. Everyone has a different set of circumstances, that's why there's usually no one size fits all solution for growing weed perfectly.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
You don't want them drooping and thirsty. You want them chopped at maximum respiration. So they're as full of moisture as possible when you cut them.
Don't plants generally keep a pretty even amount of inner water levels? I'm thinking osmosis, gravity, and maybe another word I'm missing? Sure, once they can't get more water up through the roots, they'll start drooping.....plant water level starts to drop.....but it's not like you can force extra water into them..?

But you'd still have to explain how cutting them at "maximum respiration" makes them dry slower.......I shouldn't put it that way, of course the maximum moisture level means the most time to dry......of course, there are other factors that are more important, like beginning the cure before they're fully dry and capturing that long cure, or the humidity level of the drying area (I already agree that we don'twant a fast dry).....what we're really getting at here is does it really matter if you water the day before vs......2 or 3 days before harvesting? I mean, not drooping is not drooping. And provided we're definitely harvesting at max ripeness.......what's the real meaningful difference if they're slightly drooping at harvest? You've just started the drying on that day vs the next day.......certainly, dying on the vine for 5 or 6 days while you keep the 12/12 going isn't advisable.....but we might be splitting hairs on the final watering day when it's the 30+ days after harvesting that matters far more.

Last edited:
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
you could dry a rice cure cover the shit completely with rice for about 2 weeks let it suck out the moisture , then you could have some cannabis flavored rice
I mean......you probably would have cannabis flavored rice. If that's what you like, sure. The rice would definitely get moist if you packed fresh cut buds in it. You'd have to monitor that.....other problems could arise.... ;). It could make for a unique dry/cure provided you got it right.

TSD

TSD

It's pretty simple I think you're making it harder lol. If you don't add water for a few to several days, the amount of moisture in the plant goes down each day as they carry out processes using the water and exhale via transpiration using the leaves to keep themselves cool. If inner water levels were kept the same by some magic, under or overwatering wouldn't be so detrimental to them. More water inside equals longer to dry because they're dead, they can't transpire anymore, it has to evaporate, and the rate at which that happens is related to your environment.

TSD

TSD

.what we're really getting at here is does it really matter if you water the day before vs......2 or 3 days before?
The difference there will be minimal, but yes there will be less water in the plant 3 days after watering than there will be the very next day after watering... because it will get used and exhaled via transpiration.

TSD

TSD

I mean......you probably would have cannabis flavored rice. If that's what you like, sure. The rice would definitely get moist if you packed fresh cut buds in it. You'd have to monitor that.....other problems could arise.... ;). It could make for a unique dry/cure provided you got it right.
Pretty sure the rice would stick, you'd lose a bunch of trichs, the terps would probably be ruined too and your bud would taste like shit, or bland rice.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
It's pretty simple I think you're making it harder lol. If you don't add water for a few to several days, the amount of moisture in the plant goes down each day as they carry out processes using the water and exhale via transpiration using the leaves to keep themselves cool. If inner water levels were kept the same by some magic, under or overwatering wouldn't be so detrimental to them. More water inside equals longer to dry because they're dead, they can't transpire anymore, it has to evaporate, and the rate at which that happens is related to your environment.
I don't know.....I'd say you're splitting hairs on something that really has no real impact unless you take your proposal to an extreme....

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
The difference there will be minimal, but yes there will be less water in the plant 3 days after watering than there will be the very next day after watering... because it will get used and exhaled via transpiration.
So if the difference is minimal.....dare I say miniscule......then we've just had some fun. ;). Hopefully both of us....

TSD

TSD

It's like we're in perfect wavelength, dialed right in.......bammo. on point.
I only start indoors and finish outside, so mother nature makes many decisions for me. I can't really starve them of water completely because they have deep robust roots that barring drought, will find water... oh and rain happens. I usually don't add water for like 5 days before chop because I'm in the Northeast and fall is damp and cool and mold is always a factor so I don't particularly want them fully saturated with water... plus I wash my buds, so that adds a day or so as well.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Pretty sure the rice would stick, you'd lose a bunch of trichs, the terps would probably be ruined too and your bud would taste like shit, or bland rice.
Well.....the rice would start pulling out the moisture, but if all/most of the leaves are left on branches before boxing them up with the rice......and you can start by hanging the branches upside down for a few days until the leaves fall down and protect (most of) the buds resin....but people have used these types of drying methods for a whole bunch of things for centuries (think mumification), so it's really a matter of getting it right, if that means opening the box every day, or dialing in an exact temp and humidity zone, it can be done. And if it is done right you will end up with (relatively) dried buds/stalks......you might even have to change the rice more than once........but you'll get cannabis flavored rice alright, whether we'd like it or not is another matter.

How long would it take? Would it dry/begin to cure the weed in a unique way? Worth it? And maybe there would be better things than rice to use.......rice being rather flavorless, one could experiment with other additions. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that probably, almost none of us would care to "flavorize" our weed, unless maybe something was wrong with the grow, we had no choice but to harvest too early........a lemon peel, apple....

The concept of a long, slow, but different kind of drying/curing is a bit interesting though. I remember reading about how inbthe 60s-70s......even before of course, the massive fields of seeded Mexican or whatever would be sun dried/cured......I've water heard of water cured (shudder.....but at least it washes chlorophyll and other unwanted plant matter out)......or they'd heap it all onto huge piles and let it ferment...

If it accomplishes something good, it's good......if it doesn't it doesn't.

TSD

TSD

Well.....the rice would start pulling out the moisture, but if all/most of the leaves are left on branches before boxing them up with the rice......and you can start by hanging the branches upside down for a few days until the leaves fall down and protect (most of) the buds resin....but people have used these types of drying methods for a whole bunch of things for centuries (think mumification), so it's really a matter of getting it right, if that means opening the box every day, or dialing in an exact temp and humidity zone, it can be done. And if it is done right you will end up with (relatively) dried buds/stalks......you might even have to change the rice more than once........but you'll get cannabis flavored rice alright, whether we'd like it or not is another matter.

How long would it take? Would it dry/begin to cure the weed in a unique way? Worth it? And maybe there would be better things than rice to use.......rice being rather flavorless, one could experiment with other additions. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that probably, almost none of us would care to "flavorize" our weed, unless maybe something was wrong with the grow, we had no choice but to harvest too early........a lemon peel, apple....

The concept of a long, slow, but different kind of drying/curing is a bit interesting though. I remember reading about how inbthe 60s-70s......even before of course, the massive fields of seeded Mexican or whatever would be sun dried/cured......I've water heard of water cured (shudder.....but at least it washes chlorophyll and other unwanted plant matter out)......or they'd heap it all onto huge piles and let it ferment...

If it accomplishes something good, it's good......if it doesn't it doesn't.
I suppose, but why? If there were a benefit, people would do it. If the flavor (terpenes) is in the rice, it's not in the weed. I'm a flavor gal myself, I like my terps in my mouth where they belong. 🤣

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I only start indoors and finish outside, so mother nature makes many decisions for me. I can't really starve them of water completely because they have deep robust roots that barring drought, will find water... oh and rain happens. I usually don't add water for like 5 days before chop because I'm in the Northeast and fall is damp and cool and mold is always a factor so I don't particularly want them fully saturated with water... plus I wash my buds, so that adds a day or so as well.
Yeah, this. Same here, and up north. This year the fall really lasted didn't it? I just put a few small testers outside for year one with the new house, but I was beyond surprised that I got to harvest Oct 20 - Nov 1st. There were a few nights where it got down around 30 in the early morning, and all that did was bring out purples, they can handie very brief slight freezing temps......

Outdoors I'm more concerned with late season humidity and rain. I'm thinking about finding ways to cover them during October rainy days/nights......some sort of makeshift umbrellas.......and, provided it doesn't get super cold, and it can......it can easily get below 20 at night in October......but I'm thinking about one of those heat gun things, I don't know the technical name right now, they look like mini jet engines that blow heat out, if I can stretch out an extra 3, 4 weeks near the end by saving them during brief october freezes, then that could make a huge difference. Protect them from end of season rains, and give them some heat protection during end of season feeezes. If that can buy me an extra 3 weeks to mature........yep.

Last edited:
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I suppose, but why? If there were a benefit, people would do it. If the flavor (terpenes) is in the rice, it's not in the weed. I'm a flavor gal myself, I like my terps in my mouth where they belong. 🤣
Eh, it's labor intensive and the larger your op, the more of a PITA it is....

But on the small-scale level, maybe something like that would produce a different kind of cure......smoother smoke? I have no idea, and of course we wouldn't want to leech flavor out.......all of these types of things, either there's maybe something to it, or not. There are lots of things that are just ridiculous. Once in a while there might be something that's not so ridiculous......maybe. ;)

TSD

TSD

Yes I covered mine for a stretch of rain and a few times for frost. I used a scrog to keep shit even and lower. I bought a leaf blower and dried my girls every morning. I'll link my diary if you're interested, some of my antics are probably entertaining, and I always fuck a few things up lol. I actually had no mold pop up on my garden gals for the first time ever... my second slightly neglected location didn't fare as well and was chopped a bit early. My last lady made it till late October, which is rare. Gotta work for it here in the Northeast.

Top Bottom