Any HVAC guys in here can advise on low pressure switch

• Thread starter evu80
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
evu80

evu80

I went on a hiatus for the past 7 years and I'm slowly getting back into this line of work. I recently had to replace my compressor because it crapped out in the middle of a cycle. The new HVAC guy I'm working with recommends I remove it because it is preventing my unit from functioning at correctly, thus will shorten the lifespan. He believe it is partially the reason why the compressor went to shit. I cant remember the exact reasoning for installing a low pressure switch on my AC unit years ago, but I think it was to prevent my unit from freezing up at night or in cold weather.

This AC guy recommends using the AC unit without the pressure switch and says I have to accept compressors and motors will go out eventually. This doesnt sound like a very good idea. Last night my AC stopped working again but luckily I have a high temp shutoff to prevent my room from cooking. I'm suppose to see him later today to diagnose my issue. I ask if he has any clients that uses pressure switches and he says no.

Should I look for another AC guy?

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

The low pressure switch prevents your furnace from running if there is a blockage in the exhaust. It keeps you from being killed by carbon monoxide or a house fire incase your furnace exhaust gets frozen shut or blocked somehow. I jumpered one once and almost caught these people's trailer in fire...

dmw918

dmw918

low pressure switch shuts your a/c off in low pressure situation= loss of charge, low air flow inside, an low outdoor ambient conditions.
high pressure switch shuts your a/c off in a high pressure situation= dirty condenser coil, restriction, overcharge.
Both of these are considered safeties and should never be removed the underling problem should be found...

You are looking for a low ambient kit and there are several types to choose from cut in/cut out switch, fan cycling switch or ICM type. I would use what your NEW HVAC guy is familiar with and make sure he is not okay with destroying motors or compressor because that is not part of it.

the rrock

the rrock

I went on a hiatus for the past 7 years and I'm slowly getting back into this line of work. I recently had to replace my compressor because it crapped out in the middle of a cycle. The new HVAC guy I'm working with recommends I remove it because it is preventing my unit from functioning at correctly, thus will shorten the lifespan. He believe it is partially the reason why the compressor went to shit. I cant remember the exact reasoning for installing a low pressure switch on my AC unit years ago, but I think it was to prevent my unit from freezing up at night or in cold weather.

This AC guy recommends using the AC unit without the pressure switch and says I have to accept compressors and motors will go out eventually. This doesnt sound like a very good idea. Last night my AC stopped working again but luckily I have a high temp shutoff to prevent my room from cooking. I'm suppose to see him later today to diagnose my issue. I ask if he has any clients that uses pressure switches and he says no.

Should I look for another AC guy?
yeah find a new guy, listen to dmw19, ive been in HVAC industry for over 40 years and only a hack would recommend this

evu80

evu80

yeah find a new guy, listen to dmw19, ive been in HVAC industry for over 40 years and only a hack would recommend this

let you ask you this, if you were to run two bloom rooms with 10k of lights, would it make more sense to run one 5 ton ac unit on a zone controller alternating between each room or get two separate units one for each room. He recommends spending a boatload of money so each room has its own unit as a way to reduce electric consumption due to the heating/thermal effect ( hotter the unit gets the more energy it takes to power it ) and extend the longevity of the unit. I sense he is trying to milk me because all I've had is problems since working with him. We have been replacing parts non stop and the unit itself has only 1 year of actual wear and tear.

So the compressor blew up and I had him replace it ASAP. When starting up the unit after replacing the old compressor, the capacitor was weak and had to be replaced. The fan wasnt kicking into the proper speed and he told me he think the low ambient kit on the unit is preventing the unit from working properly. He told me to bypass it to get the unit to work correctly and it is not important to have it.

The zone controllers suddenly stopped working as well as the air handler right after replacing the compressor and capacitor. The zone controllers had to be bypassed in order for the handler to kick back on. Just one issue after another. I'm considering using another AC guy as soon as I find another reliable one. I just happen to use this guy when a few people recommended him.

evu80

evu80

low pressure switch shuts your a/c off in low pressure situation= loss of charge, low air flow inside, an low outdoor ambient conditions.
high pressure switch shuts your a/c off in a high pressure situation= dirty condenser coil, restriction, overcharge.
Both of these are considered safeties and should never be removed the underling problem should be found...

You are looking for a low ambient kit and there are several types to choose from cut in/cut out switch, fan cycling switch or ICM type. I would use what your NEW HVAC guy is familiar with and make sure he is not okay with destroying motors or compressor because that is not part of it.

This guy doesnt recommend using anything. I forgot what type of ambient kit I have on this unit. It has been 7 years and I just got back into it 3 months ago. In the process of looking for another knowledgeable AC guy that serves the community.

the rrock

the rrock

let you ask you this, if you were to run two bloom rooms with 10k of lights, would it make more sense to run one 5 ton ac unit on a zone controller alternating between each room or get two separate units one for each room. He recommends spending a boatload of money so each room has its own unit as a way to reduce electric consumption due to the heating/thermal effect ( hotter the unit gets the more energy it takes to power it ) and extend the longevity of the unit. I sense he is trying to milk me because all I've had is problems since working with him. We have been replacing parts non stop and the unit itself has only 1 year of actual wear and tear.

So the compressor blew up and I had him replace it ASAP. When starting up the unit after replacing the old compressor, the capacitor was weak and had to be replaced. The fan wasnt kicking into the proper speed and he told me he think the low ambient kit on the unit is preventing the unit from working properly. He told me to bypass it to get the unit to work correctly and it is not important to have it.

The zone controllers suddenly stopped working as well as the air handler right after replacing the compressor and capacitor. The zone controllers had to be bypassed in order for the handler to kick back on. Just one issue after another. I'm considering using another AC guy as soon as I find another reliable one. I just happen to use this guy when a few people recommended him.
Is it 10K in each room and what size rooms?, s. Why dont the guy troubleshoot the zone controls as its pretty basic stuff.

evu80

evu80

Is it 10K in each room and what size rooms?, s. Why dont the guy troubleshoot the zone controls as its pretty basic stuff.

it is 10k of lights in each room and the dimensions are 13x24 and 20x20
The guy couldnt figure out what is wrong with them. After an hour it was decided to by pass everything and keep the main room going until we decide to replace the entire zoning kit.

I have a new compressor less than 20 days old and for some reason twice within the past 5 days it has stopped working on me. The room gets hot because the condensing unit stops turning on for whatever reason. It would start up again later tomorrow and run just fine. I'm already seeking a second opinion but being out of the game for so long, I have to rely on other people to introduce a reliable, honest and knowledgeable HVAC guy

Blazinheavy

Blazinheavy

Possibly Charged with wrong type of Freon? Idk. I worked with a guy who used to mix gasses and just put in whatever Freon he had a tank of. Sometimes it worked great but sometimes units would crap out soon after.

Blazinheavy

Blazinheavy

Also it takes a really long time to purge all the moisture out / debris from old compressor failure and then pull a good vacuum on the lines. A good vacuum takes several hours of pumping. Talking microns not just hg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom