Any idea what is causing this?

• Thread starter 420budz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420budz

420budz

So I'm not quite sure what's going on here. They are spotting really bad. There are leaves that are completely drying out. The older leaves are the ones with all the spots. New growth seems ok until then they also spot. They're in fox farm ocean. I give them blue planet grow. Any help is appreciated.

Any idea what is causing this
Any idea what is causing this 2
Any idea what is causing this 3
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Check them very closely for insects. Could potentially be spider mite damage. But it also looks like you might have an overfeeding/lockout issue there too from the burnt tips and yellow leaf edges.

420budz

420budz

@Dirtbag I have been fighting off thrips. I had stopped giving them any nutes for a few months. I figured I had overloaded them so I went to straight water but just started the grow again cause I thought since just water fix the issue that maybe they didnt get enough nutes.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It looks like insect damage, although it could be just showing up from weeks ago. Spider mites are bastards that cause a ton of unseen damage for being so tiny... barely visible. A few weeks after killing them off, I noticed similar markings on some leaves, usually the older ones. It takes the leaves that long to respond to the damage. If not spider mites, some other type of bug. Here is a leaf that is mite free, but they had their way a month earlier and finally I had to remove it. Regarding the nutes… go easy on them until you get the issue worked out as FF soils are pretty hot already and any additions to it can easily cause nutrient overload and the issues that go with it. The damage can mimic some insect damage (such as dried leaf tips and necrotic leaves), so you could have a few things going on. The biggest issue looks like bugs to me, though.

20190613 122724
420budz

420budz

@Jimster I will try to take care of the bug damage first. I've never had to fight off mites. The thrips have been the biggest pain in the ass. I can keep them at bay but cant seem to completely get rid of them. Thank you so much for the info.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
@Jimster I will try to take care of the bug damage first. I've never had to fight off mites. The thrips have been the biggest pain in the ass. I can keep them at bay but cant seem to completely get rid of them. Thank you so much for the info.
I've never had to deal with thrips… I wouldn't know one if it bit e in the ass, but I wasn't familiar with spider mites either after growing for 35+ years. A buddy gave me a few clones that had a few mite clones on it as well... you see the damage. It wasn't even a bad infestation, although some plants were affected more than others. Malawi and Jack Herer weren't bothered, but some older strains were damaged. Good luck... Get Them Bugs!!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Thrips are easy to wipe out. 2 applications of monterrey garden insect spray with spinosad will nuke em. Spider mites on the other hand can be difficult.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I would begin feeding the plant properly to strengthen it while I simultaneously begin treating it for thrips and mites with a product designed to kill both; and you will need a second product to alternate applications with, and I would start this treatment quickly!

420budz

420budz

I've never had to deal with thrips… I wouldn't know one if it bit e in the ass, but I wasn't familiar with spider mites either after growing for 35+ years. A buddy gave me a few clones that had a few mite clones on it as well... you see the damage. It wasn't even a bad infestation, although some plants were affected more than others. Malawi and Jack Herer weren't bothered, but some older strains were damaged. Good luck... Get Them Bugs!!
Thank you for the info. I'll get on it asap.

420budz

420budz

I would begin feeding the plant properly to strengthen it while I simultaneously begin treating it for thrips and mites with a product designed to kill both; and you will need a second product to alternate applications with, and I would start this treatment quickly!
Thank you so much.

Top Bottom