Any ideas on most efficient plant count and bucket size in 5x5 tent for flowering?

• Thread starter CheeseDawg91
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

Hey i got a 5x5 secret jardin for flower in a small perpetual garden. Currently got 4 big plants in 10 gal smart pots in the flowering room. Its a bit overcrowded, and I am wondering if doing more plants in smaller buckets will end being more efficient use of this space. Any ideas on the most efficient amount of plants and bucket size for a 5x5 tent? I would admit i over vegged a little on a couple of these girls so the same setup with less veg time could be fine.
Some ideas I have are 4 plants in 7-10 gal, 6 plants in 5-7 gal, or 9 plants in 3-5 gal, or 16 plants in 1-2 gal. Any input would be great. Still got most of the way to go flowering these first 4 in this space, so I have time to decide how to setup the next round of plants for flowering. based on good advice or grow journals with similar tent space I find here. Thanks

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

Interesting.I forgot to mention I have a 4x4 for veg. I think its gonna be largely experimental/trial and error and I will learn as I go what is best for my setup. Ive got 10 +cannaventure and other strains from seed to choose from to start for my next grow. I plan on hatching large portions of packs of larrys lemon cookies, bubbas urkle cookies, cvog, electric larry land, diesel fire, orange dieselx
lv lemon skunk, maybe dawg jam 91 and for sure east coast cookie wreck. Hoping to find keepers from each one to use as mothers and then clones in the 4x4 and then flower in the my current 5x5 and a 2nd 5x5 I hope to add soon. Might have to choose between a couple or few of these to start firt realistically. Then I can do between 8-32 plants flowering total between 2 tents. While flowering the multiple phenos of females from each strain from seed itll be on the higher end of plant number in smaller buckets, and then once the winners are chosen and and the rest killed off, and the mother is cloned a bunch and flowered herself, I will go back to fewer in smaller buckets as well as figure out which strains grow similarly and put them into either flower tent 1 or 2 depending on the growth structure. When you do the 9+ ogs what size buckets ya using? Do ya think its best to do 1 strain per tent in flowering to maximize efficiency or is it ok to just do "similar" strains in each tent like indi dom in one sati dom in the other ? I wanna get the most flowers from each tent/each cycle but still use soil and organic nutes. I definitely prefer more than 2 strains at once, I like flavor and effect variety.

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

and i may or may not keep the loompa headband, mob boss, and ssh cuts. Depends how well the roots develop, this is my first real attempt at cloning. Aside from if they take root it depends on how well the plants they came off of perform the rest of this cycle and how dank they are. Im looking forward to finding my own favorite phenos from large packs of seeds.

The Terps

The Terps

That's to many strains for two tents IMO I like to run 1 strain per light to get the most even canopy that's going to to increase your yeild even canopy! I use 2 to 5 gal pots

S

Seed Buyer

I would say the most efficient use of space is all going to boil down to your specific genetic and phenos. I think 1 plant per square foot is the way to go. for most nidica/sativa hybrids. With the minimum veg time required you should be able to get 5 crops a year in that 5x5 tent. At 1 plant per square foot I shoot for 4-5 main terminals in 3 gal pots. Should be able to hit 2lbs with a 1000 watter

M

Murphy

I would say the most efficient use of space is all going to boil down to your specific genetic and phenos. I think 1 plant per square foot is the way to go. for most nidica/sativa hybrids. With the minimum veg time required you should be able to get 5 crops a year in that 5x5 tent. At 1 plant per square foot I shoot for 4-5 main terminals in 3 gal pots. Should be able to hit 2lbs with a 1000 watter
What do you mean by 4-5 main terminals,thanks

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

Awesome! closer to 1g a watt would be awesome. That would be 25 plants in 3 gal buckets? or would ya do 16 to give a little more room to fill out? I figure since terps and others Ive talked to agree yield is maximized with 1 strain per tent and even canopy. ill only start 2 packs of seeds to start, pick a winning pheno from each and clone the daylights out of said winning female to fill each 5x5 tent. If i cant swing only 1 strain at a time I sort based on stature. I wanna always have young vegging clones ready to replace the ones in flower.

burn4me

burn4me

Interesting because ive been pondering this same question. I use 5 gal smart pots. Depending on strain i get 4-5 decent sized bushes. I narrowed down what strain i want to crop out a few times and will be doing sog. 4 rows of 4 should have plenty of room. But not the right hood.
In short make sure you have a nice sized hood to spread even footprint across htentire area. What light you use?

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

right now i have an xtra sun 84 reflector, ballast, 1000w hps. The whole tent is illuminated pretty good but gets slightly dimmer in the last 1ft on each side of the tent. This reflector would be PERFECT for 4x4. I am thinking of getting another 5x5 tent and putting a rapot 8 in there and see the difference of reflectors in two 5x5 bloom tents , or getting another 4x4 tent, putting a raptor 8 in the 5x5 , and switch the extra sun 84 into 4x4 flowering room. I would love to pull 2 # each cycle from each 1000w so it might be necessary to stick with 5x5. Maybe t5 around the side of the 5x5 with the xtra sun.

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

right now got 4 monsters in 10 gal smart pots. Only issue really is i vegged a bit too much. I still could never picture anywhere near 2lb in this space unless it sog with lots of plants. 16 2 oz plants in 3 gal would be perfect. 12 in 5 gal possibly, 9 in 7 gal. could even do 25 in 2-3 gal based on 1 plant per sq ft.

burn4me

burn4me

I was checking out both the magnum and raptor. Cant decide which. I just know i need different hood for sog. It works fine for big plants. I just give em 1/4 spin a day.
So imo id say 2 tents 1 strain each 16- 3gal pots and right hood 2#s is reasonable. All in the knowledge of your strain also. You dial in a plant and shes yours forever. Good luck

burn4me

burn4me

right now got 4 monsters in 10 gal smart pots. Only issue really is i vegged a bit too much. I still could never picture anywhere near 2lb in this space unless it sog with lots of plants. 16 2 oz plants in 3 gal would be perfect. 12 in 5 gal possibly, 9 in 7 gal. could even do 25 in 2-3 gal based on 1 plant per sq ft.
Very true you could stuff it full but thats strain dependent. Also depends on your technique like topping lst etc. 16 is safe bet to still bush them some. You can always go up next round.

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

this round i lstd the shit outta 2 of the 4 and they were stopped before i got them as well established clones in 1gal buckets. the other 2 are from seed and single main stalk with some secondary branches. the candy kush and ssh are from seed. The ssh is actually in 5 gal not 10, and her structure and size shows me i could do 9-12 plants in that space if all in 5 gal. My favorite idea so far is yours to do 2 tents, 16 in each in 3 gal pots, a larger hood in my current 5x5 and when I get a second flowering tent I will possibly get a 4x4 so my xtra sun 84 is good coverage for the sog and I dont have to by 2 megas and have a normal and very nice reflector just laying around. I dont wanna just have an extra reflector laying around and the xtra 84 really barely fall short of lighting 5x5 proper so maybe putting here in a 4x4 with 16 plants? or just keeping the 84 in one 5x5 an putting a raptor or similar in a new 5x5 and just compare. Im sure the extra sun 84 will still do great just maybe not as great.

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

Got these strains in full seed packs to choose from which to start, all cannaventure. CVOG, Flaming Cookies, Larry's Lemon Cookies, Bubba's Urkle Cookies, East Coast Cookie Wreck, Electric Larry Land, Diesel Fire, Triple Nova, Dawg Jam 91, Las Vegas Purple Kush x Tenn. Purple Kush, sfv og x nl, and las vegas lemon skunk x orange diesel.
Hard to choose where to start if Im only doing 1 strain a tent lol has anyone grown out a lot of these and have favorites or any info on their sog performance?

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

this round i lstd the shit outta 2 of the 4 and they were stopped before i got them as well established clones in 1gal buckets. the other 2 are from seed and single main stalk with some secondary branches. the candy kush and ssh are from seed. The ssh is actually in 5 gal not 10, and her structure and size shows me i could do 9-12 plants in that space if all in 5 gal. My favorite idea so far is yours to do 2 tents, 16 in each in 3 gal pots, a larger hood in my current 5x5 and when I get a second flowering tent I will possibly get a 4x4 so my xtra sun 84 is good coverage for the sog and I dont have to by 2 megas and have a normal and very nice reflector just laying around. I dont wanna just have an extra reflector laying around and the xtra 84 really barely fall short of lighting 5x5 proper so maybe putting here in a 4x4 with 16 plants? or just keeping the 84 in one 5x5 an putting a raptor or similar in a new 5x5 and just compare. Im sure the extra sun 84 will still do great just maybe not as great.
topped... not stopped haha

JH420

JH420

Assuming you have a nice 8 weeker, even though most of the better strains are 10ish, that would be 5 crops x 8 weeks so 40 weeks, that leaves 12 weeks veg time for 5 crops, so that leaves you with 2.4 weeks veg time per crop. I can't see getting 2 lbs per with just 2.4 weeks veg with 1 plant per sq ft.

edit: well perhaps they could be vegged in another tent for awhile before, then transplanted into 3 gallons 2.4 weeks before flower in the 5 x 5...now that would be more feasible.

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

its perpetual. I have 5x5 for flower, also have a 4x4 for vegging . I was wondering those numbers as well and I think they are based off of having 1 veg tent and 1 flowering tent flowering doing blooms in in 8-10 week cycles? I am gonna add another 5x5 asap to harvest close to monthly. Veg for a couple weeks from clones or at least 4 from seed and keep moms too that ill flower out as needed. The hard part I think is figuring out the timing so that as soon as I harvest the 5x5 I have enough vegging plants ready to go into flowering, but not ones that are too big or too small. Came to the conclusion once I clear these current veg and flowering tents and start my new seed packs I will choose two strains as keepers with clones and moms and run 1 strain per 5x5 tent and 1000w light. Ill have to figure out the best way to cycle through clones and moms, when to make new moms and whatnot. Still seems doable, and I've got no specific need for 2lb each light, goal would be between 1-2 which is definately doable and somewhat standard

CheeseDawg91

CheeseDawg91

Assuming you have a nice 8 weeker, even though most of the better strains are 10ish, that would be 5 crops x 8 weeks so 40 weeks, that leaves 12 weeks veg time for 5 crops, so that leaves you with 2.4 weeks veg time per crop. I can't see getting 2 lbs per with just 2.4 weeks veg with 1 plant per sq ft.

edit: well perhaps they could be vegged in another tent for awhile before, then transplanted into 3 gallons 2.4 weeks before flower in the 5 x 5...now that would be more feasible.
Definately plan on letting strains finish around 10 weeks. Producing for my own flower, hash, bho, edible use so quality is no 1 priority really, just curious how to use my space most efficiently for my personal needs. The grow is between 2 tents for somewhat perpetual harvests at roughly every 10 weeks or 2 months. I would like to add another 1000w light and 5x5 tent to make harvests closer to monthly. goal is 1-2lb as dank as possible per 1000w light.

Top Bottom