Any ideas on what this leaf damage could be?

• Thread starter DevonD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DevonD

DevonD

Hey guys I’m a relatively new grower and am not the best at diagnosing my plants issues yet. I noticed some nute burn on the lower leaves a couple days ago which wasn’t too bad but now I’m noticing this weird shiny type of patching on only 1 set of leaves. The older leaves and newer leaves do not appear to have the same issues. Any ideas?

Any ideas on what this leaf damage could be
Any ideas on what this leaf damage could be 2
Any ideas on what this leaf damage could be 3
Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It doesn't look like spider mites, and the plants are too young to develop nutrient deficiencies. This will probably turn brown later on, but that is normal for leaf damage. Could you have spilled or splashed anything on it? I wouldn't be too concerned if it was limited to one leaf, but if it starts showing up on other leaves, I would take a 2nd and more detailed look.

DevonD

DevonD

It’s progressing surprisingly fast on this one leaf I’m thinking it may be some type of heat stress? This has only been a couple hours since I posted

DevonD

DevonD

Thanks for the reply Jimster, that’s exactly what I thought too young for deficiencies I guess we’ll see. Temp is at a constant 74/70 at night and humidity is around 50. Maybe the light is too close. As long as it doesn’t affect anything then fine with me

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So you have fans? How close is the light and what type of light is it?

Soil?
Nutrients and addatives?
Watering practices?
Transplanted recently?

DevonD

DevonD

So you have fans? How close is the light and what type of light is it?

Soil?
Nutrients and addatives?
Watering practices?
Transplanted recently?

Hey Aqua man,

1 exhaust fan up top and one little standard fan just blowing on them directly.

The light is an LED from MarsHydro the 600w I figured it would work fine for vegging

Soil I’m using is a mix of 60% FFOF and 40% Coco Loco

I started with some Roots Organics Terp Tea small dosage as well as a root supplement from General Organics. I’m never using that root supplement again because I think it burned my bottom leaves. Plus turns out it’s not even organic

Watering is sparingly I’d say about once a week

I transplanted a couple weeks ago and they’ve been taking off ever since. Made some rookie mistakes with a clay based soil so the roots were nonexistent

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey Aqua man,

1 exhaust fan up top and one little standard fan just blowing on them directly.

The light is an LED from MarsHydro the 600w I figured it would work fine for vegging

Soil I’m using is a mix of 60% FFOF and 40% Coco Loco

I started with some Roots Organics Terp Tea small dosage as well as a root supplement from General Organics. I’m never using that root supplement again because I think it burned my bottom leaves. Plus turns out it’s not even organic

Watering is sparingly I’d say about once a week

I transplanted a couple weeks ago and they’ve been taking off ever since. Made some rookie mistakes with a clay based soil so the roots were nonexistent
Both of those add P and K. Not good options. That soil is prefertilized and all you need to do is water for at least a few weeks. I would guess thats what's is/was causing your issues. You end up with a nutrient imbalance. I suggest you find a good all around fertilizer and use only that but only after the soil is depleted of nutrients. Most of these addatives will do you more harm than good.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Oh and move the fan so it's not blowing directly on them. Also back the light off to 24" above the plant tops

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Both of those add P and K. Not good options. That soil is prefertilized and all you need to do is water for at least a few weeks. I would guess thats what's is/was causing your issues. You end up with a nutrient imbalance. I suggest you find a good all around fertilizer and use only that but only after the soil is depleted of nutrients. Most of these addatives will do you more harm than good.
ditto on what @Aqua Man said. FF mixes are pretty strong, and when when cut with cocoloco, it can sometimes be overwhelming. The leaf damage probably occurred a little while back as sometimes damage can take 2 weeks to be visible. Adding more stuff can throw the entire balancing act off, and it can be maddening to try to fix lockouts and imbalances. I use a 20-20-20 general fert during vegging, but I also add some soil modifiers...ie Compost/manure, wood ashes, ad a small handfull of times release general purpose fertilizer... not sure of exact ratios but good for most stuff (but not 20-20-20... I save that for feedings). The compost mix supplies plenty of micronutrients and Iron, while the wood ashes provide some P & K, and the Promix already has some Calcium built in for buffering. I feed once every 12 days or so once they are growing fast.
The point of this? You don't benefit from using too many nutes, as plants don't need nearly what most people use and usually manufactures recommend 4X what more experienced growers tend to use. You also can avoid nutrient lockouts and conflicts.. You have made a good attempt and I hope it continues in a positive direction. As long as you keep learning, you will continue to get more valuable experience. There is a lot of conflicting info out there, but the hardest part of growing for newer growers is waiting long enough for them to finish flowering, and going easy on some of the powders and potions. Most are just fertilizers in differing ratios and sell for a lot more than they cost to make. Love the plants, not the propaganda!!😎

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

ditto on what @Aqua Man said. FF mixes are pretty strong, and when when cut with cocoloco, it can sometimes be overwhelming. The leaf damage probably occurred a little while back as sometimes damage can take 2 weeks to be visible. Adding more stuff can throw the entire balancing act off, and it can be maddening to try to fix lockouts and imbalances. I use a 20-20-20 general fert during vegging, but I also add some soil modifiers...ie Compost/manure, wood ashes, ad a small handfull of times release general purpose fertilizer... not sure of exact ratios but good for most stuff (but not 20-20-20... I save that for feedings). The compost mix supplies plenty of micronutrients and Iron, while the wood ashes provide some P & K, and the Promix already has some Calcium built in for buffering. I feed once every 12 days or so once they are growing fast.
The point of this? You don't benefit from using too many nutes, as plants don't need nearly what most people use and usually manufactures recommend 4X what more experienced growers tend to use. You also can avoid nutrient lockouts and conflicts.. You have made a good attempt and I hope it continues in a positive direction. As long as you keep learning, you will continue to get more valuable experience. There is a lot of conflicting info out there, but the hardest part of growing for newer growers is waiting long enough for them to finish flowering, and going easy on some of the powders and potions. Most are just fertilizers in differing ratios and sell for a lot more than they cost to make. Love the plants, not the propaganda!!😎
This ^^^ great advice

Latest posts

Top Bottom