Any Indoor Growers use Build-a-Soil?

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dothraki

Dothraki

After bad experience getting scammed by Mantis (1 part nutrient) I will be switching to something else and am looking into options. I grew in coco/perlite for the first grow. I really liked coco it‘s super easy but need to water a lot. The biggest concern for me is my tap water so I might just buy distilled water for the next grow.

From my understanding buildasoil is just top dressings of amendments on top of whatever soil mixture you use? Or do they send you the soil too? Anyone use it? Does it make sense for a small grow?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

After bad experience getting scammed by Mantis (1 part nutrient) I will be switching to something else and am looking into options. I grew in coco/perlite for the first grow. I really liked coco it‘s super easy but need to water a lot. The biggest concern for me is my tap water so I might just buy distilled water for the next grow.

From my understanding buildasoil is just top dressings of amendments on top of whatever soil mixture you use? Or do they send you the soil too? Anyone use it? Does it make sense for a small grow?
Have you checked their website? They have stuff to build your own soil, buy a pre-mixed soil, etc.

If you're growing from soil, the easiest thing to do is buy a reputable, pre-mixed soil that will supply nutrients for 4-6 weeks. If you keep transplanting until the final pot just before flowering, you often don't need nutes until the end.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I bought some craft blend and have used it a handful of times. It is a dry amendment but I don’t like how many chunks are in the product. I use roots organics terp tea (dry amendment line) and it’s so fine like sand and seems to break down faster making nutrients available for my plants.

In my opinion it’s one of the easiest ways to grow bc the plants feed when they want so you never burn your plants just basically add water. The beginning of flower I top dress the bloom and about half way thru a top dress the bloom boost and that’s it man just ride it till harvest. I get amazing results every time. I would highly recommend the terp tea line man it works great.

I should add you can brew this into your compost tea and “feed” the plants so if you see a deficiency you can fix it but I mostly do the top dress method and never burn my plants that way.
0C2D3956 DCD3 43C3 A395 73ABF3CF75D2

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Roots liquid ferts, however, are ridiculously complicated — I think there are 10+ bottles to fuck with, if you use their whole line. The teas sound like a better idea.

If you have access to their Lush soil mix, that could probably put your plants on auto-pilot for weeks. I haven't tried it, so I don't know this for certain.

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

You should check out their latest grow season on YouTube. This season they did a 3x3 living soil bed, 30 gallon pots, earthboxes, and 5 gallon pots. Like others have said, if you start with a good soil, you really don’t need to add much more.

ive Mimicked the build a soil way as much as possible in my own grow and loving the results👍

Dothraki

Dothraki

I ordered build a soils take n bake. It shipped. So... ill be able to say more in a few months
So is this kit everything? Do you just mix it all and water with plain water for the rest of the grow?

Anthem

Anthem

Here is how to make one yourself. But read the whole thing for do' s and not's

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I bought some craft blend and have used it a handful of times. It is a dry amendment but I don’t like how many chunks are in the product. I use roots organics terp tea (dry amendment line) and it’s so fine like sand and seems to break down faster making nutrients available for my plants.

In my opinion it’s one of the easiest ways to grow bc the plants feed when they want so you never burn your plants just basically add water. The beginning of flower I top dress the bloom and about half way thru a top dress the bloom boost and that’s it man just ride it till harvest. I get amazing results every time. I would highly recommend the terp tea line man it works great.

I should add you can brew this into your compost tea and “feed” the plants so if you see a deficiency you can fix it but I mostly do the top dress method and never burn my plants that way.
View attachment 1215399
Are you using much of the Terp Tea Grow? We've got some seedlings started. We're using Roots Organic Lush and the plan is to top dress the terp tea line from start to finish. However, the feed schedule posted on the Roots Organic website seems a bit aggressive. We'll be transplanting from solo cups to 1 gallon pots and then 5 gallon air pots. This will be our first run top dressing. What kind of feed schedule works best for you?

Not trying to hijack the thread. @Dothraki probably would want to know this too if he's considering Roots organic.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Are you using much of the Terp Tea Grow? We've got some seedlings started. We're using Roots Organic Lush and the plan is to top dress the terp tea line from start to finish. However, the feed schedule posted on the Roots Organic website seems a bit aggressive. We'll be transplanting from solo cups to 1 gallon pots and then 5 gallon air pots. This will be our first run top dressing. What kind of feed schedule works best for you?

Not trying to hijack the thread. @Dothraki probably would want to know this too if he's considering Roots organic.
So wait...terp tea is just for terpene enhancement? Wouldn’t you only use it towards the end of flower? I’m not up to speed yet lol wouldn’t the ideal setup be one mixed bag of everything you need going in every feeding? Or does that not exist because you might need to adjust NPK and macro nutes etc.

Anthem

Anthem

So wait...terp tea is just for terpene enhancement? Wouldn’t you only use it towards the end of flower? I’m not up to speed yet lol wouldn’t the ideal setup be one mixed bag of everything you need going in every feeding? Or does that not exist because you might need to adjust NPK and macro nutes etc.
Dude come on do some basic research so you can get an understand and not go down the Mantis Road Again. Start looking up NPK values for plants and stuff. You will be happier in the end than just asking questions

Anthem

Anthem

You really want a 1 part fert. look up mega crop. People have success with that one

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

You really want a 1 part fert. look up mega crop. People have success with that one
@Anthem I just went to their website. The smallest quantity they have available is 25lbs for about $111.00. I didn't look much further, only Amazon. I do like the NPK ratios, and it seems to be a solid product. I'm not sure how available it is right now in smaller quantities though ... like 2500g for about $33.00. Amazon doesn't have smaller packaging either.

@Dothraki Roots Organic Terp Teas are an organic fertilizer line by Aurora Innovations. It has 3 main parts., Grow, Bloom, and Bloom Booster plus some add-ons which are optional. It can be top dressed or brewed into a tea. It's worth researching further but so are some others. I'd pick what you want to grow in first. Then I would decide if you want to use nutrient salts or organic nutrients. Just starting out, there's a good reason to keep things simple and as much as I love Roots Organic product line, a one or two part fertilizer routine makes a lot sense. For my first legal grow ever, I used Fox Farm's Cultivation Nation 2 part dry salts. It grows great flower, larger yields than I've managed to pull so far with organics ... but taste seems much improved using organics.

Anthem

Anthem

@Anthem I just went to their website. The smallest quantity they have available is 25lbs for about $111.00. I didn't look much further, only Amazon. I do like the NPK ratios, and it seems to be a solid product. I'm not sure how available it is right now in smaller quantities though ... like 2500g for about $33.00. Amazon doesn't have smaller packaging either.

@Dothraki Roots Organic Terp Teas are an organic fertilizer line by Aurora Innovations. It has 3 main parts., Grow, Bloom, and Bloom Booster plus some add-ons which are optional. It can be top dressed or brewed into a tea. It's worth researching further but so are some others. I'd pick what you want to grow in first. Then I would decide if you want to use nutrient salts or organic nutrients. Just starting out, there's a good reason to keep things simple and as much as I love Roots Organic product line, a one or two part fertilizer routine makes a lot sense. For my first legal grow ever, I used Fox Farm's Cultivation Nation 2 part dry salts. It grows great flower, larger yields than I've managed to pull so far with organics ... but taste seems much improved using organics.
I have not used the product but I am pretty sure aquaman used the stuff. I was using Athena Pro and I am now using Jacks 321. The dry salt nutrient lines are much more economical than the liquid stuff. I know Jacks has 1 kilo bags but they are like 25 bucks and the 25 pound bags are like 65 bucks. So I just get the larger side.
You can also look at Master Blend I think it is also dirt cheap.

Anthem

Anthem

I have not used the product but I am pretty sure aquaman used the stuff. I was using Athena Pro and I am now using Jacks 321. The dry salt nutrient lines are much more economical than the liquid stuff. I know Jacks has 1 kilo bags but they are like 25 bucks and the 25 pound bags are like 65 bucks. So I just get the larger side.
You can also look at Master Blend I think it is also dirt cheap.
The only problem you might run into this one part lines is that they have to use carriers to get at least the Calcium Nitrate to dissolve after the Magnesium Sulfate has dissolved. These two will bind together if mixed in high concentrations. The thing about 1 part nutrient lines is they can sometimes be dirty. There is a product called Veg Bloom AB that is a 1 part and they use clay as a carrier. I mentioned that I switched to Jacks and I am using their seedling mix, it is a one part and has some rather large pieces that I assume are the carrier for what is listed above. I am curious how Mantis does it with a 1 part liquid but I think I know how just not the names. There is product by Grow More called No N Cal Mag and it does not contain Calcium Nitrate so I would assume Mantis is using these forms of calcium in their mix or something.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

The only problem you might run into this one part lines is that they have to use carriers to get at least the Calcium Nitrate to dissolve after the Magnesium Sulfate has dissolved. These two will bind together if mixed in high concentrations. The thing about 1 part nutrient lines is they can sometimes be dirty. There is a product called Veg Bloom AB that is a 1 part and they use clay as a carrier. I mentioned that I switched to Jacks and I am using their seedling mix, it is a one part and has some rather large pieces that I assume are the carrier for what is listed above. I am curious how Mantis does it with a 1 part liquid but I think I know how just not the names. There is product by Grow More called No N Cal Mag and it does not contain Calcium Nitrate so I would assume Mantis is using these forms of calcium in their mix or something.
I'm using for the first time when I transplant my seedlings, Roots Organic Elemental. It's source of calcium and magnesium comes from Dolomite, ground limestone, fish protein hydrolysate and gypsum. 2 teaspoons per gallon either as a top dress or mixed directly into your soil.

The plus, I may not have to use cal mag, or at least not as much. The minus, as with many things organic, it needs to be cooked into the soil in advance. It is a finely ground powder and has a strong smell like fish. It does contain a small amount of nitrogen .25%. I haven't done anything more than add it to my soil that I keep moist, waiting to be used.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Dude come on do some basic research so you can get an understand and not go down the Mantis Road Again. Start looking up NPK values for plants and stuff. You will be happier in the end than just asking questions
You’re assuming that I don’t know things that I do know. And what the hell do you use a forum for if it’s not to compile information? I asked nothing about NPK values...but if I did, obviously I either couldn’t find the answer or I’m gauging further info. But I didn’t. I asked about a specific product. Not sure why that bothers you. If there’s a simple answer for something (like if x product is a one part or not, or if they don’t exist) then that answer should be readily available to provide. The problem isn’t the science of growing, the problem is the market is flooded with 10,000 products that all do the same thing, some in different ways...and are managed in ways to raise profits by leaving out other contents that are also needed. Sometimes things need to be split to adjust or split to prevent chemical reaction but these companies have all gone way over that line of reasoning and just grabbing for money.

Dothraki

Dothraki

I don’t think I trust one parts anymore. It just doesn’t make sense to me. Maybe they can keep some stuff timed release I dunno but wouldn’t everyone use it if it worked?

Top Bottom