Any Indoor Growers use Build-a-Soil?

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dothraki

Dothraki

I have not used the product but I am pretty sure aquaman used the stuff. I was using Athena Pro and I am now using Jacks 321. The dry salt nutrient lines are much more economical than the liquid stuff. I know Jacks has 1 kilo bags but they are like 25 bucks and the 25 pound bags are like 65 bucks. So I just get the larger side.
You can also look at Master Blend I think it is also dirt cheap.
I was looking at Jacks 321 also. But my grows might be waaaay too small to warrant it lol

Dothraki

Dothraki

@Dothraki Roots Organic Terp Teas are an organic fertilizer line by Aurora Innovations. It has 3 main parts., Grow, Bloom, and Bloom Booster plus some add-ons which are optional. It can be top dressed or brewed into a tea. It's worth researching further but so are some others. I'd pick what you want to grow in first. Then I would decide if you want to use nutrient salts or organic nutrients. Just starting out, there's a good reason to keep things simple and as much as I love Roots Organic product line, a one or two part fertilizer routine makes a lot sense. For my first legal grow ever, I used Fox Farm's Cultivation Nation 2 part dry salts. It grows great flower, larger yields than I've managed to pull so far with organics ... but taste seems much improved using organics.
My biggest worry is my tap water. That’s why I can’t decide on anything, because most stuff needs DECENT tap water and mine is crazy hot and hard as hell.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I mixed up some roots organic Terp tea grow last year following the directions and stuck a nitrate and nitrite test strip in and got a 50 ppm nitrate reading which seemed pretty weak. But I am ignorant about such things so not sure if nitrogen is reflected in a nitrate test.Might want to look into that when you mix some up. May need to adjust the ratios.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Are you using much of the Terp Tea Grow? We've got some seedlings started. We're using Roots Organic Lush and the plan is to top dress the terp tea line from start to finish. However, the feed schedule posted on the Roots Organic website seems a bit aggressive. We'll be transplanting from solo cups to 1 gallon pots and then 5 gallon air pots. This will be our first run top dressing. What kind of feed schedule works best for you?

Not trying to hijack the thread. @Dothraki probably would want to know this too if he's considering Roots organic.
I don’t follow their schedule but I think there is kind of a universal way to apply dry amendments. It states to use 1 tsp per gallon of soil. You would have to do this every week to make that work. You can use a lot more without burning your plants. I personally do a tablespoon per gallon of soil and that covers about 30 days. Less is more sometimes tho like for example if you up pot into some good soil before flower I wouldn’t add 5 tablespoons for 5 gallons of soil. I would probably do 3 tablespoons but if your plant is gonna veg for awhile still in the final pot than do 4-5 at the start of flower. It takes about 5-7 days for the top dress to kick in so keep that in mind and plan ahead as these aren’t synthetic nutes that are immediately available. I then top dress again mid flower with another 4-5 tablespoons of the bloom booster and that’s it! Ride it out till harvest or if you wanna top dress a little bit more or do a compost/nutrient tea that works too. As for the grow you won’t use that one as much since most of the time you’re up potting into fresh soil. I always use it before transplant and I shit you not I’ll add 1/2 tea spoon to a 5inx5in square pot and on day 5 you see the color and health explode and right when it hits I transplant. I’m sorry guys I’m not the best at at explaining sometimes and I’m still at work so if you have anymore questions let me know I’m happy to answer them. This method is similar to mr Canuck on YouTube but he uses a different line.

-table spoon per gal of soil (sometimes a bit less depending on when you transplanted)
-top dress bloom at the beginning of flower
-top dress bloom booster mid flower
-be an A1 grower with little effort lol

Dothraki

Dothraki

I don’t follow their schedule but I think there is kind of a universal way to apply dry amendments. It states to use 1 tsp per gallon of soil. You would have to do this every week to make that work. You can use a lot more without burning your plants. I personally do a tablespoon per gallon of soil and that covers about 30 days. Less is more sometimes tho like for example if you up pot into some good soil before flower I wouldn’t add 5 tablespoons for 5 gallons of soil. I would probably do 3 tablespoons but if your plant is gonna veg for awhile still in the final pot than do 4-5 at the start of flower. It takes about 5-7 days for the top dress to kick in so keep that in mind and plan ahead as these aren’t synthetic nutes that are immediately available. I then top dress again mid flower with another 4-5 tablespoons of the bloom booster and that’s it! Ride it out till harvest or if you wanna top dress a little bit more or do a compost/nutrient tea that works too. As for the grow you won’t use that one as much since most of the time you’re up potting into fresh soil. I always use it before transplant and I shit you not I’ll add 1/2 tea spoon to a 5inx5in square pot and on day 5 you see the color and health explode and right when it hits I transplant. I’m sorry guys I’m not the best at at explaining sometimes and I’m still at work so if you have anymore questions let me know I’m happy to answer them. This method is similar to mr Canuck on YouTube but he uses a different line.

-table spoon per gal of soil (sometimes a bit less depending on when you transplanted)
-top dress bloom at the beginning of flower
-top dress bloom booster mid flower
-be an A1 grower with little effort lol
I think my buddy does the Mr. Canuck grow style. He uses Happy Frog mixed with FFOF then top dresses with Earth Dust and I think that’s it.

Dothraki

Dothraki

I mixed up some roots organic Terp tea grow last year following the directions and stuck a nitrate and nitrite test strip in and got a 50 ppm nitrate reading which seemed pretty weak. But I am ignorant about such things so not sure if nitrogen is reflected in a nitrate test.Might want to look into that when you mix some up. May need to adjust the ratios.
I’m not sure if it’s similar to NFTG (I was looking at that too) but you need to SERIOUSLY shake the HELL out of some of those before using or it’ll all stay sludgy at the bottom and watery up top.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I’m not sure if it’s similar to NFTG (I was looking at that too) but you need to SERIOUSLY shake the HELL out of some of those before using or it’ll all stay sludgy at the bottom and watery up top.
He probably mixed it with water as the terp tea line is a dry amendment line (powder form). For liquid feeds they suggest 1 tsp to 1 tbsp per gallon of water but have only liquid fed a few times.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I was mixing up 5 gallons with an air stone and stir the hell out of it before I took a sample. Then I added, no don’t jump all over me, some miracle grow organic fertilizer according to its instructions and the reading jumped up to six or 700 ppm. The strips only go up to 500. Low budget. Now in the process of whipping up 150 gallons of soil using Humboldt locals recipe from an old thread. Just reusing a couple years worth of ocean forest and such. The difference in Ppm readings just led me to question the strength of the tea.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I was mixing up 5 gallons with an air stone and stir the hell out of it before I took a sample. Then I added, no don’t jump all over me, some miracle grow organic fertilizer according to its instructions and the reading jumped up to six or 700 ppm. The strips only go up to 500. Low budget. Now in the process of whipping up 150 gallons of soil using Humboldt locals recipe from an old thread. Just reusing a couple years worth of ocean forest and such. The difference in Ppm readings just led me to question the strength of the tea.
He’s 5 plants I top dressed with some grow and they are ready for transplant! Also a picture of the punch cake from elev8 finishing out. Anyone I’ve seen use it has really good results so idk what that test strip said but I love this stuff!
19E9378C 1ED1 49E9 95F8 112556B9BFC1
3EFD890F 4EAA 4F06 99F6 E1FDE29845F2

F

FadawayFarms

After bad experience getting scammed by Mantis (1 part nutrient) I will be switching to something else and am looking into options. I grew in coco/perlite for the first grow. I really liked coco it‘s super easy but need to water a lot. The biggest concern for me is my tap water so I might just buy distilled water for the next grow.

From my understanding buildasoil is just top dressings of amendments on top of whatever soil mixture you use? Or do they send you the soil too? Anyone use it? Does it make sense for a small grow?
I was wondering the same thing. But you can do everything they do they have ingredients listed

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
He’s 5 plants I top dressed with some grow and they are ready for transplant! Also a picture of the punch cake from elev8 finishing out. Anyone I’ve seen use it has really good results so idk what that test strip said but I love this stuff!View attachment 1215604View attachment 1215603
Oh I agree that it is good stuff. I would think top dressing you are getting a lot more concentrated feeding and all I’m saying is anyone using the tea might wanna look into upping the amount they put in. I plan on using it this year. But outdoors. But I wouldn’t think there is that much of a difference in soil between in and out. Just two cents.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Oh I agree that it is good stuff. I would think top dressing you are getting a lot more concentrated feeding and all I’m saying is anyone using the tea might wanna look into upping the amount they put in. I plan on using it this year. But outdoors. But I wouldn’t think there is that much of a difference in soil between in and out. Just two cents.
Ohhh ok mybad ya I don’t liquid feed much so I can’t really comment on that but as a top dress it’s great stuff.

Dustytrails

Dustytrails

I recently invested in BuildASoil Nutes and pest control products for my new Coir grow.

I'd love to use their soils from everything I've seen and heard, but I was already stocked at home with 4 bags of Coco-Loco Coir. Also while they're products are fairly priced, shipping for me was more than the product. For sure my next indoor grow will be BuildASoil soils 😉

Top Bottom