Any mushroom growers use leftover mushroom substrate

• Thread starter SlothofDoom
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SlothofDoom

SlothofDoom

I've searched for info on mushroom compost and most was referring to large mushroom farms. I grow mushrooms and use coco and coffee ground. The grain I use is popcorn on some grows and rye on the others. I have 2 shoebox totes that I have gotten 1 flush from and was wondering if I can break up and add to my soil. The soil is just happy frog with perlite added. Any other personal mushroom growers do this?

MorganLee

MorganLee

Mushroom compost can often be bought cheaply in bulk for use as a soil conditioner or mulch. However, it often contains some peat which is no longer recommended for horticultural use due to the damage to peatland ecosystems which contribute to climate change. It is usually available as ‘spent’ mushroom compost, referring to the fact it is the compost left over from mushroom farming. When using mushroom compost, remove any large pieces of chalk that are visible, and use it in moderation, alternating with well-rotted manure or garden compost, these being only slightly alkaline or neutral in their reaction. This avoids excessive build up of chalk in the soil. More information you can find here https://qitraditions.com/collections/mushrooms/products/red-reishi.

Top Bottom