Any trellis advice much appreciated

• Thread starter PerfecTrader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perrin6363

Perrin6363

So I am 53 days from sprout into my 1st grow. 2 Chem Cookies and 2 White Widows. I did many things wrong that I will correct next grow but I am where I am for now. All but 1 plant has been topped 3 times(the runt WW just 2 times cause she a sissy) over the 4th node and like a newb I tried to LST by pulling mains to one side of 3g fabrics. This brings me to 1 of 2 things I am stuck with and could use some help on. So I essentially now have 8 tops per plant that are outside of the pots with 1st-3rd branches spread out. Nothing is tied down any longer except the mains on the 2 Chems. If I put up a scrog net and essentially lock myself into the way the plants are placed for flower, how do I best orient the plants for best use of space and light? For instance, 1 way could be with all the tops of each plant closest to each other in the center of the tent or the opposite would be they are all in the corners of the tent. So in a nutshell that is 1 question, how to "situate" them when taking into consideration the mains for each plant were trained over the edge of the pots.
Second question revolves around whether I've over done it so to speak and kept the plants too low for no reason. My light presents no restriction in height and my aim with topping and lst has been to increase yield but now I'm at where I think it is time to start considering a trellis net yet not a single plant is even a foot tall and 2 are barely 10". Should I even use a trellis net? I'm leaning that I for sure should use them considering I trained the mains to one side and worry about maybe the weight snapping stems but I don't know and that is why I'm asking. If I put it up now it will make it pretty damn difficult to get under and hand water like I do. Would be miserable actually. And sheesh how the heck does one lollipop something like mine when the time comes when most I've seen would take my entire plants out in how high they do it. Any thoughts much appreciated
Dang bro I think we're kindred spirits. I'm not through with my first grow yet, pretty close though! I don't hate the trellis net, but I don't think I'll use it next time. I don't like not being able to move them or pick them or spin them. Plus watering. I went to an auto parts store and bought a fluid transfer pump. One hose goes in the jug of water and the other I hold while I pump. I like it. If you go that route get a nicer one. The price would be 25$ vs $15 for a cheap one. Shit I just remembered you had 4 plants. It takes me about 4-5 min to transfer 1.5 gal from jugs to 2 plants. 2 plants. You may not want to pump for 10 minutes. I bet they make one with a motor. I thought about taking the net down but it was keeping the buds apart some and I figured it will help with support when the buds develop. It actually has, but if it wasn't there I would've just supported them with something else. Good luck man, your plants look awesome, and healthy. I get what you're saying, but look at it this way, you had a goal and you made it happen. You had great control over what you wanted your plant to do, you just realized later you might not have wanted what you thought you wanted.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Dang bro I think we're kindred spirits. I'm not through with my first grow yet, pretty close though! I don't hate the trellis net, but I don't think I'll use it next time. I don't like not being able to move them or pick them or spin them. Plus watering. I went to an auto parts store and bought a fluid transfer pump. One hose goes in the jug of water and the other I hold while I pump. I like it. If you go that route get a nicer one. The price would be 25$ vs $15 for a cheap one. Shit I just remembered you had 4 plants. It takes me about 4-5 min to transfer 1.5 gal from jugs to 2 plants. 2 plants. You may not want to pump for 10 minutes. I bet they make one with a motor. I thought about taking the net down but it was keeping the buds apart some and I figured it will help with support when the buds develop. It actually has, but if it wasn't there I would've just supported them with something else. Good luck man, your plants look awesome, and healthy. I get what you're saying, but look at it this way, you had a goal and you made it happen. You had great control over what you wanted your plant to do, you just realized later you might not have wanted what you thought you wanted.
hey hey bud sorry for the delay. Just peeped your grow and it sure don't look like no 1st timer to me. Great job so far. Yeah thee ole trellis debacle haha. Took me the whole grow and learning from others here to really realize how I was using it wrong and how it appears so many others do to. Mine ended up just being used for support I really didn't need and was kinda more hassle than was worth like you said. About to start 2nd grow and will surely utilize differently. Instead of a flexible trellis, I will make a more rigid screen using probably window screen spline and pvc. At the right time in veg, I will add screen and drop it pretty low and bend all branches horizontally and force them to grow that way. For a while I won't let anything grow vertically and try to "spider" the branches out to fill the tent. Going to be running just 2 plants in living soil vs 4 in coco so will see how it compares. By forcing the plants to not grow vertically until given the cue, it will provide the best chance for the most even vertical flower growth. They will likely finish more on time together and this should create a pretty even canopy.
Yeah I loved being able to move the plants around but I do think I will need to much less with soil. I even have a killer lazy susan that fits 5g and probably 7s but only have 1. As for watering jugs, I now have way too many and used 2g garden sprayers in coco run but will likely use more of a watering can for soil. Sprayer will blow the soil out of the pots or take hours if turn down low enough that it doesn't.
Thanks for the props on 1st grow. The final product did turn out much better than I was giving it credit for. This completely amps me up for this soil run because I keep thinking if my 1st grow turned out like it did with the 328ish rookie mistakes I made, then this run will likely be up there with the cleanest and best smoke I have ever had. I am following you now so will be chatting again sooner than later. Keep easy bro and stay strong

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

hey hey bud sorry for the delay. Just peeped your grow and it sure don't look like no 1st timer to me. Great job so far. Yeah thee ole trellis debacle haha. Took me the whole grow and learning from others here to really realize how I was using it wrong and how it appears so many others do to. Mine ended up just being used for support I really didn't need and was kinda more hassle than was worth like you said. About to start 2nd grow and will surely utilize differently. Instead of a flexible trellis, I will make a more rigid screen using probably window screen spline and pvc. At the right time in veg, I will add screen and drop it pretty low and bend all branches horizontally and force them to grow that way. For a while I won't let anything grow vertically and try to "spider" the branches out to fill the tent. Going to be running just 2 plants in living soil vs 4 in coco so will see how it compares. By forcing the plants to not grow vertically until given the cue, it will provide the best chance for the most even vertical flower growth. They will likely finish more on time together and this should create a pretty even canopy.
Yeah I loved being able to move the plants around but I do think I will need to much less with soil. I even have a killer lazy susan that fits 5g and probably 7s but only have 1. As for watering jugs, I now have way too many and used 2g garden sprayers in coco run but will likely use more of a watering can for soil. Sprayer will blow the soil out of the pots or take hours if turn down low enough that it doesn't.
Thanks for the props on 1st grow. The final product did turn out much better than I was giving it credit for. This completely amps me up for this soil run because I keep thinking if my 1st grow turned out like it did with the 328ish rookie mistakes I made, then this run will likely be up there with the cleanest and best smoke I have ever had. I am following you now so will be chatting again sooner than later. Keep easy bro and stay strong
Dude that was the best explanation of a trellis net I've heard. So you basically push the net over them bending them horizontally. Then as they grow they'll try to grow up. You'll then keep redirecting it under? How long will you continue to force it to grow horizontally? I'm very interested in this. Something just clicked when you were explaining that I wanna make sure I fully understand. At what point will you let them start to grow up? When you feel they're all evenly spread?

GrimReffer

GrimReffer

Dude that was the best explanation of a trellis net I've heard. So you basically push the net over them bending them horizontally. Then as they grow they'll try to grow up. You'll then keep redirecting it under? How long will you continue to force it to grow horizontally? I'm very interested in this. Something just clicked when you were explaining that I wanna make sure I fully understand. At what point will you let them start to grow up? When you feel they're all evenly spread?
@PerfecTrader is dead on about using a rigid net and not the stretchy kind. So many people make that mistake and becomes support more than anything. I do prefer to let the plants grow into the screen rather than waiting to put the screen on later in veg. This allows the plant to start immediately start growing horizontally. The closer the screen is to your plants the less veg time you need just remember to have enough room to water, I like 12-18 inches from top of the pot if hand watering. You want to let the plants grow up through the screen and then tuck under the screen then repeat, do not weave into screen this makes harvest suck. I continue to tuck for the first 7-14 days after flipping the light to 12/12, it really depends on the stretch of the strain as to when to stop tucking. I flip when the screen is about 60-70% full. I like 2x2 inch squares with string so I can manipulate the squares however I want and move them when tucking also I just cut the string at harvest.
1869867D ADCF 495B 818F DD611BD9A56C

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

hah I was responding and @GrimReffer just said it way better than I can. Nobody has a wicked DIY screen like that without having good reason. That screen is exactly what I intend to do but just with 3/4" pvc in a 4x4 with screen spline. How far spaced did you make those squares? Is 3x3 pretty optimal or would you recommend even smaller?

GrimReffer

GrimReffer

hah I was responding and @GrimReffer just said it way better than I can. Nobody has a wicked DIY screen like that without having good reason. That screen is exactly what I intend to do but just with 3/4" pvc in a 4x4 with screen spline. How far spaced did you make those squares? Is 3x3 pretty optimal or would you recommend even smaller?
I run 2x2 inch but 3x3 is a good size as well. I personally have never ran bigger than 3x3. The 2x2 squares is a little more tucking but I like the end results. I shoot for a cola in each square or as close as possible.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

I run 2x2 inch but 3x3 is a good size as well. I personally have never ran bigger than 3x3. The 2x2 squares is a little more tucking but I like the end results. I shoot for a cola in each square or as close as possible.
Thanks much and that is fkin awesome and exactly what I was hoping to hear. Gonna follow ya so can watch that puppy in action and learn more from ya

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

@PerfecTrader is dead on about using a rigid net and not the stretchy kind. So many people make that mistake and becomes support more than anything. I do prefer to let the plants grow into the screen rather than waiting to put the screen on later in veg. This allows the plant to start immediately start growing horizontally. The closer the screen is to your plants the less veg time you need just remember to have enough room to water, I like 12-18 inches from top of the pot if hand watering. You want to let the plants grow up through the screen and then tuck under the screen then repeat, do not weave into screen this makes harvest suck. I continue to tuck for the first 7-14 days after flipping the light to 12/12, it really depends on the stretch of the strain as to when to stop tucking. I flip when the screen is about 60-70% full. I like 2x2 inch squares with string so I can manipulate the squares however I want and move them when tucking also I just cut the string at harvest.View attachment 1252331
Super helpful, thanks bro.

Top Bottom