Any tricks to getting more females out of regular seeds?

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
juggernaut

juggernaut

Other than buying feminized seeds what can you do to get more females?

The age old question.

I’ve never done more than to just put them in either rockwool. Perlite and vermiculite or soil and cross my fingers.

Lol

I’ve got 12 Oishii seeds that I bought from Archive seeds in USA and I forgot about the conversion. I had light speed as well.

It was around $400. Then it was around $600 total on my credit card. I looked and said wtf!!!!!!! I contacted Archive seeds.
I said what’s going on?
You charged me $600 when the seeds were only $400. Sent him a picture.

He said he’d look into it that it didn’t make sense.

About 2 hours b later it hit.

I apologized.

I got fucked by forgetting the exchange rate and I made an ass of myself…lol

The never ending game of weed

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Actually, there is some bro science out there that I tried. I heard this from an old California grower on a now-defunct grow site, like this one, so I thought I'd give it a try. Also, maleness and femaleness in cannabis seems to be not quite set in stone, sometimes.

He said to do two things. One is to keep the seedlings no warmer than about 70 F (21 C) for the first week after they break the surface of the soil. The second is to supply a source of ethylene, like a ripe apple or banana.

I tried various combinations of these treatments over 4 grows, and this is what happened:

For two grows I kept temperatures low and provided an ethylene source. I got about 60% females total, but some strains were more like 80%, while a Bubba Kush cross was only 40%.

For one grow I supplied the ethylene source, but the temps were not kept low. It was about 80 F. I had about 40-45% females.

For my current grow, I kept temperatures low and did not provide an ethylene source, and got 60% females.

I still suspect all of this is bro-science, even though what I have seen points to cool seedling temperatures having an influence. I think a much larger experiment would show that none of this has an influence.

juggernaut

juggernaut

12 reg seeds Oishii
6 feminized light speed
Oishii mean’s delicious in Japanese
Light speed was one of the top 5 strains I’ve grown. 30 years growing.

Looking forward to justifying the money spent. Archive seeds rock but pricey

Anthem

Anthem

Other than buying feminized seeds what can you do to get more females?

The age old question.

I’ve never done more than to just put them in either rockwool. Perlite and vermiculite or soil and cross my fingers.

Lol

I’ve got 12 Oishii seeds that I bought from Archive seeds in USA and I forgot about the conversion. I had light speed as well.

It was around $400. Then it was around $600 total on my credit card. I looked and said wtf!!!!!!! I contacted Archive seeds.
I said what’s going on?
You charged me $600 when the seeds were only $400. Sent him a picture.

He said he’d look into it that it didn’t make sense.

About 2 hours b later it hit.

I apologized.

I got fucked by forgetting the exchange rate and I made an ass of myself…lol

The never ending game of weed
Yes there is a way to insure you get more females. Just put all your seeds in dry ice for a day. 24 hours exactly no longer than that, it has to be exactly 24 hours to work. It will change all but about 5 percent to female. Sounds like pretty good bro science hey? It is just that, no different than anything else on earth. Once the DNA has sequenced the sex of the plant is set so I am just commenting on something I find hard to believe was even asked!!!

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Actually, there is some bro science out there that I tried. I heard this from an old California grower on a now-defunct grow site, like this one, so I thought I'd give it a try. Also, maleness and femaleness in cannabis seems to be not quite set in stone, sometimes.

He said to do two things. One is to keep the seedlings no warmer than about 70 F (21 C) for the first week after they break the surface of the soil. The second is to supply a source of ethylene, like a ripe apple or banana.

I tried various combinations of these treatments over 4 grows, and this is what happened:

For two grows I kept temperatures low and provided an ethylene source. I got about 60% females total, but some strains were more like 80%, while a Bubba Kush cross was only 40%.

For one grow I supplied the ethylene source, but the temps were not kept low. It was about 80 F. I had about 40-45% females.

For my current grow, I kept temperatures low and did not provide an ethylene source, and got 60% females.

I still suspect all of this is bro-science, even though what I have seen points to cool seedling temperatures having an influence. I think a much larger experiment would show that none of this has an influence.
That's really cool you tried that.

Clearly these plants can go either way look at the number of hermis we see on this forum and that you can induce them with silver.

I'd be willing to bet there is a hormonal system that could be hacked into given the proper knowledge and inputs. Perhaps someone like Monsanto already has one. It would be a cool thing to figure out.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yes there is a way to insure you get more females. Just put all your seeds in dry ice for a day. 24 hours exactly no longer than that, it has to be exactly 24 hours to work. It will change all but about 5 percent to female. Sounds like pretty good bro science hey? It is just that, no different than anything else on earth. Once the DNA has sequenced the sex of the plant is set so I am just commenting on something I find hard to believe was even asked!!!
At what point does a female plant with balls and bananas become a dude?

If I was to convert a female to 100% boy parts, you couldn't really say the sex of the plant was all in the dna, could you?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

12 reg seeds Oishii
6 feminized light speed
Oishii mean’s delicious in Japanese
Light speed was one of the top 5 strains I’ve grown. 30 years growing.

Looking forward to justifying the money spent. Archive seeds rock but pricey
At those prices you better back up those genetics! You got a plan in place to make clones / moms or whatever?

On the regs, you can clone them really young and flower the clones to figure out what is what sooner. Then make your best female a mom, and take as many clones as you want and you are in business now and later. You will loose a bit of time, but the effect is to make as many female plants as you want of the best pheno. Almost as good as duplicating seeds.

Anthem

Anthem

At what point does a female plant with balls and bananas become a dude?

If I was to convert a female to 100% boy parts, you couldn't really say the sex of the plant was all in the dna, could you?
If the plant hermits as a result of genetics it is because of the DNA. DNA can get damaged or there can be splicing issues. This even occurs in humans. I only know this because a person I worked with had a child with Down syndrome. Down syndrome is caused by an extra pair of chromosomes. Plant DNA can get damaged as well. I believe the sex of the plant is set once the chromosome pair up.

TSD

TSD

Probably bro science, but maybe not... an alligator's sex is determined by what temperature the eggs are incubated at... my brain's store of useless knowledge didn't make note of the exact temps, but I believe lower temps make females, while higher temps make males... so it's not totally off the wall that it could happen in seedlings.

TSD

TSD

Not sure I'd want to risk pissing my babies off with too low temps, but I guess 70 isn't horrible.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

If the plant hermits as a result of genetics it is because of the DNA. DNA can get damaged or there can be splicing issues. This even occurs in humans. I only know this because a person I worked with had a child with Down syndrome. Down syndrome is caused by an extra pair of chromosomes. Plant DNA can get damaged as well. I believe the sex of the plant is set once the chromosome pair up.
What if not dna?

We can override dna anytime we want. In both directions. Silver to make males and whatever this is to male males into females.

I’m guessing it can be done at the seedling level too but I don’t know how. Those methods I mentioned are for the beginning of flower.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

While there's no denying genetics, is there a reason to believe maleness and femaleness in cannabis is black and white, as it usually is with mammals? I don't think so.

When I determine which plants are male, I base it 100% on morphology. I don't know if I'm seeing a male flower on a "female" plant, similar to a female that was sprayed with silver thiosulfate. Obviously environmental factors influence flower morphology.

This could be an evolutionary feature. The plant's interest is getting its genes out to a new generation. Perhaps evolution has stumbled onto the observation that a warm spring means a hot, dry growing season, where many female plants will not survive to full seed production. In that case, the best chance of getting those genes out there in the world is sending them out as airborne pollen.

Bottom line is that when I see a male, I'm not checking DNA, I'm only looking at morphology.

Well anyway, that's the reason I didn't totally blow off the notion of influencing plant sex with environmental factors. All it would take to prove it is a large experiment.

Fromunda506

Fromunda506

There is a universal maxim at play. If you want more females, have limited space. The universe will make sure you have more than you can house. If you want more males, give yourself plenty of room. The universe will help you struggle to fill it. Not sure if this will work for you. Depends on your relationship with the universe. Don’t think it likes me that much! Lol

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

While there's no denying genetics, is there a reason to believe maleness and femaleness in cannabis is black and white, as it usually is with mammals? I don't think so.

When I determine which plants are male, I base it 100% on morphology. I don't know if I'm seeing a male flower on a "female" plant, similar to a female that was sprayed with silver thiosulfate. Obviously environmental factors influence flower morphology.

This could be an evolutionary feature. The plant's interest is getting its genes out to a new generation. Perhaps evolution has stumbled onto the observation that a warm spring means a hot, dry growing season, where many female plants will not survive to full seed production. In that case, the best chance of getting those genes out there in the world is sending them out as airborne pollen.

Bottom line is that when I see a male, I'm not checking DNA, I'm only looking at morphology.

Well anyway, that's the reason I didn't totally blow off the notion of influencing plant sex with environmental factors. All it would take to prove it is a large experiment.
I 100% agree with this that if a plant’s sex can change based on environmental stresses dna is merely a suggestion. A plan to follow in a good growing season.

The corollary would be that the dna of the plant is coded to allow for switching gender based on external stimuli.

Fromunda506

Fromunda506

Perhaps it’s dna permits it to change sex in response to environmental factors, a system which we hack intentionally (and on purpose) routinely. Lots of reptiles lay eggs that develop into male vs female based upon the temp of the nest. They’re dna is “set”, but it also permits certain cells at certain stages of development to differentiate into male or female. It strikes me as totally plausible and probably likely that cannabis dna permits such differentiation at an early stage in response to some unknown variable(s). Rodelization seems an example of this. Same with reversals. Just at a different phase of life. The idea of exposing it to different stimuli is not necessarily to “change” it’s dna, but to stimulate a genetic tendency that we likely do not fully understand. Until someone works it out, I just assume that if I want more females, I’ll get more males and vice versa

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I think all things being equal, there tend to be more females than males. Stressing them in many ways might lead to more males just like it can lead to more hermaphrodites. When their environment is good......plenty of light, water, nutrients.....maybe even space, root space.....it might lead to more females.

With some experience we can tend to be able to tell which ones will be male or female by the way they grow and look, even before pre-flowers......especially if we let them get bigger, and let them keep more of their natural shape and size, although by the time we let them get larger, pre-flowers tend to show more anyway. But it does seem like the taller, bigger, thicker stemmed ones that don't branch as much tend to be males.

Top Bottom