Anybody taking beta blockers??

• Thread starter l0g1c4l
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

l0g1c4l

Hey farmers, hope everyones gardens are doing well! I was just wondering if anyone else is on beta blockers and is using marijuana??

I unfortunately take a huge dose of metoprolol (a beta blocker), and originally it was really rough on my stomach and caused me some serious heartburn, borderline ulsers. I knew that marijuana could ease stomach issues and had smoked a bit when I was younger. So long story short the smoking really helped and for me got rid of the ill effects of the beta blocker. So I dont have to take any other chemical meds for my stomach.

So I'm curious if anyone else has had ill effects from marijuana and beta blockers. Or if you have any questions for me I'd be happy to give you my two cents!

Happy farming

F

FoCo

I'd like to hear more about your situation. Are you a performer of some kind? The only people I've ever heard of who take those are people with awful stage fright.

Or do you take them for everyday anxiety?

Beta blockers really interest me because I have some fucked up social anxiety as well as an interest in rapping at open mic nights around town(I can freestyle for days when I'm alone, but put an audience in front of me and I freeze up with nerves).

Are they hard to get prescribed?

DarwinsMunky

DarwinsMunky

beta blockers are prescribed primarily for those with heart conditions. However, those heart conditions can also cause a great deal of anxiety because of the physical sensations associated with, lets say, mitral valve prolapse. They are non narcotic and can be prescribed by any family doctor. They basically prevent certain excitable signals from being received. They are also prescribed for localized tremors and a couple other things. Propranolol is what im familiar with and is prescribed for anxiety such as stage fright but let me clarify a little something. Its not going to take away the fear of being in front of people, it will only help with the physical manifestations such as rapid heartbeat, shaking, etc. You will still feel nervous and everything else. Good Luck to you.

DarwinsMunky

DarwinsMunky

But, ive never had any negative side effects from beta blockers other than low blood pressure.

I

illuminerie

But, ive never had any negative side effects from beta blockers other than low blood pressure.

So you smoke weed and take a beta blocker and no negative side effects?

I'm also on a beta blocker and wanna smoke some cannabis to experiment with perception, but I want to make sure it's OK to smoke it on a beta blocker.

L

l0g1c4l

Hey everyone...thanks for stopping by! YES i take beta blockers, an extremely high dose at that, and YES smoke lots of cannabis. Now i take beta blockers in the form of a pill, metoprolol is what it is called, and i take it because i need to maintain a lower heart rate for sake of being cautious. I have some sort of electrical problem going on, that came up when i was 19, no previous symptoms ever or family history. Anyhow my problem was that for some reason i was receiving a second pulse to my heart, which really is just an electrical pulse from my brain, though for some reason every once and while it would send two which in turn would eventually fuck up my heart rythm. Technical terms would be i would VT(ventricular tachycardia) so much that i would go in to VF (ventricular fibrilllation). So i would than have a cardiac arrest and die, unless i was shocked back to life or shocked out of the fucked up rythm. I spent 2 months in the CCU (ICU) at an amazing heart institute and they performed every test they could think of and found nothing wrong with me. However luckily for me the beta blockers at a high dose have managed to not allow this extra heart beat to come through 99% of the time.

Ok now for the anxiety issues...i am very familiar with anxiety, only because it really really really really really really hurts to get shocked. So i lived in fear for sometime after my first cardiac arrest and i tell ya, the beta blockers definitely didnt help me there.

Negative side effects from beta blockers definitely exist. The first year i took them they destroyed my stomach, but i eventually got used to them (the weed probably helps). I take a very high dose, and sometimes is very hard to be motivated or even have any energy to do anything. And there is the worst possibility of all, impotence. The lowered blood pressure can cause some to not be able to get it up! Thank god that its not a problem for me, though my doc says it is a possibility when i get old.

As for those of you who are on beta blockers and want to smoke herb, i can only suggest one thing...try it! Some herbs cause me to PVC alot more than others, not potency related. I have not discussed this with any doctors so I can only speak for myself...i've been on beta blockers for over ten years and have been smoking atleast a gram a day.

So if you have any questions please do ask! And if anyone else knows anything about beta blockers and cannabis please do inform us!!

DarwinsMunky

DarwinsMunky

Wow, i havent looked back upon this thread in awhile. I remember reading something about certain people having stomach problems from certain beta blockers, but im either just one of the lucky guys or dont take as much you do. Eventually i stopped taking them because while they helped it was still very uncomfortable for me. Its hard having this condition and the severe anxiety that comes with it because it can become fairly painful. It can mimic the effect of a heart attack, the condition, not the meds, which always makes me wonder whether or not ill be able to tell whether im having one or not in the future because now that im so used to it i just do my best to ignore the pain. Anyhow, there are no worries to be had between smoking weed and taking beta blockers. Weed is one of if not the safest drugs that exist. I hope you guys' stomachs feel better, try getting on propranolol or something else. Good luck.

L

l0g1c4l

Hello to all farmers, its been a while since i've been around and its nice to always hear about others who have the same issues as you! As much as i would rather no one have any problems its good to know that i'm not the only one!

I am still smokin lots and taking my beta blockers (metoprolol) and continue to have no problems with two at the same time. And i hope its the same for everyone!

convex

convex

I am prescribed beta blockers, calcium and alpha channel blockers ... no ill effects w/MMJ in my case.

E

Eleanor

Hey farmers, hope everyones gardens are doing well! I was just wondering if anyone else is on beta blockers and is using marijuana??

I unfortunately take a huge dose of metoprolol (a beta blocker), and originally it was really rough on my stomach and caused me some serious heartburn, borderline ulsers. I knew that marijuana could ease stomach issues and had smoked a bit when I was younger. So long story short the smoking really helped and for me got rid of the ill effects of the beta blocker. So I dont have to take any other chemical meds for my stomach.

So I'm curious if anyone else has had ill effects from marijuana and beta blockers. Or if you have any questions for me I'd be happy to give you my two cents!

Happy farming
I take half a gummie at night for over 6 months.. also on Bisoprolol lately my blood press
drops very low when I exercise or do anything, 90/60 or lower should I cut back on bata blocker ?

M

Mechanic614

Happy farming
I'd like to hear more about your situation. Are you a performer of some kind? The only people I've ever heard of who take those are people with awful stage fright.

Or do you take them for everyday anxiety?

Beta blockers really interest me because I have some fucked up social anxiety as well as an interest in rapping at open mic nights around town(I can freestyle for days when I'm alone, but put an audience in front of me and I freeze up with nerves).

Are they hard to get prescribed?
hey there I just read your post about beta blockers. I used to use metoprolol low dose for pvcs. Dr switched me to propanolol because it helps with migraines. If you have anxiety that causes heart arrhythmia than tell your doctor. It’s a safe pill at low doses but it does have side effects. At first you get tired easy, low heart rate, and lack of drive. Over time your body usually adapts to it. For me I use weed in baking (edibles) because of the full bodt high. I have chronic pain from what chemo did to me a few years ago. Thc increases my heart rate thus giving me more pvcs but the beta blocker counter reacts that. So both beta blocker and thc are wonder meds for me! If you have any questions please contact me. God bless!

L

Lgstylo

hey there I just read your post about beta blockers. I used to use metoprolol low dose for pvcs. Dr switched me to propanolol because it helps with migraines. If you have anxiety that causes heart arrhythmia than tell your doctor. It’s a safe pill at low doses but it does have side effects. At first you get tired easy, low heart rate, and lack of drive. Over time your body usually adapts to it. For me I use weed in baking (edibles) because of the full bodt high. I have chronic pain from what chemo did to me a few years ago. Thc increases my heart rate thus giving me more pvcs but the beta blocker counter reacts that. So both beta blocker and thc are wonder meds for me! If you have any questions please contact me. God bless!
Hi! I am on metoprolol also at a very low dose (12.5) and I am wanting to start edibles.. I am afraid of the PVCs that it may give me.. Do you still have pvcs at all after you do edibles?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have very high blood pressure, with readings above 220/120 not uncommon. I take a boat load of blood pressure meds, but I had to stop the metropolol because of having high blood potassium levels (Hyperkalemia). Prior to stopping it, I took it for 5 years along with smoking and had no problems. If anything the smoking gave me back my appetite that my bad kidneys and medicine have taken away. I have never had any problems with my heart when mixing the two, other than the typical faster heartbeat I get after getting pretty medicated. It has really helped me out and didn't cause any problems, even with a stress echocardiogram. Chest discomfort is a reaction many have to medicating, but I don't think it is related to Beta Blockers.

H

heisen

I have pvc's also.one day 3 years ago they just started up really bad.dealt with em and finally got to bad I went to dr.echocardiagram looked good as well as everything else.had to wear a heart monitor.seemed like i would have stomach issues that always triggered them.worse when i layed down.
Dr put me 20mg metoprolol and seems the pvc's aren't as bad but stomach pains got worse.
Hoping things get better.

C

Chickens24

Happy farming
Do u think it was the high dose that caused the stomach issues as I'm afraid to behind my med in dose of 12.5 time released metopolo.

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

Do u think it was the high dose that caused the stomach issues as I'm afraid to behind my med in dose of 12.5 time released metopolo.
I see some of this is old thread but...cbd oil can interfere with drugs you take , either making them increase or decrease so do be careful. If u have heart problems and u feel different then don’t use cannabis.other antacids on the market that don’t cause interference in other meds.
Just what I have found out....and it sux
😎

M

Madalynnfo

Okay so recently I been having high heart rates . I had taken 3 hits of weed and my heart rate went up to 170 I got taken to the hospital and got medicine later go discharged the same night. Next couple days I didn’t smoke but still had a high heart rate and was in and out of the hospital . So a 4 days later after having my heart rate at 170 I decided to smoke half a blunt , and so I did , well not even 5-10 minutes later my heart rate was 200 and I called an ambulance , they finally figured out I had Supraventricular tachycardia , I’m on a beta blocker Metoprolol 25 mg , I take it every morning i was wondering if I would be safe to smoke again or would my heart rate would go up .

Anonymous1400

Anonymous1400

Hey everyone...thanks for stopping by! YES i take beta blockers, an extremely high dose at that, and YES smoke lots of cannabis. Now i take beta blockers in the form of a pill, metoprolol is what it is called, and i take it because i need to maintain a lower heart rate for sake of being cautious. I have some sort of electrical problem going on, that came up when i was 19, no previous symptoms ever or family history. Anyhow my problem was that for some reason i was receiving a second pulse to my heart, which really is just an electrical pulse from my brain, though for some reason every once and while it would send two which in turn would eventually fuck up my heart rythm. Technical terms would be i would VT(ventricular tachycardia) so much that i would go in to VF (ventricular fibrilllation). So i would than have a cardiac arrest and die, unless i was shocked back to life or shocked out of the fucked up rythm. I spent 2 months in the CCU (ICU) at an amazing heart institute and they performed every test they could think of and found nothing wrong with me. However luckily for me the beta blockers at a high dose have managed to not allow this extra heart beat to come through 99% of the time.

Ok now for the anxiety issues...i am very familiar with anxiety, only because it really really really really really really hurts to get shocked. So i lived in fear for sometime after my first cardiac arrest and i tell ya, the beta blockers definitely didnt help me there.

Negative side effects from beta blockers definitely exist. The first year i took them they destroyed my stomach, but i eventually got used to them (the weed probably helps). I take a very high dose, and sometimes is very hard to be motivated or even have any energy to do anything. And there is the worst possibility of all, impotence. The lowered blood pressure can cause some to not be able to get it up! Thank god that its not a problem for me, though my doc says it is a possibility when i get old.

As for those of you who are on beta blockers and want to smoke herb, i can only suggest one thing...try it! Some herbs cause me to PVC alot more than others, not potency related. I have not discussed this with any doctors so I can only speak for myself...i've been on beta blockers for over ten years and have been smoking atleast a gram a day.

So if you have any questions please do ask! And if anyone else knows anything about beta blockers and cannabis please do inform us!!

Ok I know I’m late asf but I’ve been having heart problems (like tachycardia over 200 bpm) for a few months now and whenever I smoke weed it makes my heart freak out. But I’m now on a small dose metapropol. Will my heart freak out still or will it just be normal since I’m on the beta blocker if I try to smoke again? Also which heart institute did u go to??? I can’t seem to find one that actually wants to help figure out what the fucks wrong with me.

AnitaBonghitt

AnitaBonghitt

I used to take beta blockers for high blood pressure, after a year or so my heart rate got to low and had to go off of them. Getting off of them was very hard and you need to go off slowly. It took me 6 months.

Latest posts

Top Bottom