Anybody Transplanted Mid-flower?

• Thread starter Minitiger
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Minitiger

Minitiger

Anybody ever done this? Transplanted to bigger pots like four or five weeks into flower?

I’m flowering four Big Sur Nigerian x NL2 (Bodhi testers) and two of them are showing big-time Mg issues (or maybe S) or maybe just the three gallon smart pots I have them aren’t enough. I thought maybe the NL in the cross would make the smaller pots acceptable, but that’s clearly not the case. These roots need more room. And yes, I watered them with a little Sea 90 and Epsom salts five days ago, but I don’t wanna keep doing that.

I’m thinking I’ll transplant them into five gallons (just because I also have other plants in the tent and there’s not much room) or seven gallons if I have to and dusting with some BioAg Vam all over the roots when I transplant, just wondering what y’all think.

Also, I should mention, these Nigerian/NL2’s look like they’re gonna take at a minimum eleven weeks. And that’s being generous. Probably closer to 13 weeks, maybe more. I have some Mendo Purps x SSDD in the tent as well and they look like they’re going to be done in four weeks or so, so I’ll have much more room in the tent in about a month or so, just FYI. So I’m thinking that maaayyyyyybe, because they’re longer-flowering, the transplant might not affect them as much, but I don’t know.

Anyway, yeah, just wondering if y’all have ever transplanted deep into flowering and what effect (if any) it had on the final results.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Transplanting during flowering can be done, but the plants are usually shocked and take a while to get going again. The roots don't seem to grow as much during flowering, so adding a lot of extra space might not help as much as you hope. Even if you are in 3 gallon pots, the plants can still get pretty nice with a little extra TLC, water, and nutrients. Can you show a Pic? It helps greatly instead of a description. There are a lot of other variables (light source, grow medium) that might help to diagnose your problem.
In a nutshell, yes, you can transplant during flowering but it ill make your yield smaller and maybe cause stress issues.

madgrower

madgrower

Transplanting during flowering can be done, but the plants are usually shocked and take a while to get going again. The roots don't seem to grow as much during flowering, so adding a lot of extra space might not help as much as you hope. Even if you are in 3 gallon pots, the plants can still get pretty nice with a little extra TLC, water, and nutrients. Can you show a Pic? It helps greatly instead of a description. There are a lot of other variables (light source, grow medium) that might help to diagnose your problem.
In a nutshell, yes, you can transplant during flowering but it ill make your yield smaller and maybe cause stress issues.
I did once plant hermied

Minitiger

Minitiger

Okay, yeah, decreased yields and stress issues are exactly what I was afraid of. I’ve never really had an issue growing in three gallon smart pots before, even with strains that took eleven or twelve weeks, but something’s going on with these Nigerian/NL2’s. It’s definitely not the medium (Coot’s mix), although I was thinking that maybe they’re a little too close to the light? Do you know if that might affect their ability to uptake? The closest tops are about a foot away from the light (Apache AT600, which is a great, great light), which is a little closer than I’d like, but because I’m also growing these Mendo Purps/SSDD’s, which are significantly shorter than the Nigerians, I don’t wanna raise the light too much more. Ordinarily, I’d just put the Purps/SSDD’s on five gallon buckets to even out the canopy, but with this particular grow, putting the shorter plants on buckets would then make them taller than the Nigerians. Plus, the Mendo/SSDD’s have these HUGE fan leaves and I’m afraid they’d block a lot of light getting to the middle and lower portion of the Nigerians.

Basically, it’s chaos in the tent right now haha.

I did raise the light a few inches last night. And I also took pics. I’ll post them ASAP. Unfortunately, my girl works from home and is on the computer all day, so it’ll probably be later today when I can post them.

Thanks for responding, though. I’ll tag you when I post the pics.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Theres no point uppotting half way through bloom as the plants stop putting energy into new roots after a few weeks of bloom.iv done it and it stunted my plant instead of helping it.@jimster is bang on with what he says.its not worth the extra soil.if anything your roots won't get enough oxygen as theyl be surrounded by wet soil that won't have any roots in it to uptake the water to dry it out which means it will stay wet and will most likely rot the roots that the plant already has.
That's just my experience but I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have often thought to transplant after week 2 when the soil nutes run out rather than add fertilizer.

Theoretically could keep the plant on water only with ocean forest or similar.

I really dont see transplant stress often in veg anymore. Maybe its worth a try.

But like said above the roots dont grow much after peak bloom so too late doesnt make much sense.

Minitiger

Minitiger

Dont do it

I’ve decided I’m not going to. I was just drunk and super-baked last night and also kind of tripping out after I got done watering. I’m sooo not used to dealing with any kind of issues, but my last grow and now this grow I’ve been dealing with Mg issues which really irritate me. I really hate those yellow leaves that fall off. And it isn’t even every plant, it’s just certain strains or even certain F1’s of the particular strain. Like, last grow, it was The Fuzzes. All of the other strains I grew last round were fine. This grow it’s a couple of the Nigerians (but not all of them). The Mendo Daydreams look phenomenal.

Anyway, yeah, no way am I gonna transplant this far into flowering. Usually I just water with one batch of, uh, water, but I’m thinking I may water with pure water for the Mendos and mix some Epsom salts one last time into a different batch of water specifically for the Nigerians. Or somethin’ haha.

It’ll work out, I’m sure.

Minitiger

Minitiger

I have often thought to transplant after week 2 when the soil nutes run out rather than add fertilizer.

Theoretically could keep the plant on water only with ocean forest or similar.

I really dont see transplant stress often in veg anymore. Maybe its worth a try.

But like said above the roots dont grow much after peak bloom so too late doesnt make much sense.

I never see transplant stress. But then again, I don’t transplant during flower, which is why I was kinda wondering. But veg? Nah, no way, my plants just keep going and going.

Minitiger

Minitiger

Theres no point uppotting half way through bloom as the plants stop putting energy into new roots after a few weeks of bloom.iv done it and it stunted my plant instead of helping it.@jimster is bang on with what he says.its not worth the extra soil.if anything your roots won't get enough oxygen as theyl be surrounded by wet soil that won't have any roots in it to uptake the water to dry it out which means it will stay wet and will most likely rot the roots that the plant already has.
That's just my experience but I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

Come on, bro, you know me. I’m not worried about oxygen, as the soil mix I use has proper CEC. My thinking was that adding my mix would also add necessary minerals and nutrients that maybe the plants are asking for. But like I said in the last post, I was just drunk and baked. I’m gonna ride this grow out. It’s Bodhi.... I’m sure the plants will turn out amazing. He’s never let me down yet haha.

Top Bottom