Anyone else vent into their attic?

• Thread starter RELOADER212
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RELOADER212

RELOADER212

I recently redesigned my tent with( 2) 8' hoods and (2) 600 hps. I am exhuasting air through an 8' carbon filter with a Hydrofarm 725 cfm fan on top of filter, then routed out through my 2 lights and out of tent.

I have a 7x7x7 tent in a spare bedroom. I have a 400 cfm fan pulling air into tent through a window. This was working well through Winter, but now temps are too hot and I need to vent that air out of there. I bought an 8'elbow and mounted up towards ceiling (pictured). My next step is to cut an 8' hole in the ceiling and mount vent going up?
Question, for anyone who has dones this, how does it work out venting in attic, any condensation, mold or anything from all the heat?
Thanks
Anyone else vent into their attic

Dodge

Dodge

No prob with that except the smell. If the air is smelly it will stink up the whole house as the air will travel over the entire ceiling. Why not finish the job and install a roof vent just for this pipe to get the heat out once and for all? You could just treat this vent like a hot water heater pipe. However, if you just want to vent to the attic... you should still be fine... as most homes have passive vents (usually square vents/505a and soffit vents) that draw air in from under the eve (soffit vent) and out up towards the ridge or "high point" of the roof. These vents use the fact that hot air rises to function. Good ventilation is vital to a comfortable home, so you may consider installing some square vents and soffit vents in your home if the added heat becomes noticeable.

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

Imo you should add to the ducting and route it outside instead of in the attic, as this will cause mold because of the RH from the grow room getting trapped along w/ the heat in the attic. If you reroute it to a vent going out of your attic you'll avoid the build up of humidity and heat. It can build up and effect the heat levels in your grow room.

RELOADER212

RELOADER212

Imo you should add to the ducting and route it outside instead of in the attic, as this will cause mold because of the RH from the grow room getting trapped along w/ the heat in the attic. If you reroute it to a vent going out of your attic you'll avoid the build up of humidity and heat. It can build up and effect the heat levels in your grow room.
Yea good idea, thanks, I am going to go into attic and run more ducting to a big vent to the outside thats up there.

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
I run an 8" max fan to cool 1kW and 600W... both 6" hoods are open on one end and ducted with 6" insulated ducting to the max fan with a y adapter, which then is ducted with 8" ducting through the ceiling and into a Can 50. I don't run any supplemental AC and my temps max at 85 deg during the summer...

hiboy

hiboy

I dont think its a good idea to suck the air from the tent thru the lights and out to wherever u want to put it. Leave the air in the tent, thats another subject. Push air from outside the tent thru the lights and then out to ur desired location. Then u wont get smell from this set up since ur pushing air and not sucking air. And if you cool ur tent u wont be sucking that nice cool air out.
Then get a seperate duct for fresh air intake that turns on every hour for 15 minutes or so, really depends on the cfm of that fan.
hb

RELOADER212

RELOADER212

I dont think its a good idea to suck the air from the tent thru the lights and out to wherever u want to put it. Leave the air in the tent, thats another subject. Push air from outside the tent thru the lights and then out to ur desired location. Then u wont get smell from this set up since ur pushing air and not sucking air. And if you cool ur tent u wont be sucking that nice cool air out.
Then get a seperate duct for fresh air intake that turns on every hour for 15 minutes or so, really depends on the cfm of that fan.
hb
Yea but pulling air from insde the tent through the lights and out the tent requires only 1 large fan instead of 2 fans one cooling lights and one running your filter. Then you have to have a 3rd fan for intake. Since I have 8' hoods I am using a large filter and just 1 725 cfm inline fan. I just want to exit my hot air somewhere other then back inside my room, which worked for winter, but now its too warm.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
hey brother I vent into the attic. i have a squirrel cage under the house bringing cold air in and i have that same blower you have exhausting heat from the tent into the attic and I also have another one of those blowers cooling my two 1000s and also venting into the attic. I havnt had any issues what so ever. hope this helps lol

I don't vent into my attic (I grow in the basement), but like DanK, I exhaust my tent separately from my lights.

outwest

budfriend

budfriend

Its easy just vent into the attic like you are doing but run ducting to the exhaust or most houses have an open metal vent on both sides. Just run the ducting to that. Then just duct tape around the ducting then run to support beam on side and staple gun. the run the duct tape around the ducting again and staple gun to support beam on other side. then do again on both sides at bottom and you have easy support securing the ducting to the vent with four secure points. You could do it fancy but this way works fine. Air is duct outside. The fan noise might bother you at first but if its constant people wont notice and just think it is an attic fan. As long as there is no smell.

Save the 8in cut out so when you want to fix all you have to do it put back and fix like drywall and buy the spray texture and paint. Back to normal.

for no leak just make sure you are pushing the air not pulling it through the hoods and that your intake comes from outside the room and it not the intake has a carbon filter on it.

good luck and save the cut out for easy repair

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Not bad at all, if you foam out a muffler box for it. Otherwise loud as hell like most inlines cept the $$ ones. Betting it wouldn't pass the tractor-pull test with a highend brand, but for $75..

S

seebobsled

Plant and AC humidity cannot be vented in your attic. Now if it's just strictly equipment room heat that does not add any additional moisture. Be safe and healthy for your house and you.

urbanfog

urbanfog

just run a vent to the attic roof vent if you have to vent in the attic. As someone with AC/Home improvement background, you dont want to vent into the attic space.

RELOADER212

RELOADER212

just run a vent to the attic roof vent if you have to vent in the attic. As someone with AC/Home improvement background, you dont want to vent into the attic space.
Yea, thats exactly what I plan to do, thanks.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Only if there is an existing humidity problem That needs to be addressed.
I'm gonna have to disagree here, esp since we're discussing a subject that could seriously damage someone's home. Shit happens fast even when there's only a little moisture. The advice below is best:

Btw, there's a rebuild in progress of the growroom AC thread by cannabisjohn you might want to sub for more discussion like this. He's an hvac pro and gives good advice, examples of others' setups there too..

Amber

Amber

I vent into my attic but I installed a few extra vents up there and a fan to pull it towards vents

Top Bottom