Anyone have any idea what is happening to this little crescendo plant?

• Thread starter Irie420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Irie420

Irie420

Hey long time lurker first time posting. This is my first grow with LED's and I honestly don't know what exactly is going on with this gal. I've got 5 plants under a 1700e. Day time temps are 78-82. RH 50-60%. Been keeping the night temps withing 5 degrees of the day hoping for some compact plants. They're in FFOF. I started the seeds in 6" planters. No additional nutes but I've been pH'ing RO water to 6.3-6.8 every time I water. At three weeks in I topped all 5 plants. Within a day or two I noticed what I thought was the beginning of a magnesium deficiency. Leaves were droopy with some yellowing between veins on the older fan leaves, so I foliar fed calimagic at 5mL/gallon and began adding it with every subsequent watering. It was also about time to transplant. Four of the five plants that seemed to sort them out. This crescendo plant pictured did start praying again but the new growth seems to be coming in with burnt tips. Thats concerning being that they've never been fertilized aside from the cal mag and what's in the soil. It's been about a week since I topped them and 3-4 days since transplant. Any idea what's going on here? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

A couple notes:
definitely not overwatered (Although new to led's I've got about a decade of HPS growing under my belt and am very confident in that statement.)
My pH pen was calibrated before its first use and weekly thereafter.
Additionally the roots looked pretty healthy when transplanted.
20210623_082547.jpg
20210622_231418.jpg
20210620_145907.jpg
1624301811133.jpg

Last edited:
GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Maybe back off on the light a little bit? Also what is your water source. If it’s tap water you may just need a little magnesium. Epsom salt is what I use. The tip burn would suggest nute burn but you said it hasn’t been fed. Ffof can be a little hot but those plants should be plenty big enough that it shouldn’t be effecting new growth. I really don’t know but backing off on the light or dimming a little should help ease plant stress till you narrow it down. Hopefully someone smarter than me pops in.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If using RO add cal mag to it. Agree with poster above back off the lights. And don't bother phing RO water its not needed as it had virtually no alkalinity

DeepCoverInDisguise

DeepCoverInDisguise

This is a pH issue...... plants like a constant pH, not one that goes up and down. I'm thinking, off the top, you're pH is too high.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If I’m not mistaken ffof is amended with lime so it shouldn’t be the ph.
You are correct and using RO water has virtually no impact on ph. That's the reason you do not need to ph your nutrients unless required for mixing purposes.

Irie420

Irie420

Lights are 36" (gavita's above plants and I've been religiously keeping that distance the same. Chasing ever closer internodal spacing I was at 24" for a day or two, and yeah they didn't like that haha. I guess raising them another few inches wouldn't hurt til I get this under control all the same.

I'm stuck using RO as my tap water comes out between 9-9.5 and over 100ppm of sodium. Aquaman is correct in regarding the RO not really needing to be adjusted much if at all. Indeed I really haven't had to adjust it much if at all. I did apply great white and superthrive at separate times during this grow and those were the only times I needed to adjust the pH

I started adding cal-mag to any waterings since the deficiency presented after giving them a foliar spray with it right before the lights went out for the night.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I carbon filter our water for two reasons.
1. Carbon naturally pH's the water.
2. I don't want whats in our water in our plants.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Lights are 36" (gavita's above plants and I've been religiously keeping that distance the same. Chasing ever closer internodal spacing I was at 24" for a day or two, and yeah they didn't like that haha. I guess raising them another few inches wouldn't hurt til I get this under control all the same.

I'm stuck using RO as my tap water comes out between 9-9.5 and over 100ppm of sodium. Aquaman is correct in regarding the RO not really needing to be adjusted much if at all. Indeed I really haven't had to adjust it much if at all. I did apply great white and superthrive at separate times during this grow and those were the only times I needed to adjust the pH

I started adding cal-mag to any waterings since the deficiency presented after giving them a foliar spray with it right before the lights went out for the night.
You have a water softener I am assuming. What's the ppm if you have a source of water before the softener?

100-200ppm is absolutely perfect if it's not loaded with sodium like a water softener does.

Bit if it's just 100-200ppm of municipal water ots likely fine to use. Very few use sodium bicarbonate to buffer them but if you Google your local water report it will give you an idea of the makeup.

I'll post a link to PH you may find useful. But yeah those gavita 1700e are powerful I'd be around 40+ inches about now.

Irie420

Irie420

FFOF is actually amended with oyster shells to raise the pH, but the scenario is the same. I do see quite a few forum posts about FF's soil qc declining in the past few years. Posts about the soil coming out of the bag at 6 or under. I kinda brushed that off as I've had dozens of successful grows with Ocean Forest in the past but perhaps a slurry test or testing the runoff is worth a try? Although you'd think the other plants would also be suffering a similar fate if that was the case. I'm kinda out of ideas for other things to check at this point. Looks like nutrient burn (despite using no actual nutrients) and micronutrient deficiencies simultaneously which does kind of indicate a pH issue to me. Idk man guess we'll see how she goes. Thanks to everyone that responded for taking the time to try and offer some help.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The ph isn't the issue... its the alkalinity that's important. In soil grows the soil buffers the PH so there is no need unless you are adding something like silicate to the nutrients and need to bring thw ph down so your nutrients don't precipitate out.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

FFOF is actually amended with oyster shells to raise the pH, but the scenario is the same. I do see quite a few forum posts about FF's soil qc declining in the past few years. Posts about the soil coming out of the bag at 6 or under. I kinda brushed that off as I've had dozens of successful grows with Ocean Forest in the past but perhaps a slurry test or testing the runoff is worth a try? Although you'd think the other plants would also be suffering a similar fate if that was the case. I'm kinda out of ideas for other things to check at this point. Looks like nutrient burn (despite using no actual nutrients) and micronutrient deficiencies simultaneously which does kind of indicate a pH issue to me. Idk man guess we'll see how she goes. Thanks to everyone that responded for taking the time to try and offer some help.
So this is due to the time it takes lime to activate ad it happens slowly. Usually 2 weeks. Plus the ammonium in it so once you have the microbes established it converts the ammonium to nitrates, the lime is activated and the PH should then be in range.

The PH drop later is usually due to overfeeding.

Irie420

Irie420

Screenshot 20210623 151714 OneDrive

Looks like I may have been mistaken about the sodium content. I've seen it come out the tap over 10 before though which led me to say reverse osmosis is the way 😆

Irie420

Irie420

I have not ever used tap water on this crop though so the quality (or lack thereof) of the municipal water supply really doesn't matter I guess. Just derailing the discussion

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have not ever used tap water on this crop though so the quality (or lack thereof) of the municipal water supply really doesn't matter I guess. Just derailing the discussion
Yeah sorry always looking for things that can be improved.

Irie420

Irie420

Transplanted this past Sunday. So they've only been in their new containers 3 days now.

Irie420

Irie420

Dude that is absolutely about as good as it gets for tap.
I actually just looked up the water quality report I had assumed anything with a pH of 9-10 was gonna be trash. Never really looked into it further. That's good to know and once I figure out current problem I'll definitely start aerating buckets of water and using that. I'd just rather not introduce any additional variables until this is sorted out. So in your opinion I should just back off the lights another 6" and otherwise keep doing what I'm doing?

Top Bottom