Anyone have any idea what is happening to this little crescendo plant?

• Thread starter Irie420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I actually just looked up the water quality report I had assumed anything with a pH of 9-10 was gonna be trash. Never really looked into it further. That's good to know and once I figure out current problem I'll definitely start aerating buckets of water and using that. I'd just rather not introduce any additional variables until this is sorted out. So in your opinion I should just back off the lights another 6" and otherwise keep doing what I'm doing?
Yeah atleast 6" I'd say no closer than 40" for the time being. Even on 12/12 I don't think your gonna get closer than 20-24" without co2. Co2 makes a huge difference in the amount of light a plant can use.

Small plants under 18/6 handle much lower intensity but make up for it by the longer period of light.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Honestly with the stress I'd go 4ft and give em a week... you should see very nice new growth. The older damaged stuff as you prob know won't get better and will get worse.

Irie420

Irie420

Yeah atleast 6" I'd say no closer than 40" for the time being. Even on 12/12 I don't think your gonna get closer than 20-24" without co2. Co2 makes a huge difference in the amount of light a plant can use.

Small plants under 18/6 handle much lower intensity but make up for it by the longer period of light.
I do have co2, I stopped using it when the plants started looking unhealthy though. 24" is exactly what gravita says for flowering with no co2 too so you're dead on there. I kinda went all out on my first legal grow after a 7 year hiatus due to legal issues that resulted from the aforementioned "dozens of grows" 😆

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I do have co2, I stopped using it when the plants started looking unhealthy though. 24" is exactly what gravita says for flowering with no co2 too so you're dead on there. I kinda went all out on my first legal grow after a 7 year hiatus due to legal issues that resulted from the aforementioned "dozens of grows" 😆
I'd add it back and raise the light... 1000-1200 ppm should be plenty. I'm sure you have good airflow through the plants but that's really important with co2 so thought I'd mention it.

Irie420

Irie420

I'd add it back and raise the light... 1000-1200 ppm should be plenty. I'm sure you have good airflow through the plants but that's really important with co2 so thought I'd mention it.
Definitely have three wall-mounted oscillating fans. Maybe overkill (I'm only using two of them on low rn) idk but I do know I shouldn't have to worry about mold in this sealed room come flowering time. Thanks again for your help aquaman. I'll raise the lights to 48" and turn the co2 back on and see what happens. While I've got your attention though didn't hear anything else in the room that seems less than optimal to you? Probably bump up the temp a few degrees with added co2 but beyond that?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Definitely have three wall-mounted oscillating fans. Maybe overkill (I'm only using two of them on low rn) idk but I do know I shouldn't have to worry about mold in this sealed room come flowering time. Thanks again for your help aquaman. I'll raise the lights to 48" and turn the co2 back on and see what happens. While I've got your attention though didn't hear anything else in the room that seems less than optimal to you? Probably bump up the temp a few degrees with added co2 but beyond that?
Best way is to use leaf temperature. 75-77f with co2 can push em maybe to 80f depending in the strain. I say this because many adjustments can be made to accomplish this. This is a handy tool my friend.

Now with co2 a few things that it impacts. I'll go over a couple and then give a link to VPD.

So first is co2 increases photosynthetic efficiency of the plants. This causes it to reduce transpiration rates. So you need to co pensive a bit for this. (Why ppl say they tolerate hotter drier climates) when infact they need warmer drier climates as they will increase transpiration to make up for that)

So 2 ways to compensate

1. Increase nutrient concentration to account for lower transpiration.

2. Increase the VPD so higher temls and lower humidity.

I prefer 2 and think a combination is best. So 100-200ppm increase is usually plenty.

The humidity is a bit more complicated and you want to use VPD but I found with room temls around 82f and humidity 50-55% makes for good transpiration at around 1200ppm of co2.

Now if we increase transpiration to much the plant stresses and leaf temps will jump and we see lots of stress. But increasing transpiration also benefits the plants by not only increasing nutrient uptake but leaf cooling through evaporation... like I say to a point and we want to keep in mind out stomatal conductance to maximizes co2 usage so more is not always better.

In the end it's about getting leaf temps into that range so tinkering with airflow (forced evaporative cooling and good co2 distribution), temps (as they directly impact plant temps and humidity (as it directly affects nutrient uptake, co2 usage and transpiration rates)

To get that perfect formula. I know it sounds like a lot but it's not all that hard if you have the leaf temps and just tweak the other variables to keep them there. Adjust feeding based on plant response to nitrogen.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMI632...imm_W3J65AKTDD8XG6SAQM2F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Irie420

Irie420

Well once more thanks to everyone that responded. Extra big thanks to aquaman for bearing with me and even offering additional suggestions to improve my flowers. I made this exact same post in several other forums and haven't had anyone really offer anything constructive. It's mostly been along the lines of "your room sounds fine" when I have at least one plant that would disagree with that assessment. I gotta say I'll feel kind of silly if I've been stressing about what could possibly be wrong when all I needed to do is raise my lights though. I mentioned having had plenty of very successful grows in the past and I kinda felt like that meant that would translate to a easy grow this time around in soil. I'd say I should do some research concerning LED's. The technology obviously has come a long way since I was well versed in everything cannabis-growing related. When I went on my grow hiatus LED's were looking promising but still kind of a novelty. I might know a decent bit but the past week has made it abundantly clear to me that there's a whole bunch I still need to pick up. I'm eagerly awaiting to see the results following the advice offered here. It sure looks to me like those plants should really take off when ideal conditions are provided. In closing I know someone here has to wonder "if 36 inches is messing that plant up that bad, what did a day of 24" do?" For the curious I present Chemdog 91
20210611 145456
20210611 145520

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well once more thanks to everyone that responded. Extra big thanks to aquaman for bearing with me and even offering additional suggestions to improve my flowers. I made this exact same post in several other forums and haven't had anyone really offer anything constructive. It's mostly been along the lines of "your room sounds fine" when I have at least one plant that would disagree with that assessment. I gotta say I'll feel kind of silly if I've been stressing about what could possibly be wrong when all I needed to do is raise my lights though. I mentioned having had plenty of very successful grows in the past and I kinda felt like that meant that would translate to a easy grow this time around in soil. I'd say I should do some research concerning LED's. The technology obviously has come a long way since I was well versed in everything cannabis-growing related. When I went on my grow hiatus LED's were looking promising but still kind of a novelty. I might know a decent bit but the past week has made it abundantly clear to me that there's a whole bunch I still need to pick up. I'm eagerly awaiting to see the results following the advice offered here. It sure looks to me like those plants should really take off when ideal conditions are provided. In closing I know someone here has to wonder "if 36 inches is messing that plant up that bad, what did a day of 24" do?" For the curious I present Chemdog 91 View attachment 1138845View attachment 1138846
Welcome to the farm... lots of great like minded ppl and the community is very helpful. I learn something daily, imo once we stop learning we are just lying to ourselves.

Really great community of all levels of experience here and I'm sure many of could use some of your knowledge if so inclined

Last edited:
Top Bottom