Anyone Heard of Lowering Temps?

• Thread starter Thetinman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thetinman

Thetinman

Hello all,

I went to an out of town hydro store today, to pick up dirt.

There was a kid there, parents owned the store. He was telling me, something completely off the wall!

That keeping plants at 78° was actually too much heat! Saying that keeping temps near 70-72° would keep them more happy.
He said he has been there working for 15 years, slinging nutrients and the like.

Has ANYONE ever heard of this..?!

TinMan

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Under HPS lamps I keep temps at the canopy under 77 degrees Fahrenheit. Higher temps stress plants and degrade trichomes and even cause nanners.

led growers keep a bit higher temps as there is little radiant heat affecting the plants.

Thetinman

Thetinman

This is all new to me...
Never heard of keeping lower than 77°.

He is talking like 72°!?

Thetinman

Thetinman

He was saying, to lower lights. Hmmm now that's interesting....!

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Of course, lowering temps will help your plants frost up, i just grew royal purple kush and exposed it to cold and it frosted up niceley and allso brought out that purple hue, i try and do this with all my winter grows unless i allready start seedlings, it's hot and super humid here in summer so i run sativa dom plants bc they like it hot, after this grow it will be warm enough to run super oarnge haze and ghost haze, i run an ac so temps will not exceed 80f and can turn it to blast to get temps down to low 70s, in fall winter and early spring run indica dom plants by first week of may this last run will be done and will move on to the haze. Pics last small run.

20201125 170745
20201125 170745
20210214 144613
Thetinman

Thetinman

Holy CRAP!
THIS IS COMPLETELY NEW AND UNHEARD TILL NOW...

?????

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well with 15 yrs experience in a grow shop I would say the kid is an expert in bioscience... room temps mean absolutely nothing. It's the leaf temps, root temps and plant temps that matter. What affects this?

Wind, genetics (leaf structure/surface area), room temp, humidity, what the pots are resting on, type of lighting used, to a point salinity, co2 concentration etc etc etc.

If someone tells you that a specific number for room temps that's ideal... they are likely educated just enough to be dangerous.

I agree with @MIMedGrower 75-77f leaf temps at the canopy are a good place to be.

Thetinman

Thetinman

Well, you know me, I will try for a day and see what happens. Nothing drastic, but stay under 80-79°.
Ya this kid had been building their very nice equipment for all kinds of distraction processes, distillation, the works....
That's his department.... I dunno..... there is a constant bell curve into understanding very successful avenues here in Cali. But seems to be a "standard" his old man set up long ago...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well, you know me, I will try for a day and see what happens. Nothing drastic, but stay under 80-79°.
Ya this kid had been building their very nice equipment for all kinds of distraction processes, distillation, the works....
That's his department.... I dunno..... there is a constant bell curve into understanding very successful avenues here in Cali. But seems to be a "standard" his old man set up long ago...
Keep in mind there are a million ppl looking for a claim to fame in cannabis. Gardening and agricultural has been around forever... basics are well established and while there are some cannabis specific improvements and plenty to learn.... temp is not one of them. If you find anecdotal evidence or claims using other things as an example to prove what they are saying I would take that info with caution.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i would think the best temp for it would somehow be connected to its genetics. so if a breeder specifically bred for a warm climate, i would think it would want a warm climate.

Thetinman

Thetinman

Well,
Your not going to believe this...

Cranked girls down to 74° an hour before lights out. Kept it there and lowered to 60rh.

Just woke them up. Almost no yellowing this morning.......? Will send pics in an hour or so when they wake and warm a bit.....

Thetinman

Thetinman

Ok true story,

Back in Georgia, 2 weeks before harvest.... power shut off for 8 days because of snow damage. Right in the center of town! 8 days!

What I did was simple. Grow was in basement. Opened the room up completely to breath.
No lights no heat for 6 days, rented generator, day and a half later got power back on.
So, they kept cold and with very little light at the 6th day.
Keeping in the low 60's thank god...

Increased weight by a THIRD. There is something there. Where the cold alone seems to cause a thickening of the buds. Makes sense, the plant thinks it may be time to die.
So, buds suppose to have seed pods. To "carry on" after death. But it also caused zero breakdown of plant materials, above and below dirt...zero smell, no rotting occured....

Thetinman

Thetinman

Well,

Kept at 75° or lower during the whole day. Dropped about an inch with lights.

Now, low and behold, there is a darker, richer green starting to show. A bit yellow, but seems to be getting use to the idea. ..

IMG 20210403 114554 HDR
IMG 20210403 114505 HDR
IMG 20210403 114514 HDR
IMG 20210403 114548 HDR
Thetinman

Thetinman

Your not going to believe this.....

Looks like Jr. may know what he's talkin about. So I have been working it like this. I drop an inch or 2, then lower temps where it stays cooler all the way around. Not needing humidifiers now, just using dehumidifier. So the plants are perspiring well. Here lately the 1 gal pots were dry in 4 days.

IMG 20210404 094512 HDR
IMG 20210404 094520 HDR
IMG 20210404 094530 HDR
IMG 20210404 094534 HDR
Thetinman

Thetinman

Now to get an Idea of what I am talking about. See the yellowing, I will drop temps and then the green comes back...

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Impressive, you've done months of experimenting in 3 days!

I won't be doing it, makes no sense. But good work on conducting experiments!

Thetinman

Thetinman

Hello!

Hopefully you can see the differences. At 74°....

IMG 20210404 112625 HDR
IMG 20210404 112632 HDR
IMG 20210404 112639 HDR
Thetinman

Thetinman

The thing is, there is massive rooting going on. Were popping out everywhere in the 4" pots.
Thank you to kelp4less.com with their Root Enhancer! Never seen a complete windings of never ending roots on all walls and bottom of pots.

But I believe the cooler temperatures are helping tremendously.

Top Bottom