Anyone know if this is bud rot?

• Thread starter ThcForMe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ThcForMe

ThcForMe

My main cola started browning out. Never grown outdoors. Is this bud rot? Any thoughts?

Anyone know if this is bud rot
Anyone know if this is bud rot 2
Anyone know if this is bud rot 3
Madbud

Madbud

Probably caterpillars if you haven’t sprayed for them. Can you pull the leaves out easily, see any pepperlike frass inside, thats cats. Tiny but they eat the buds from the inside. Outdoor pandemic this time of year.

Last edited:
mancorn

mancorn

Most definitely yes. Remove it after spraying with water or hydrogen peroxide and inspect the inside for caterpillars. You want to spray the bud so that if it’s Botrytis (gray mold) the spores don’t fly all around and effect the rest of your plant. This looks like a top cola, so you can also just cover it with a paper or plastic bag. (Still a good idea to spray so spores don’t float around while bagging.) Afterwards (and far away from your grow) pull open the bud and inspect the inside looking for a worm and it’s black round poop. This way you’ll know if it’s a worm or fungus problem.

ThcForMe

ThcForMe

Thank you. I Have sprayed neem and caterpillar killer just about every week. I have inspected with a jewelers loop and no signs of poop on the plant. Are you suggesting I cut the browned cola off to inspect and trash it. I am about ready to harvest. This is brutal.

Madbud

Madbud

Thank you. I Have sprayed neem and caterpillar killer just about every week. I have inspected with a jewelers loop and no signs of poop on the plant. Are you suggesting I cut the browned cola off to inspect and trash it. I am about ready to harvest. This is brutal.
Yeah, cut that one off and look inside. If you got cats they will drop out when its hanging to dry.
DABB9179 3730 4FD3 AEAF C6F2BBDFCC14

freezeland2

freezeland2

Well if it’s good after inspection don’t trash it. Odds are it’s full of rot though when you inspect it.

ThcForMe

ThcForMe

Awesome thank you all. I will check in the morning and report back

mancorn

mancorn

Yeah you can’t smoke the bud pictured. Those brown sugar leaves are a clear sign that something is wrong. As Madbud said, give the brown sugar leaves a tug. If the leaf pulls free there’s rot. (A healthy leaf will tear in half before pulling loose.) If so, chop it out.

ThcForMe

ThcForMe

So upon further inspection the sugar leaves don’t pull off easily and don’t see cats. But here are some pics. Assuming it’s rot and I need to trash anything that looks like this?

806C2C5E 0AEA 4E63 AC09 D8279F1FB163
0D66D0F4 65CA 473C A114 D02762D78997
C38845D6 31FD 4D27 8697 392F5FEEDDF6
ThcForMe

ThcForMe

So upon further inspection the sugar leaves don’t pull off easily and don’t see cats. But here are some pics. Assuming it’s rot and I need to trash anything that looks like this?

FCF6A7AF 73C4 4581 9C73 67F1719BFBA2
5896ABFF 3FA7 4D41 AE66 C8B7CE62589B
8244811B F1BC 4C80 9EA9 4E231FB8EFBB
713DD511 C660 4C6C A75C 96793A0365AB
A9A0EE8F EAA4 4A2D 849C FB54C5BCE819
CA0BD29D 1862 4D3C B3E9 F21938C5213C
ThcForMe

ThcForMe

Absolutely devastated. I removed the buds with rot and trichombs aren’t quite where I want them to be, but is it best to just cut the whole plans and dry? Trying to determine how to minimize the damage to my remaining crop. Will this take over the entire plant?

Ponky

Ponky

Absolutely devastated. I removed the buds with rot and trichombs aren’t quite where I want them to be, but is it best to just cut the whole plans and dry? Trying to determine how to minimize the damage to my remaining crop. Will this take over the entire plant?
Once the rot is there the weight decreases the longer you wait. To total loss. In very short order.

mancorn

mancorn

The rot may just be in a single location due to moisture. But if you have it on one bud you know the environmental factors are there for other buds to rot. Your first pictures show rot that is much further along than it should have been. Live and learn.

Bud rot is typically caused by gray mold (Botrytis cinerea) and why I previously mentioned how to remove rotted buds. Botrytis is spread by spores that can blow all over your grow. Sometimes it will start during a moist period, and then dry out when it gets hot, but leave behinds billions of spores you can see when just lightly brushing the buds. So if you see any discoloration of other sugar leaves you need to take immediate action. But you also don’t need to freak out and burn down your whole crop. It’s a common problem outdoors in humid conditions. (I’ve certainly seen my share as I’m in the 50’s with 90% humidity every morning and then 70-80 during the day.) Tons of info online about Botrytis (as it attacks all kind of crops like grapes and strawberries).

As pictured, it’s normally for larger leaves to yellow, turn brown and fall off, but you should not have small sugar leaves yellowing or browning (not withstanding the many pictures posted of burned up shit buds).

CE68DFB4 1586 44CB B425 122D38A6A57F

Last edited:
SC69

SC69

Supporter
Yeah that's rot.
I am so confused right now. I found some brown smaller sugar leaves. I didn’t know anything and just pulled them. They didn’t pull easily and I did, again unknowingly pull into the bud a bit and I didn’t see anything that looks like the pics here. Could there be another cause? (Hoping with fingers crossed) have some time to go. Thanks in advance. Sorry to hop in. Just noticed you may be around.
Thank you!

Top Bottom