Anyone Use a Digital SLR Camera?

• Thread starter Hazeseeker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hazeseeker

Does anyone use a Digital SLR Camera?, if so how much did it cost for the Camera, Lens, Filters e.t.c, i'd love to own 1 sometime in the future

Peace
Hazeseeker

F

FastForward

I use a Canon 30D (latest is the 40D), an 8.2 mpix d-slr. Lenses I have are: 15mm fisheye, 17-40mm f4, 50mm f1.8, 50mm macro, 100-400 f4. Since I've started growing I've not shot anything! All my time is spent learning and killing beans ;)

I've been shooting for about 15 years now, about the past 5 or so relatively seriously. Any questions, just shout.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
I use a Nikon D50 £400 with 18-55m Nikor lense. These prices are old and models now obselete.

Sigma 105 m DG macro lense. Cost around £299 about 3 yaers ago, And all i do is point and shoot.

F

FastForward

I can't remember how much the body cost me, but I bought it in the US to save a shitload of cash. The Canon 450D is a great entry level cam (12 mpix, fast) for about 400 quid I think, but tbh if you want to get into macro, save your money on the body and spend it on a sexy L series macro lens, macro lighting and a sturdy tripod.

H

Hazeseeker

Thanks Herb + Fast Forward, yeah getting a Macro Lens will be a must when i get a SLR, it blows me away when i see some of the Macro pics from other growers, so do you reckon i'm better off trying to find 1 from the US Fast Forward?, i'm gonna look around the net and see if i can spot any good deals on the Camera body's and Lenses

Peace
Hazeseeker

F

FastForward

Abso-fokk3n-lutely buy it from the US if you can - but get someone to bring it back rather than getting it shipped - customs can be bastards on the tax. Never forget: WE GET SCREWED IN THE UK!

Alternatively, you really don't need the latest and greatest features for bud pron (although I've not tried yet with bud in partic). It's all about depth of field and a tripod generally (i.e. longer exposures with a smaller aperture) and so you really don't need it to be fast or massive mpix....so a slightly old model will do the job just as well.

In truth unless you're printing your bud pr0n (pervert!) the massive 10+ mpix just aren't worth the extra dosh. I have an old Nikon Coolpix 3100 that takes amazing macro shots sitting right here. 3mpix, 5 years old, blinding photos. Cheapness too.

Oh yes, one more thing: RAW files - nice and lovely for editing but again, great for weddings and barmitzvahs, a bit OTT for bud pr0n unless you happen to be a High Times photog :) Save the cash and go jpeg.

I've still got that Nikon sitting right here on my desk doing literally sweet FA. I could send it over to Logic to send over to you? (FOC of course, farmer to farmer and all that)

FF

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Thats a bloody nice offer FF. Your a good man!

H

hazyfontazy

you can pick up second hand cannon(eos300d) and nikon (d80) slrs ,the first ones the companies did for pennies ,,i have the 300d and i paid £850 its now worth about £100 if i'm lucky ,,shop around theres plenty of them ,ebay has loads

H

hazyfontazy

I use a Canon 30D (latest is the 40D), an 8.2 mpix d-slr. Lenses I have are: 15mm fisheye, 17-40mm f4, 50mm f1.8, 50mm macro, 100-400 f4. Since I've started growing I've not shot anything! All my time is spent learning and killing beans ;)

I've been shooting for about 15 years now, about the past 5 or so relatively seriously. Any questions, just shout.

what settings should i use to get the buds in focus but the background black ?

what about under lights ,whats best setting so i can just shoot away ?

F

FastForward

what settings should i use to get the buds in focus but the background black ?

what about under lights ,whats best setting so i can just shoot away ?

TBH mate I've no idea..!! I can tell you the theory, but every shot I've taken with lights on has mullered my white balance (and I can't be arsed with RAW editing for most diary shots).

What you're after is known as a big depth of field - i.e. foreground sharp, background blown out (blurry, out of focus)- keeps focus/attention on your subject (e.g. portrait).

To get a big DoF use a small aperture. However, small aperture = less light = flash needed or longer shutter time (which again = tripod, or self timer on something solid).

Usually things above f11 get fairly pointless but give it a go...you should be fine to f8/f11 ish.

Also, use your focus point selector...don't let the camera do it....

H

hazyfontazy

not as easy as calibrating a ph metre is it lol ,,i just spent 20 minutes and nowhere near it lol ,,i'll have to get the manual out lol

F

FastForward

not as easy as calibrating a ph metre is it lol ,,i just spent 20 minutes and nowhere near it lol ,,i'll have to get the manual out lol

Yeah it is - piece of piss.... here's the shortcut :)

Turn the dial to Av (stands for Aperture Priority believe it or not)
Rotate the other dial until it says f8 in the window
Press the button that looks like a PLUS sign (that changes your focal point - press once then keep rotating the dial until the red dot in the viewfinder is in the middle, or wherever you want it)
Press to focus
Press to shoot

Sorted...

But get it into Av mode and select a small aperture (BIG NUMBERS = SMALL APERTURE, just to fuck with your head a bit more). Try f8, f10..thereabouts...the camera will work out the rest for you.

Shout me if you need more help

H

Hazeseeker

I've been checking out ebay as you suggested Hazy and man the amount of different cameras, lens, filters e.t.c that's available is really confusing for someone who's never had or used an SLR camera before, seen like Nikon D40 and D80 body's for pretty nice prices, but when it comes to picking lenses e.t.c i don't know where to start, def would like a Macro lens, and whatever lens would be good for taking bud shots like 6 or 7 inches aways from the bud, definately wanna save the pennies to get 1 hopefully this year

Peace
Hazeseeker

C

ChilliUK

I've got a Nikon D80 and a few lenses including a 60mm macro ( or micro as nikon call em ). I also have 4 nikon speedlight flash guns with remote triggers so I can set the flashes up on stands off camera with umbrellas / soft boxes etc.

I didnt buy the camera and the gear for taking budshots, but it does come in nice when I wanna get the girls out for a photoshoot :)

Chilli

Latest posts

Top Bottom