Anyone Use Buildasoil.com?

• Thread starter WildCactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WildCactus

WildCactus

Random question, but has anyone used buildasoil.com living soil mix? They are located not too far from my house so i was tempted to give their stuff a shot. I know i can make my own mix, but just curious to see if anyone has tried their soil out.
Thanks
WildCactus

Onetwothree

Onetwothree

I can't say I've used their mix, but I've ordered quite a few things from those guys and they seem to be a staple here in the organic section of the farm...so I'd wager their soil is pretty legit. Soooo....I'm of no help. But I'm at work, and bored.

WildCactus

WildCactus

Thank you for the reply! I will havve to check their stuff out before the outdoor season hits here in a month!
I can't say I've used their mix, but I've ordered quite a few things from those guys and they seem to be a staple here in the organic section of the farm...so I'd wager their soil is pretty legit. Soooo....I'm of no help. But I'm at work, and bored.

HippyFarmerT

HippyFarmerT

I have used their mix! I've used the modern mix and the regular living soil mix and they are both great, just get expensive in bulk. They were actually some of the basis of my first batch of living no til. Which is still currently going well so I really have nothing bad to say about it.

Peaces

WildCactus

WildCactus

sweet thank you for your response! I am kinda close to them so the shipping is 150 bucks or so, but i guess not that bad considering how heavy all that is.

HippyFarmerT

HippyFarmerT

Not terrible.. And not trying to give unsolicited advice by any means but it could be easier for you to just get some promix\coco\peat and just use Dr earth fert(found at home depot believe it or not) as a microbe innoculant and food source. It has pretty much all the amendments of the living soil, and may give you similar or better results than the buildasoils. No wrong answers though. The more you grow the more you know.
IMG 20160510 174421
IMG 20160510 174522

S

slap14

I'm about to try a side by side of my soil mix and Buildasoil's Modern Mix V2 with Malibu mix. I'll be running Gorilla Glue #4 in 3 gallon tall pots indoor. I've been using some of Buildasoil's items for a little while and so far I have found them as advertised and good products. I'll post up the results in a couple months.

Slap

S

slap14

@WildCactus

I'm at about day 35 of my GG#4 side by side test of my mix vs Buildasoil's Modern Mix V2 with Malibu. I still like my mix a little better just because I like a little more aeration than the BAS mix has. However if I ever got tired of mixing my own I wouldn't hesitate to use the BAS mix instead. So far no PH or deficiency issues at all.

So bottom line if you don't have the time or energy to mix your own or just don't feel like doing the trial and error learning of mixing your own (which can be a pain in the ass) I would highly recommend the BAS mix, at least so far.

I'll update this when I get closer to harvest and see if I still feel the same way. I'll also try and throw up some pics.

Happy 4th people

Slap

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

I have used Build a Soils mix . (LoS) fert mix bloom packet.
I followed thier soil mix directions, but before I could use it things changed and it got stored in the garage in 5 gallon buckets for a year.
I "refound" it a few months ago and have a plant (blue dream) in a 3 gallon container of the mix. Water only.
Kinda surprised me. Took bout a week but now it's takeing off like crazy!!
Rivaling my hempy bucket growth!!
I must admit it's not just water but water with
Recharge added, every water.
But looking great so far.
I use Dr Earth in my outdoor vegetable garden with spectacular results.
So see no reason it won't work.
My second container is with lady bug soil Useing espoma ( tomato and bloom) mixed in with a splash of Dr earth tossed in for luck.
This is in a 3 gallon container only water also.
So I am going to see which is better but sure espoma and dr earth will be more cost efficient.
Also espoma is a slow release
While DrEarth is more available faster....

C

CTAZ13

Not terrible.. And not trying to give unsolicited advice by any means but it could be easier for you to just get some promix\coco\peat and just use Dr earth fert(found at home depot believe it or not) as a microbe innoculant and food source. It has pretty much all the amendments of the living soil, and may give you similar or better results than the buildasoils. No wrong answers though. The more you grow the more you know. View attachment 598890 View attachment 598891
[/QUOTE]
I dont suppose you could do a newbie a huge favor. I am on a pretty tight budget through november. And my area has nothing avaialbe not even the pro mix I will have to order that from Walmart at $60 a bag. Can you maybe take the time to lay out a small formula using the Dr. Earth that I could do a small grow indoors with. Like maybe enough to fill 5 grow bags 7 gallons.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Ive used them for my veggie garden since they are also not to far from me. Gets a little expensive but didn't want to mess with it. Worked fine. If you are close go for it. I know the local nursery gets all of their soil from them and marks it up. Lol saw the truck.

Shayne010944

Shayne010944

Seems so many people use soil to grow ?
Why do you not use coco ?

Farmer88

Farmer88

Seems so many people use soil to grow ?
Why do you not use coco ?

Soil is generally more forgiving to minor errors. And generally will be the medium the vast majority of people will be familiar with without any experience in horticulture.

Farmer88

Farmer88

Random question, but has anyone used buildasoil.com living soil mix? They are located not too far from my house so i was tempted to give their stuff a shot. I know i can make my own mix, but just curious to see if anyone has tried their soil out.
Thanks
WildCactus

If they are close to your home go visit the facility and see whats up and talk to a person that works there. They will be able to fine tune things for you much more efficiently than anyone here. And if you are interested in living soil and you have the option to gather it from the source, you can be more confident in the health of the bacteria not sitting around in a bag for any period of time.

Top Bottom