Anyone use milk in thier grows?

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I used a bit of milk a little while back because of the humidity and concern over some mildew, was wondering if any of the organic farmers out there have used milk in the past and was wondering about the results they might have, or might not have realized.

If I was going to do some in the root zone, I think fat free would be the best, because milk fat does go rancid, however fat free milk shouldn't have this issue, and the added protein, sugars, extracellular enzymes, mainly proteases and psychrotrophic bacteria such as

Micrococcus is rich in guanine and cytosine
taphyloccoci, Lactobacilli, Pseudomonas, and coliforms. Pseudomonas species are the most common and typically have the most impact on quality. At temperatures of 2 - 4C, bacterial growth in milk is mainly due to strains of Pseudomonas flourescens.

Enzymes are biological catalysts that accelerate the rates of biochemical reactions. Bacterial enzymes are most significant to milk spoilage and cheese ripening but it is important to distinguish between the enzyme and the bacterial source. For example, many psychrotrophic bacteria produce heat stable enzymes which remain active in milk and cheese even after the bacteria are killed by pasteurization.

Milk also is rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, it's fairly nutrient rich also.

Isn't promoting aerobic bacteria a good thing for root zones?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I have used milk many times in my grows to help against PM , I’ve grown great plants using urine , milk , worm casting tea , if you go through my pics you will see some and my organic farming certificates it’s a simple way to grow . Od .

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I have used milk many times in my grows to help against PM , I’ve grown great plants using urine , milk , worm casting tea , if you go through my pics you will see some and my organic farming certificates it’s a simple way to grow . Od .

Yea, I get the PM part, and even some of the nutirent/sugar/protein part as well. That aside, I'm interested in what kind of organisms milk might proliferate in the soils, if let loose in moderate amounts.

Common psychrotrophic bacteria in milk are species of Micrococci, Bacilli, Staphyloccoci, Lactobacilli, Pseudomonas, and coliforms.

All sound like very good aerobic microorganisms, if I remember my micro from 20 years ago, these are all very beneficial flora, and could only enhance overall root health, and could possibly "supercharge" some of the flavor, possibly even facilitating better growth in the later stages, I suspect. It's certainly going to contribute enzyme activity, and assist nutrient transfer, without using up any additional energy resources.

I think that's why kelp is one of the best nitrogen sources on the planet. Enzyme activity, it really supercharges growth above other things I've used. I try to use several different sources of Kelp because of this, freshest sources I can get my hands on.

Think of roots like the digestive tract of a human. When the gut has optimum enzymes and micro flora, gut health is optimum. Digestion is efficient, and more balanced. The same can be said for soil health, and microorganisms living on the surface of the root cells.

Last edited:
Top Bottom