Anyone using Can Max Fans? Are they any good?

• Thread starter BNUTTHEHUT
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

I use lots of 8" maxfans. The only one that's ever failed is the one that fell 8' onto concrete, kept running in a bent housing and burned itself out. That would be the installer's fault, not the fan's.

I use them to push air through 8" Ice Boxes, controlled by a temp controller. Hydro Innovations sold me a variable speed fan controller, but this was tough on the fans, tougher on the controller. Just two cool a sealed room with 8kW of lighting, running in sealed and vented magnum xxxl 'ocho' hoods.

One, yes, just one 8" maxfan is fully up to the job of pulling air through all 8 of those same ocho hoods, set up double barrel style. The Y connector has a sizeable plenum, it sits right in front of the maxfan. Runs slightly warm to the touch from the heat it's pulling out, and that's that.

You need a VARIAC to control speed on these. The cheapie rheostats make them buzz and burn them out. The lower the fan speed setting, the faster they'll burn out. You don't need Can's VARIAC, any that will handle a few amps will work fine.

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

You need a VARIAC to control speed on these. The cheapie rheostats make them buzz and burn them out. The lower the fan speed setting, the faster they'll burn out. You don't need Can's VARIAC, any that will handle a few amps will work fine.
ttystikk beat me to it, I had to learn the hard way... by burning out my exhaust fan in my negative effect room. Luckily ladies survived the jungle enviro and no fire erupted.

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

thanks man, i wish i'd have known that before i ordered a $300 can-trol

ttystikk

ttystikk

thanks man, i wish i'd have known that before i ordered a $300 can-trol
Don't beat yourself up about it. This way if the thing still jacks up your fan, you've got Canfan on the hook cuz it's their gear! Peace of mind is worth whatever you pay for it.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I got the green can fans...think hydofarms shit....they are strong n fairly quiete kinda pricey I guess but what isn't. I like using eight inch at least one per 1k and I can maintain 75-80 degree max temps year round like this....That way I duct them all over my rooms in conjunction with circ fans to every girl in there I actually got a sog set up in 5 two week stages n one fan blows accross 3,4,5 and stage 1 and 2 share one.

Majik Colorado night air RULZ! .......I hook up the cans to a cooling thermo stat n shoot for 1-2 minute bursts every so often as needed. I can compete with any co2 enrichment system with this really simple low cost method.

You're either in the mtns, or you haven't been here for June, July n August yet... summer on the plains the lows only get down into the 70s a lot of the time.

bobby

bobby

this is what you need bro, i just picked this up for a friend, it is the only way to control the speed of a 12/14 inch max fan, unfortunately no temp control on it at all, only dial in how much power you want to spin the fan, but you can connect it to a temperature activated thermostat.

nice find..thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom