Anyone using Nitrogen/liquid Nitrogen in process?

• Thread starter true grit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
true grit

true grit

I keep hearing folks talking bout "nitrogen" hash and showing hash amber/shatter that is more like rocks than most shatter i see. Just curious what the process is for this. thanks.

sky_blue

sky_blue

I've heard about it by a guy who sells vacuum chambers, and those type of special containers for use with liquid nitrogen.
He said the advantage was that you only had to vacuum out water, but the disadvantage was a steady supply of liquid nitrogen...
Never seen anyone actually use it except the mfr. -- similar to LED promoters...
So, that's prob. why a lot of people look at this thread, but have nothing to add....;)

M

montroller

• The only methods I have heard about using liquid nitrogen are freezing it for a dry sift or using it to shock their BHO into hardening. You are probably talking about the Jurassic Amber guy and I have heard nothing but terrible things about that products.

707SebTownOGkrew

707SebTownOGkrew

is liquid nitrogen easy to come by if so where? available in all states? and how much does it go for on average?

true grit

true grit

yup id imagine its the shocking the bho or hash into hardening. been hearing about from some folks and had a homie show me some straight rocks. said it was the liquid n. smelled good, didn't try any tho

squiggly

squiggly

N2 is a non-polar molecule and should work as a solvent for bud--similar to the way CO2 does.

Doing it at this temperature would essentially guarantee that water solubles are excluded--and this is likely the impetus for doing it in this way (incredibly high purity).

Keeping LN2 around would be a huge pain in the ass, though--and it's also very dangerous stuff.

707SebTownOGkrew

707SebTownOGkrew

does anybody the availability of it? at least in cali?? and squiggly could explain some of the dangers? i know im gona need a proper thermos if i want to buy the quantity needed.

squiggly

squiggly

does anybody the availability of it? at least in cali?? and squiggly could explain some of the dangers? i know im gona need a proper thermos if i want to buy the quantity needed.

Sure:

1. It is extremely cold and can cause cold burns--and can cause you to lose limbs, fingers, and your sight. Frostbite is definitely a concern. It will cause containers not meant to contain LN2 become very brittle and heat sensitive due to its low temperature.

2. It will boil very rapidly if there is too much heat applied to it--if it is in a closed system this could create an explosion (molecules in the gas phase take up significantly more volume than those in liquid phase--the phase transition causes a pressure differential).

3. If you're using enough of it, there is an asphyxiation risk.

Aside from those it's fairly innocuous. The cold burns are the biggest dangers. If you aren't experienced with pouring liquid from the containers you'll be using--the risk is greater. You do not want to pour this stuff down your leg or onto your fingers.

If you burst a vessel it is going to go EVERYWHERE--and even vessels intended for this stuff (like a glass dewar) become very shock sensitive when full of LN2.

I'd recommend a metal dewar.

D

DjangoNugs

I know this is an old thread but be been hearing a lot about using nitrogen before running butane through the tubes to freeze the starting material, remove water, increasing yield, and it supposedly makes for a better vac after you flush it all out. Summit research talks about it a bit too. I'm wondering what kind of nitrogen it is we're using here. I'd think a gas if your blowing it up through the tube. How much is needed and do we have to pay attention to the pressure from it? Hopefully someone's got an answer for us after all these years.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

I keep hearing folks talking bout "nitrogen" hash and showing hash amber/shatter that is more like rocks than most shatter i see. Just curious what the process is for this. thanks.
Recommend against using liquid nitrogen for two reasons.

1. Liquid nitrogen is very cold about 280 degrees below 0 Fahrenheit.

2. If nitrogen is out gassing and you get too much nitrogen in your lungs it can be fatal because nitrogen is a larger molecule than oxygen and harder to expell from the lungs.

I would recommend Rosin, QWISO, or QWEHO over nitrogen.

One of the best methods is super CRITICAl CO2. But very expensive.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Safety concerns aside, it is easy / effective to use?
I wouldnt set the safety cobcerns aside at all.

See message above.

Two safety concerns.

First bite.

Death if you accidentaly inhale too much nitrogen gas.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

I heard they are dipping the whole plant into a vat of ln2 and letting the ln2 boil off.

D

DjangoNugs

My understanding is that the nitrogen, and I'm not sure if it is liquid nitrogen, I would think gaseous, is flushed through the system to freeze all the material, also helping to pull a deeper vac quicker. I've heard it through the grapevine but don't know anyone personally with the specifics. If you check out summit research's "treasure trove" of info they talk about it as well but not in enough detail for my liking. I most certainly will get a co2 extractor eventually, but im focusing on bho right now. This is not a liquid nitrogen extraction I'm talking about just a nitrogen flush before running the tane through the loop. Is this crazy talk or am I on to something here? I know the pressures and temps are extreme so I want to know how to do this properly before doing any trial runs.

Graywolf

Graywolf

We use N2 gas to back fill our systems after extraction, to render them non flammable when opened.

We use liquid N2 in conjunction with a counter flow heat exchanger to pre-chill the LPG at the point of injection.

Here is a youtube link by others of an advertisement made using a Pharmgold/WolfWurx Mk IVC with liquid N2 prechill and vapor backfill.

Last edited:
D

dab science

Has anyone ever heard of anyone adding nitrogen to jars with product in the jar and liding it to prevent oxidation to the product? Is nitrogen gas more heavy than oxygen? If so I would assume it would blanket whatevers on the bottom of the jar ?

Graywolf

Graywolf

Yes, I know folks who store their trim under nitrogen.

Oxygen is heavier with a specific gravity of 1.104 versus Nitrogen at .9723.

Top Bottom