Anyone using solar power?

• Thread starter OGONLY
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OGONLY

OGONLY

I've become sick and tiered of paying the high price for electricity. Rates have been rising and will continue to do so. I decided to start researching do it your self solar power installation. I have considered solar before, but didn't like the idea of a crew of guys punching holes in my recently redone roof. I also don't like the security concern of unknown people working on my house.

I just so happen to have a patio cover that would be perfect for placing a good amount of solar panels. It faces the perfect direction to capture as much sun as possible. I am early on in my research, but it seems like there are plenty of options as far as equipment and instruction. It sounds like I can save about 50% by doing it myself compared to having a company install it for me. Even so, it sounds like it's going to be between $5000 and $10,000 for all of the equipment depending on how many panels I install. I'm okay with that if I'm saving up to 75% per month on electricity.

I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone with solar. Has it been something that is saved you a lot of money? Are there any issues with your manufacture? Anything you might have done differently if you did it again? Are these panels easy enough to install on a patio cover type situation? I've been paying up to $400 a month for electricity. It sure would be nice to bring that down.

I look forward to hearing any insight you all may have. Thanks a bunch.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Solar is highly weather dependent when doing residential. So in sunny arizona, colorado, california and (quite) a few other places- it works out well with a good design and execution. Solar in other areas may really piss you off. Colorado has 300+- days/year of sun and that works really well. Arizona has more and longer days- that works really well. In maine, you might as well do efficiency improvements to your house and get the same kind of savings.

EDIT:
I wasn't really clear in the post- I was talking more about how long the days are in the shortest days of the year- so while colorado may have around 9hrs and 20 minutes of sun on the shortest day, Arizona has more like 10hrs- that extra 30-40 minutes per day in the short time is invaluable.

This is a site that is used daily by those in the industry and gives pretty damn accurate data for your size array and your location- be sure to input the per Kw dollar value you pay- I don't trust that it collects accurate data...

Yeah, solar works- DO NOT buy into thin film. Shit is still a joke and will be until some major breakthrough happens.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
We're on 100% solar, and we had no business trying to DIY the set-up we have. Does *not* look ghetto and what we went with was overkill for the home itself.

However, now companies like PG&E are trying to reneg on their contractual agreement with customers like us who are feeding excess energy back into the grid, so we're probably going to be pulling ourselves off grid, which will mean some major tweaks need to be done with the panel and transformers.

Our panels were made in Germany. I figure if the Germans are generating significant power and the panels come with a 25yr warranty, they MUST be doing something right.

sixstring

sixstring

My friends parents here in Michigan have a huge array and he says its a complete waste of time and money.he has electric heat and his bills were huge and they still are and he cut down every tree in his yard lol.i see it snow covered alot this year and we just dont get enough sun here to make it pay for itself.so I do think location is key.

waayne

waayne

I live where we have over 300+ sunny days a year, solar panels definitely rock here,but you need plenty of them,don't scrimp on the number of panels,and yeah the Germans seem to have the most efficient panels now...

I had extra panels installed so I have the capability of running a small 4-5 K grow off them if necessary
along with having plenty of power for my house,and hot tub,etc.....

I never pay for electricity in my house,the electric company pays me
on average around $90-$120 a month,I used to have $350-500 a month bills

sixstring said it...it's all about location with solar........

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
I just went to site ...don't understand a thing?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
U cant really judge a panel by the warranty . Nice to be able to replace them if you need to but its easy to get bad things with good warranty's .
I disagree. Murphy's Law.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If the power company is paying waayne, then he's grid-tied.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I am grid tied ,but also have deep cell storage, in case the electric company
fails.......
Ah! We went with a back-up propane gennie as that was less than half the cost of a battery bank, not to mention the space requirements for a battery bank.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
It's a map that will let you figure out how well solar will work in your general locale. Solar installers use some sophisticated hardware & software that allows them to take a photo of the horizon at the actual installation location.

http://www.solmetric.com/
Went to other site didn't tell me S....T! Thanks

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...it's too bad information on trompe technology has been so thoroughly suppressed these last 90 years or so.

what it does is it uses falling water to collect and store isothermically compressed air that can then be used to power generators or tools or whatever, ...it's also good for cost free refrigeration.

...this technology is out there and is actually still being used extensively in the mining industry because they can't burn fossil fuels a mile below ground because they quickly run out of oxygen but you have to really hunt for information on it, ...you can also look for 'pulsar pump' as this uses the same technology and principles but just to move water uphill.

here's a few diagrams to show how elegantly simple it is to have unlimited power if you have any falling water on your land.

Trompe

Trompe compressor harness hydro

TrompePDM

peace, bozo

K

kolah

Going solar is location sensitive, some states it just ain't worth it as stated by a few others, I live 100% off grid in CO (300+ days of sun) but I don't use it to grow. I only do a summer outdoor grow. I installed my low-end solar setup for about 2000 bucks and installed it myself. It's a piece of a cake to DIY and companies charge way to much to do an install. The most important component is the Controller. I went with a top brand name called Outback (which was formerly Trace). I paid about 800 bucks for it and it's worth every penny and the only company that gives you a 5 year COMPLETE warranty. A good investment is a good inverter well and don't skimp out there. In the start, I bought some cheap Harbor Freight (made in China) panels despite everyone telling me to avoid them. They have worked very well, are still producing the same power and have withheld CO winds and hail. I later picked up some used panels off Craigs List and they too are still working great. I made my own solar panel stands out of angle iron from HD and affixed them with lag bolts onto a concrete block base pad (very simple to do). I picked up brand new Trojan batteries and I haven't done anything to my system for 8+ years other than check water levels in the batteries (1x per month). Whenever I get extra money I buy new or used panels and keep building as I go. The wiring is a bit pricey and all else ya need is a few circuits breakers,connectors and battery cables. The only safety issues are to be aware of how DC power works. It is not like AC household current and if you get zapped with AC it;s nothing but a good jolt and a heart racer for a few minutes. DC OTOH is different and when it bites you it causes muscle contractions. This will make it damn hard for you to let go should it latch onto you. This is how people get fried. So a few safety lessons are needed like covering up the panels to block the light when wiring them and then installing a breaker to shut the power on and off. There are many options on how to hook things up but I wired my panels to produce 144 volts which run into 6 volt batteries to make a 12 volt system. Think of the spark you get from one 12volt car battery and how it can easily arc weld stuff should it short out. Now think of what 144 volts could do. There are two things I highly respect, electricity and flammable stuff. In saying that most controllers come with very simple instructions and address the safety issues as well.

Solar may be a good option for you as a supplement..but don't rule out running a good QUIET generator like the Hondas or Yamahas. Again the "gennie" could supplement your electric usage with your utility company power. Also think of using natural sun in your house by maybe making a room with lots of windows and room skylights. Use the day sun when it's available and supplement when it's not. The sun power is still free,,,for now at least. Good luck! any questions hit me up in a PM.

Last edited:
OGONLY

OGONLY

I am grid tied ,but also have deep cell storage, in case the electric company
fails.......

Nice Waayne. That is the best of both worlds. I don't have any place to stores a bunch of batteries so I'm going the route of the grid tied system. I'd be pissed too Sea Maiden if the power company decided not to pay me for the excess power they collect my system.

I am in Southern California so I know I happened to be in a good place for solar. I could have killed it this winter with as many 80° days we had. I realize the angle of the sun is lower in the winter so energy collection potentials are lower in winter compared to summer.

I feel kind of dumb for not having thought of putting panels on my patio cover years ago. I think I might even be able to do two separate rows of a good number of panels. I'm not going to skimp on the panels or the mounting racks. I want them to last a long time with no issues. I like the idea of German made panels. I haven't come across those yet in my research.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can't remember the manufacturer name, starts with an E I think. Let me see if I can find it for you. Ugh, so far I can't recall! But, maybe if you call Beutler Corp, the company that oversees disbursement of those funds, they might be able to tell you who that manufacturer is.

My folks went solar in So Cal, but because of location didn't qualify for the federal stimulus funded program, had to go with a lease option deal. They now wish they never did it. I feel that's due far more to the company handling the installation and lease than anything else, because the panels are producing power, their issues have to do with the financial aspect and how the lease worked out.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Solar companies rape you!Ive helped 2 friends install systems from these guys,www.solarhome.com,the last one was 6 kilowatts i think and was less than 15 grand,we hired out the roofer and electrician but did all the grunt work ourselves,the solar co wanted over 40 grand for the same system!!You do have to be working with cash though but your not getting ass raped by finance companies and solar installers.

Top Bottom