Aphids

• Thread starter fotparmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

fotparmer

Hi guys and gals, I am am in need of serious help with an aphid problem.
I have released 1500 lady bugs over 10 day period and they suck. I have 3 different groups of flowering plants is n the same room.
Its a big area that has 2 600 watt hps setups,
It is a soil grow using promix soil and 3 gallon pots.
I am to reluctant to spray anything on the plants that are almost finished.

Any methods and different ideas on how to combat and prevent these fkers.
How do they get in a grow room any way? I have plants all over my house and yard and have no aphids on any of them yet in my controlled(or so I thought) environment they are taking over some plants. I cut 8 plants that are close to being finished today because i just had to get them out of my grow area.

Thanks for your help

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

Add nematodes to the soil and then add an inch of light colored sand on top. Depending on how long until harvest, you have options.

Just use neem oil if the harvest is a week off. If not, then drop the ambient temperatures and slow the aphid's growth cycle.

L

lil miss lone

short answer my man Azatrol (or Azamax), available at a grow shop, abit expensive but Worth It. Mix at 30ml per gallon and flood all the plants in the room. Do this once a week. How far along in flower did you say? Can't miss a dose. Also, in a spray bottle mix 8ml Azatrol per 500ml water and spray the top of your medium and lower stem to soaking wet (avoid buds and leaves). (This will also keep spider mites away).

I can tell you how to get rid of them in veg, but it requires the use of chemicals. You won't be able to completely get rid of them any other way (ie organically), only other option is to scrap everything, shut down, clean steralize, new panda, new pots all that like we're doing.

Who knows how they got in there, if they're not in your houseplants, one may have flown in a window, followed the dog inside, maybe rode in on a cut, come from the soil or coco, who knows??

F

fotparmer

Add nematodes to the soil and then add an inch of light colored sand on top. Depending on how long until harvest, you have options.

Just use neem oil if the harvest is a week off. If not, then drop the ambient temperatures and slow the aphid's growth cycle.

Thank you Dr Detroit. I will look in to this.

F

fotparmer

short answer my man Azatrol (or Azamax), available at a grow shop, abit expensive but Worth It. Mix at 30ml per gallon and flood all the plants in the room. Do this once a week. How far along in flower did you say? Can't miss a dose. Also, in a spray bottle mix 8ml Azatrol per 500ml water and spray the top of your medium and lower stem to soaking wet (avoid buds and leaves). (This will also keep spider mites away).

I can tell you how to get rid of them in veg, but it requires the use of chemicals. You won't be able to completely get rid of them any other way (ie organically), only other option is to scrap everything, shut down, clean steralize, new panda, new pots all that like we're doing.

Who knows how they got in there, if they're not in your houseplants, one may have flown in a window, followed the dog inside, maybe rode in on a cut, come from the soil or coco, who knows??

Thank you also Lil Miss lone. I have azamax and have not used it properly. Can I do a root drench with it if im less than a 10 days away from harvest ?

I honestly wish I could start over but i have a few different stages going . but im going to hit them today. fk it. I hate these bugs, they give me the friggin creeps

L

lil miss lone

Potfarmer, when I was using Azatrol in flower, my man had me stop the root drenches with it a little more than halfway through. The population exploded and by the time the plant was done (sativa) it was all but dead from the aphids. So you have to weigh your options. Either Have some weed, but it may taste like Azatrol, or don't have some weed at all (let the aphids have it).

Edit: you spelled your name wrong my dude, hehe (or I'm dyslexic)

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

The predatory nematodes only take about seven to ten days to do their thing, and they won't pollute your smoke with scary chemical compounds. They'll give you a 90+% drop in fungus gnats and all other rhizomic-dwelling pests.

I'm an all organic guy though. Soma is the best known guy for this method, but DJ Short also grows similarly, and they do good work.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The predatory nematodes only take about seven to ten days to do their thing, and they won't pollute your smoke with scary chemical compounds. They'll give you a 90+% drop in fungus gnats and all other rhizomic-dwelling pests.

I'm an all organic guy though. Soma is the best known guy for this method, but DJ Short also grows similarly, and they do good work.
What scary chemical compounds are in Azatrol/Azamax? It's essentially "synthesized" from neem, isn't it?

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

Azadirachtin is synthesized from the Neem tree yes, but one must remember that any synthesized compound like this is just a single piece in the natural puzzle that it's derived from. The Neem tree has thousands of compounds acting in concert with each other to control insects, and our understanding of how they all work together exactly is still in the rudimentary stages unfortunately. While Azadirachtin has been proven to be an effective oviposition deterrent and feeding inhibitor, it also has two pages of hazardous warnings on its label ().

While countless generations of native users have proven the efficacy of Neem in pest control, and its safety towards mammals, the safety of a single extracted compound is questionable. You can chew Coca leaf all day and be fine, but if you snort an equivalent weight of cocaine you'll probably die.

Synthesis, even from a safe and natural source, is still an adulteration of the natural order.

Lol at me all you like Lil Miss Lone, but my herb doesn't taste like a lab technicians sleeve, and I'll bet you can't often say the same.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I appreciate you answering my questions thoughtfully and without taking the piss with me for asking them, Dr. Detroit. :)

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

I appreciate you answering my questions thoughtfully and without taking the piss with me for asking them, Dr. Detroit. :)

Oh, I'm not some know-it-all asshole. The first thing that I say when I address a new group of growers is that no one knows everything about growing, though some will tell you that they are the one exception.

I believe in sharing knowledge. Some folks take the opposite approach and guard their findings like Gollum does his ring, but they are wrong. A good idea can come from anywhere and anyone. My pest control technique was learned from a Dahlia grower, for example.

You can become great at nearly anything as long as you have patience and a love of learning.

L

lil miss lone

You can chew Coca leaf all day and be fine, but if you snort an equivalent weight of cocaine you'll probably die.

How did you figure that? Are you quoting some findings in an article online? Interesting...

So, I take it you've never eaten bho then, or iso??

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh, I'm not some know-it-all asshole. The first thing that I say when I address a new group of growers is that no one knows everything about growing, though some will tell you that they are the one exception.

I believe in sharing knowledge. Some folks take the opposite approach and guard their findings like Gollum does his ring, but they are wrong. A good idea can come from anywhere and anyone. My pest control technique was learned from a Dahlia grower, for example.

You can become great at nearly anything as long as you have patience and a love of learning.
What tends to happen to me, especially in canna-forums, is people get pissed at me for asking the question in a way that implies that they feel I'm attacking them or something like that.

In my years in the aquarium world I learned a great deal about how to sift through the BS of self-appointed "experts" and those who truly are expert in their subject matter.

M

MTM

I caught aphids from a new house plant from lowes.I tried everything to get rid of them bastards,those lady bugs are useless.I found that zero tolerence will kill them in veg but flowering is a totally different ballgame..I had to shut down for two months and killed my mother plants and started all over again

Top Bottom