Aquaponic Cannabis Gardens

• Thread starter chazbolin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chazbolin

chazbolin

If anyone has any experience with growing weed in aquaponic gardens I'd love to see how they turn out. Feel free to share it here.

In my case this is a run of AC/DC, Williams Wonder and Harlequin which I took from clones to a new aquaponic garden setup. The fish tank has a combination of 11 largemouth bass and bluegill. Other than the fish waste and the aquaponic elements which picks up the trace elements that are lacking in fish waste that is all that's being done for nutrients. I've been feeding the fish every couple of days with shiners, a bait fish that comes in these frozen bags @ $5.00/bag. A bag lasts for 2-3 feedings.

If you're interested in trying this type of gardening there is enough information out there on the web as to how to set these systems up. With the way mine is set up nutrient rich fish water is gravity fed from that tank over a 4 x 4 tray and dropped down into a sump where it then returns to the fish tank. The tray acts like a big biodigester where beneficial bacteria is colonized in the hydroton. Inside the hydroton the plants got set into 8" net pots with fabric liners that hold coco coir fiber. The coco is imported from Brazil and is unlike the 'premium' Indonesian coco in that it's 55% fiber 45% pith which is good for capillary action (no perlite needed) and low (.25%) salinity which is good for the fish. The tray will ebb and flow 4 x an hour with a bell siphon that fills the tray with water than opens up and drops the water down all at once. When the water is low in the tray the siphon sucks in air which develops an air lock which allows the tray to be filled and the process is continually repeated.

I've grown leafy greens in aquaponics without any issues since these plants don't need high levels of trace elements but with fruiting and flowering plants I've had to up the Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium and Chelated Iron levels with the aquaponic elements which in it's micronized form is not harmful to the fish. It takes a 1/4 lb of that amendment per every 100 gallons of water in the system. The entire system contains about 300 gal of city water and there are no water changeouts. The system needs 10-15 gal of water added every two weeks for evaporation and plant uptake. It truly is a recirculating system and unlike hydro I'm not dumping heavy metals back into the waste water systems every couple of weeks.

I vegged 18/6 with a single Inda-Gro Pro-420 but prior to flipping I put a 5 x 6 trellis in and covered the larger area Pro-420's outfitted with the Pontoons which lets me flower on a 13/11 photoperiod. When I planted the clones the nitrification cycle was complete in that the levels of ammonia-nitrites-nitrates were all stable as I started the garden with other plants prior to putting in my clones. But the media bed was not fully colonized I have no doubt veg took longer than it should have. Full colonization of the media bed can take up to 6 months but once established you can grow for years. If your not eating or selling your fish Koi, for example, can live up to 60 years. For a commercial grower interested in organically grown crops this is an opportunity to co-cultivate fish like Tilapia with your crops and do so in an environmentally friendly manner.

I have not personally grown any high CBD strains before, which these three are, but I have these from clonse when grown in both soil and hydro with lab results from those runs. What I did find interesting is that the CBD:THC ratios seemed closer to 1:1 under broad spectrum lighting than when grown under MH/HPS combinations. As this run is done under broad spectrum lighting and aquaponics the lab results will be of even greater interest. Perhaps others reading this would care to comment if they have seen this variation as well.

I'm starting this thread at day 18 of flower. I'll update it through finish and put up the results along with lab analysis. Cheers!

Day 16   harlequin
Day 16 acdc
Day 16 ww
Aquaponic cannabis gardens 4
Aquaponic cannabis gardens 5
Aquaponic cannabis gardens 6
Aquaponic cannabis gardens 7
Harlequin day 7 from flip
Aquaponic cannabis gardens 9
Aquaponic cannabis gardens 10
Aquaponic cannabis gardens 11
Aquaponic cannabis gardens 12
Aquaponic cannabis gardens 13
chazbolin

chazbolin

This is another one of my gardens where I use the coco as a wicking system in the hydroton. The tomato's at 4' tall and the peppers are day 33 from home depot starters. The hops are 33 day transplants from a hydro system we took out. We're running fish water through the new CCh2o 35 gallon totes with four 8" pots per tote. In a commercial grow I would use the media beds over the fish tanks as a veg area and when I was ready to move them into flowering rooms pull the net pot out hydroton and drop in the CCh20 spot through finish. Knock the coco off and reuse it. With all that fiber it's slow to biodegrade.

With the energy and water savings this type of gardening represents those cities where water conservation is a priority it might not hurt to be wearing a white hat.

CCh2o UCPRO4 Day1
IndaGro CCh20 Day11
DSC03715
DSC03726
IndaGroGH 8 8 141
IndaGroGH 8 8 144
8 25 14 2
8 25 14 3
8 22 14 2
IndaGroGH 9 3 141
IndaGroGH 9 3 132
IndaGroGH 9 3 143
Last edited:
germinator

germinator

Kudos to you cuz this is hard work. So Very cool....my wish would be lake perch for commercial sale with a cannabis canopy. I have heard of a local commercial operation with lettuce and tilapia.

chazbolin

chazbolin

Thanks Germinator. It's a bit of work to set up but once running it's just maintenance and the one thing I certainly don't miss at all are the water change outs every couple of weeks. As you correctly noted there are an increasing number of commercial aquaponic gardens dedicated to leafy greens and co-cultivation of tilapia because it's fast harvests. Fruiting and flowering plants have never been seen as a profitable investment in terms of time and interior floor space. Cannabis on the other hand....

Got the first glimpse of trichomes on the WW today. They all fattened up over weekend. Here's to day 23.

DSC04165
DSC04127
DSC04167
Supercharge

Supercharge

I love the concept, never tried it myself but totally dig it. How long have you been running an aquaponics system for?

chazbolin

chazbolin

I love the concept as well. I've been gardening for 30 years in soil and hydro but I got into aquaponics only about 4 months ago when I started taking the hydro and NFT systems out of the greenhouse. That became a two tank aquaponic garden that relied on two media beds over the tanks and a piping system that tied in 4 of the 35 gal Current Culture DWC totes for a completely recirculating system. These are images of the three main tanks, all IBC totes. I also have another one that I use to move an aggressive or sick fish into. It's a good idea and you'll be glad you planned for it.

Here is an example of what the IBC totes start out at. You just cut the top 12" off and flip it over for your media bed. Make sure you buy an unused one that is food grade and still wash it out with vinegar before you put fish in it. http://www.plastic-mart.com/product...te?mn=pm005z&gclid=CM6fsNys1MACFUZbfgodYEcA9g

This is the indoor Bluegill and Largemouth Bass 'A' tank which feeds the meds garden. All these are carnivores and survive on frozen shiners and live goldfish to mix it up. As the males get bigger they can get aggressive which is why you'll want to give them a time out in another tank. You'll notice the water is a bit brown in this tank. That's normal when you add the Aquaponic Elements, it's the iron in it and will turn back to clear within a few days.
DSC04168
These are the greenhouse tanks that house the vegetarian fish. Here you can see the Tilapia in the 'C' tank. It's better to keep the Tilapia and Koi in separate tanks since the Tilapia males can get pretty aggressive and will attach the KOI. Tilapia grow to adult size in about 7-8 months at which time you harvest them and enjoy a great fish dinner. They eat organic dry pellet food and I mix it up with Duckweed which is easy to grow. You can see some on the right growing in a 5 gallon bucket. If you have cooler temps do a run of Azola. It's all about mixing it up. This tank circulates water to the tray above which is filled with basil. As soon as the temps break this tray will turn into lettuce.
C Tank
This is the other greenhouse 'B' tank that houses the KOI fish. This tank circulates water to the tray above that is currently filled with strawberries.
DSC04171
All three media beds have bell siphons installed which let the water levels ebb and flow in the tray. Here you can see the cap is removed from the outside 3" PVC which is slotted to act as a gravel guard. Slots below the surface of the hydroton will only let water get inside where the inner 2" pvc is capped and lets the water raise and lower inside of it. This is how the water level in the tray is regulated when that 2" pvc gets full of water the air lock is broken and most of the water in the media bed is dumped into the reservoir tank located beneath the tray.
DSC04174
By circulating the fish waste between B and C tanks in a continuous looped system that includes the 4-35 gallon DWC totes it keeps the nutrient rich water evenly distributed. Here you can see some of the day 38 images that show tomato sites already developing and the hops that you can practically see growing.
Day 38 IndaGroGH 9 8 144
As long as the fish to plant ratio is maintained this is a completely happy system. As the fish get bigger they create more waste which is fine as the plants are also getting bigger and can handle the bio-loads. I've been asked what I do at plant harvest when the loads in A tank shift to become greater fish waste than plant availability. It's not going to be much of an issue in B-C tanks because there will always be plants growing and fish getting harvested but in A tank that imbalance will be handled by reducing fish feeding. These are cold water fish and they can go 3-4 days without eating. Also you end up cleaning the waste out of the bottom of the tank daily so the ammonia levels don't get too high from excessive fish waste. Cleaning the bottom of the tank is simple. You just sweep the bottom with a 6" net and the solids accumulate. Take that to the outside gardens and those plants get a nutrient shot. In the mean time get another run started and before you know it you're back in business. ;)

Last edited:
Supercharge

Supercharge

Brilliant system, love how all the inputs and outputs are interconnected. Well, almost. Guess you're still buying pelletized fish food, frozen fish and presumably goldfish. Do you by the tilapia and other fish too, or are you breeding them? Do you think you could ever fully close the loop on the system, so that you're producing everything you need to feed the fish, as well as breeding the fish, with the idea that you need not buy anything?

How productive is this compared to hydro?

chazbolin

chazbolin

Thanks Supercharge! I'm only a little over 3 months into this system so the media beds have not fully colonized all the beneficial bacteria. But the nitrification cycle can be complete in as little as a week with plants converting the fish waste from nitrites to nitrates. That's what I did. The plants being babies and small fish at the time the nutrients were not readily available to where I saw the clones take off like I would have in hydro setups. You've just got to wait until the system stabilizes between the fish and the plants. It's called cycling. It took me about 2 weeks to get there and from then on the plants have shown hydro like development. Again this is my first grow with these strains and they are developing pretty much like I was told they would. When my clone doner looks at the images he's telling me that at Day 23 I'm looking better than he did in either soil or hydro so for that I'm pleased to know that so far things are holding up with the system.

I do buy organic fish pellets for the Koi and Tilapia. Between the two B & C tanks they eat about 140 grams of pellets every couple of days. That costs $50 for a 50# box. The other thing they love to eat is duckweed which is free. The Bass and Bluegill love goldfish and they run $20 for 250 live bait. I only get those once a month and put the majority of them in a bait net in the Tilapia tank (easier to catch them) and the rest go in a 5 gallon fish tank where I scoop them up for the occasional treat in the A Tank.

Can this be a completely self sustaining system? Sure. You'll need to set up breeding tanks and grow more duckweed and azolla. You could rise chickens who eat fish waste and black soldier fly larvae from your compost. Fish LOVE chicken poop. But I'm only putting in about 20 minutes a day on average and for me I don't want to take on any more farm responsibilities at this point. I've got way too much on my plate right now. But as things evolve here I'm going to hire some help and turn the knobs up on this project.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Plants are doing the nitrification conversion...? They're actually converting NO2 to NO3?

I have extensive aquatic experience, and in my experience a FW system can be cycled, which is to say that the necessary species of nitrifying bacteria will be colonized in sufficient numbers, in about 2 weeks or so, depending on fish load, how often the owner messes around in the tank and affected by a few other variables. If your cycle is taking that long, then IMO and IME you're doing something that's causing a hold-up in those populations getting established.

You can cycle using urine, as well, great way to speed things up and it's how we did it on the commercial scale.

I suggest adding insects you feed and grow yourself, if your goal is to eat the fish you're growing in the system. I personally find that fish fed a formulaic diet have less flavor than those consuming a more wild, natural diet. Mealworms and crickets will lend themselves well here. I strongly suggest no longer feeding goldfish to a fish you plan to eat, either. Goldfish are one of the worst live foods you can feed any carnivorous fish, fresh or saltwater.

chazbolin

chazbolin

Thank you for your comments Seamaiden. Aquaponics is new to me so I'm learning as I go here. I was not aware of the gold fish issues. What are the issues with eating fish that eat gold fish? Their primary diet remains shiner bait fish. As to full colonization of the media bed taking up to 6 months came from Sylvia Bernstein at The Aquaponic Source. It's not to say that plants won't grow in that media bed but that full colonization will take up to 6 months. Did I get that wrong?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thank you for your comments Seamaiden. Aquaponics is new to me so I'm learning as I go here. I was not aware of the gold fish issues. What are the issues with eating fish that eat gold fish? Their primary diet remains shiner bait fish. As to full colonization of the media bed taking up to 6 months came from Sylvia Bernstein at The Aquaponic Source. It's not to say that plants won't grow in that media bed but that full colonization will take up to 6 months. Did I get that wrong?
Goldfish tend to be a bit fatty and a diet that's exclusively goldies shortens lifespans of those carnivorous fishes, moreso for saltwater than fresh, but still. Variety is mainly the point, but I'm not familiar with the nutrition to be found in shiners. If nothing else, I might gut-load them prior to feeding to help ensure the food fishes get a more varied diet, that's what really leads to better tasting flesh (along with appropriate activity, but space may be an issue here).

Remember, my experience is with ornamental aquatics, but I've set up a few extremely large FW systems, in the thousands of gallons shared among several hundred tanks, and if establishing the nitrifying bacterial colonies took that long we'd have been out of business long before receiving the first shipment. We usually started our systems by peeing in them, though, that would get the NH4 up pretty quickly and then all you have to do is monitor progression -- NH4 --> NO2 --> NO3. Saltwater can take up to 2mos to establish, but FW is generally pretty quick. UNLESS you do something that lowers the amount of ammonia, then your cycle will take much, much longer.

I can't speak to what this lady has to say, I can only speak to my direct experience setting up more systems than I can remember, both hobbyist and commercial/warehouse.

chazbolin

chazbolin

Hiya Geometry! There is one traditional garden being run in a greenhouse. That's the video. The med run is being done indoors and is completely independent of the greenhouse run. Of note; the greenhouse was originally built to trial the ADR Controller which recognizes real time uMole readings from the sun and tells the supplemental lights when they need to run to meet the plants daily light integral or DLI for that particular crop. It's a controller that lets you set photoperiod and once you meet the user defined Moles/Day value the supplemental lights won't turn on again for the duration of the photoperiod. In SD in the summer, it's a 10B zone, we're looking for 25 Moles/Day. We average about 22 Moles/Day from the sun. As the winter hits these values from the the sun will drop which increases the need for supplemental lights. The plants won't notice though. They'll still get 25 Moles/Day.

Geometryka

Geometryka

You don't have problems with all that standing water indoors?
Wow, that's a cool greenhouse setup.
How much did the ADR controller set you back?
Very nifty..

chazbolin

chazbolin

None of the water is ever standing. It's a constant flow, roughly 6 water changes per hour through the entire system. The outdoor tanks can grow algae from the sun hitting them but a couple of plecostomus make short work of that. They love algae and eat every bit of it that accumulates.

The ADR Controller is pretty nifty. It consists of a microprocessor, the main sensor and the panel assembly for $1,470.00. You can read more about it and how it works @ http://www.inda-gro.com/IG/sites/de...oller-Installation-Operating-Instructions.pdf

Top Bottom