Aquaponic cloning! Lol

• Thread starter THCMonster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
THCMonster

THCMonster

So I finally decided to give my fish tank in my room a go at aquaponic cloning, I run a 55gal fish tank thats hooked up to a 55gal drum barrel in my basement that I just mix my nutrients into, feed my plants, then put the 55gal barrel back into circulation with my fish tank, been doing that for about 6months now and its been going great! (Will post pics of that soon, just doing some maintenance)

But it got me thinking to add my cloning procedure to my fish tank in my room, now this was just an experiment, so I only used 1 clone, but never the less I wanted to post the results so far.
Aquaponic cloning lol
Aquaponic cloning lol 2
it was transplanted from cloner about 4 days ago, she started off getting fed 2 times a day with drip system from fish tank, now shes up to 3 times a day!

I know its not the greatest photos, but thats all you get! Lol

Shes a little lighter green then i would like, mostly because theres probably not a lot of nitrogen in the fish tank, if I added more fish she would probably green up more. I did add some Calcium Carbonate and Magnesium Carbonate for my snails and crayfish, so the calcium on the coco has been 100% ok so far.

Everythings going really good, could be better but again this was an experiment!

Later on I will add more clones in and make it better looking and a better setup, but I wasnt about to waste money on something that didnt work out too well. Now that i know it does ill put together a better setup for multiple clones.

Slower growth then with my nutrients, but growing WAY faster then I was expecting!

Anyone ever wanted to know if aquaponics works on clones, here you go! Lol

Hope you all enjoy, I had a video to post but the website said it was too large to post which is dumb. But I will be updating as I build the system up!

THCMonster

THCMonster

So transplanted the first clone 5 days ago, and now ive had this cutting in my fish tank for 10 days now and it just started rooting! Lol...

So basically i can just take my cuttings and place them in my fish tank and in 10-14 days they will be rooted! Lmao

God I love experimenting

20200221 184731
Last edited:
THCMonster

THCMonster

I will for sure! I tested it first with feeding a rooted clone in a solo cup and that fed it all the way to the 1 gal pot.

But then i wanted to see if I could actually root out clones in my fish tank, and... Well... Yeah you can, downside is that you cant use rooting gel, so it took longer, but hell it worked! Lol

THCMonster

THCMonster

This YouTuber came to mind when I first saw your post.

Thats crazy you post that! I made the same tank as he has in that video!

Not with the strawberries... But a tank that requires no filter, no co2, or water changes!

This guys an aquarium god! Lol

I tried the clone cutting in that one but the shrimp i have in that one ate the shit out of the end of the stem! Lmao

fatconeskills

fatconeskills

Thats crazy you post that! I made the same tank as he has in that video!

Not with the strawberries... But a tank that requires no filter, no co2, or water changes!

This guys an aquarium god! Lol

I tried the clone cutting in that one but the shrimp i have in that one ate the shit out of the end of the stem! Lmao
I think this guy establishes roots then introduces the shrimp. not sure at all, but all I care about is seeing someone grow some bud like this.
keep us posted !

dire wolf

dire wolf

Holy crap , nice , but when i hear clone , i ask why havent you entered my mini me clone idea ( competition)
My crew will love you over there !!!

THCMonster

THCMonster

Holy crap , nice , but when i hear clone , i ask why havent you entered my mini me clone idea ( competition)
My crew will love you over there !!!

Is that the thread that you or someone else stuck a clone in an actual cheesecake? Lol

THCMonster

THCMonster

I think this guy establishes roots then introduces the shrimp. not sure at all, but all I care about is seeing someone grow some bud like this.
keep us posted !

Well now that this one has roots ill test to see if the shrimp try to go for it, its just i have way more shrimp in the other tank, it might have even been the crayfish.

But i wanted to bloom in a fishtank or at least run a recirculating system, but i already know the yield would be shit. But thats as organic as you can basically get! Lol (not that i care about organic vs synthetic)

The flavor might be out of this world though!

THCMonster

THCMonster

Figured I would update the cloning system, ive been growing these two clones in the solo cups for 3-4 weeks now in COCO, I have grown aquaponic clones before, but rooting out the clones in the water is new! All but 1 have roots, but the 1 was taken only 5 days ago.

Systems running great, one of the best experiments i have done in a long time.

I just hand water the solo cups, and the water recirculates back into my fish tank!

They would be much bigger right now but ive been taking cuttings off of them for new clones this whole time!

This fish tank system only uses an Air pump, i got rid of the water pump to auto water them, just to see if I could simplify it.

This system only requires a light, which is a 4ft t5, fish, fish food, and an air pump! Lmao

Most effective cloning RDWC i have ever seen! Got to love mother nature! Without her we wouldnt have the beautiful weed all know and love!

20200227 155353
20200227 155700
20200227 155528
Vexx421

Vexx421

Any updates on this? How long have you tried letting them root for?

I grow basel and parsley on top of my tank by floating Styrofoam and cutting out pockets for pods. The roots grow through the foam into the water and dangle into the tank water. Never had any issues with just green plants and no extra nutes. Then I transplant the whole foam and plant into my lizard tank for him to eat fresh off the plant.

Are you amending for the intake of the cannabis plants or just adding nutes for your aquarium plants the same as always?

Last night I popped in a clone just to see if it'll take without anything extra except fish waste.

145g with 45watt 5000k archipelago shoplight

The pod base is right at the water line. Wasnt sure if the pod would hold too much water and rot the roots out since it wont exchange water as well as passive flow. But I wanted to use the root gel to see if I could speed up the rooting process by a few days.

From this clone ill try and veg it here for a while after I clamp the foam to the wall to support weight and then clone it again for further experiments.

Loving the aquaponic experiments, keep em coming!

Last edited:
Top Bottom