Are 2 Grow Areas a Must? New Member + First Time Grower

• Thread starter Godswrath
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Any recommendations for feminized photoperiod seeds? I like dense nugs with a lot of crystals lol. Usually I buy indica or hybrid. Do you guys know of a certain strain that fits this profile that would be good for a first time grow? Maybe something more disease-resistant? Or something better suited for scrogging? I was looking here https://onelovegenetics.com/shop/ols/categories/feminized-photoperiod and the GG4/Cookies stood out just because I've enjoyed smoking those strains before, but there are so many options I've never even seen in person, so figured I'd ask. I'm worried some of these bigger names might be more hype than anything... For example, I'm chiefin on some "fatso" right now that I love and never even heard of it before lol.
Hey thanks for that link, good luck!

Godswrath

Godswrath

2 tents for sure if you plan on popping a bunch of seeds. If you intent is to run moms and clones with some occasional seed runs then 2 tents will def help but isn't required. You can do all of that basically on a shelf and veg them 18/6 to 24/0 since you wont be worried about the lighting schedule as much on those. Gives you a lot more flex in that terms.

All how you want to grow. If you are looking for 4-5 harvest a year you want 2 tents. You can push that with 1 but timing and veg upkeep will have to be spot on without another tent (not to say it wont have to be with 2)

As far as lights pick whatever you want. They all work unless you are trying to max out every gram per watt in the tent then I would start getting picky. Lights are like 10% of the equation that too many new people get hung up on spend way out of pocket skimping on other more important things. Light decision is prob the least amount of time I spend on something when setting up a room. Don't overbuy on things and get the bare necessities that will get you some harvests. Meters, game plan on medium and feeding, good genetics, all the support fans, pumps, timers ect. Skip the boosters, 9 bottles of nutes or "lines of nutes", timing controllers so they mimic the sun, co2 bags ect aka don't listen to the hydro store guys. Lacking in all of that wont do you a bit of good in 1 or 2 tents from the get go. Budget for carbon filters up front if you are worried about smell. Also worry now about humidity and how to control that so you know ahead of time and budget wise weather it be just fans to keep it in check or running a dehuey depending on your space and enviro.

Thanks! By a shelf, you mean just in an open room? That's what I was actually thinking of trying first.

I actually pulled the trigger on everything for my flowering room last night. I decided to hold off on the 2nd tent for a few weeks or months. However, I am still heavily leaning towards keeping my clones/mothers in an open space during veg stage. I was thinking I could even use the same room the tent is in, so ideally the air would still push through the same tent's exhaust and carbon filter. Although I'm not sure they'll smell much at all during veg stage anyways. So I could probably keep them anywhere in the house.

Yep! I'm def trying to do it all right, thanks. Granted, within my means. Some things are just ridiculously overpriced (https://www.growtronix.com/ for example).

So far I've purchased (but not received):
Gorilla 3x3 (original, not shorty)
SF-4000 (new model w/ dimmer)
T8 Inline (I figure I could run it on low and it'd be quitter than a T6)

Build a Soil (BaS)'s 3.0
BaS's top dress
BaS's clover cover crop
Grassroots 30lb cloth pot (the model marketed for living soil)
Grassroots 5lb velcro cloth pot

Misc:
Scrog-Pro (lol don't laugh at me. I know most of you guys build these yourselves... This style looks really efficient, though. The trellis "snaps off" for harvest; https://scrog-pro.com/)

Going to use a smart plug I researched which keeps its schedule even after power outages (obviously I'll test this first).

Got the Pulse One too (https://pulsegrow.com/)

I also got a cheap security camera to put inside. Figure it'll be cool to watch the time elapsed video of the grow. It has a sd card large enough to tape continuously in HD for weeks.

Future:
Thinking of getting a SF2000 for my clones and mother plants in open room, but not positive on that yet. Chances are I'll go this route before attempting a 2nd tent, though.

Still need to pick up some ducting (was thinking rigid for better air flow and insulated for noise reduction, but not sure yet) and a carbon filter. Any good recommendations for a filter? I read Cap and Phresh work great at deodorizing but the rest are only decent?

I'm also still researching seeds. I THINK I've narrowed it down to CSI Humboldt, though. If anyone recommends a strain from them, let me know!

Don't think I'll be getting a humidifier, but let's see. I'm honestly more worried about mold than not enough humidity lol.

I'll post some pics when I get things set up!

Godswrath

Godswrath

Working with flowering males and making seeds was more than I wanted to try and bite off initially, so I started with fem photoperiod seeds too. Still look to fems of strains that are new to me and regs of potential breeding stock.

Two areas aren't a must, but you'll likely be cutting some clonable branches off before flowering and it's more economical to save them. The cuttings don't have to be high maintenance, they can go in a lower light area as long as it's intense enough to keep them alive and on for long enough to keep them in veg.

As far as fem photo genetics, I've had the best luck with Kalashnikov's seeds and (by far) the worst luck with Green House. Look for a breeder that actually works and knows their strains instead of one that sells blind F1's of overhyped inbred skunk #1 crosses.

Thanks. Glad I asked. I was going to go with one of the "Big Box" places (like Humboldt Co or Nirvana) but after some research I read the smaller guys' shit pack a bigger punch. Two I found mentioned highly across various sources are CSI Humboldt and Useful Seeds.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Thanks! By a shelf, you mean just in an open room? That's what I was actually thinking of trying first.

I actually pulled the trigger on everything for my flowering room last night. I decided to hold off on the 2nd tent for a few weeks or months. However, I am still heavily leaning towards keeping my clones/mothers in an open space during veg stage. I was thinking I could even use the same room the tent is in, so ideally the air would still push through the same tent's exhaust and carbon filter. Although I'm not sure they'll smell much at all during veg stage anyways. So I could probably keep them anywhere in the house.

Yep! I'm def trying to do it all right, thanks. Granted, within my means. Some things are just ridiculously overpriced (https://www.growtronix.com/ for example).

So far I've purchased (but not received):
Gorilla 3x3 (original, not shorty)
SF-4000 (new model w/ dimmer)
T8 Inline (I figure I could run it on low and it'd be quitter than a T6)

Build a Soil (BaS)'s 3.0
BaS's top dress
BaS's clover cover crop
Grassroots 30lb cloth pot (the model marketed for living soil)
Grassroots 5lb velcro cloth pot

Misc:
Scrog-Pro (lol don't laugh at me. I know most of you guys build these yourselves... This style looks really efficient, though. The trellis "snaps off" for harvest; https://scrog-pro.com/)

Going to use a smart plug I researched which keeps its schedule even after power outages (obviously I'll test this first).

Got the Pulse One too (https://pulsegrow.com/)

I also got a cheap security camera to put inside. Figure it'll be cool to watch the time elapsed video of the grow. It has a sd card large enough to tape continuously in HD for weeks.

Future:
Thinking of getting a SF2000 for my clones and mother plants in open room, but not positive on that yet. Chances are I'll go this route before attempting a 2nd tent, though.

Still need to pick up some ducting (was thinking rigid for better air flow and insulated for noise reduction, but not sure yet) and a carbon filter. Any good recommendations for a filter? I read Cap and Phresh work great at deodorizing but the rest are only decent?

I'm also still researching seeds. I THINK I've narrowed it down to CSI Humboldt, though. If anyone recommends a strain from them, let me know!

Don't think I'll be getting a humidifier, but let's see. I'm honestly more worried about mold than not enough humidity lol.

I'll post some pics when I get things set up!

Yeah whatever shelf will work for your space. I like using the metal wire ones. Easy to attach lights and what not. For clones themselves you can use T8 or T12 floros from a walmart or box store if you like. No need for fancy lights their first week or for cloning. Metal shelving in nice since you can put the clones up top or bottom and then run 2 shelves with lights and plants. Plenty of room even to fill a 3x3 or 4x4 with some work. Open room works fine. My cloning shelves run 24/0 in my 18/6 veg rooms with no worries.

Filters you get what you pay for honestly. Just like Phat, Presh, and Can are great. You can also go with the cheaper ones since you wont have a crazy plant count. They just wont last as long and sometimes have qc issues but if you are amazoning it free most of the time anyways to and from.

Nspecta's (CSI) gear is always good. Good dude also. There has been some grows on here with it if you want to peep some of it.

Don't worry about going down the gadget rabbit hole. None of them will help your plants along unless you have all the equipment that attaches to them for the control. Just using something like a temp/hygro meter and a little tinkering is all you will really need to get started.

Insulated ducting def helps cut on noise but also slowing the fan down will. 8in dont make a ton of noise to begin with unless they are on full blast. Make sure to have something to move air around in the tent weather it be a cheap clip on wall mount fan or 2 all the way up to air kings ect.

Good luck with the startup. Off to a good start already.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Thanks. Glad I asked. I was going to go with one of the "Big Box" places (like Humboldt Co or Nirvana) but after some research I read the smaller guys' shit pack a bigger punch. Two I found mentioned highly across various sources are CSI Humboldt and Useful Seeds.

Nothing wrong with either Nirvana or Humboldt (either seed co or org), they're successful for a reason. I haven't run any CSI Humboldt stuff yet, but I've heard good things. I've also had my eye on Useful Seeds' Bag of Oranges for a while.

But honestly, in terms of straight ahead vigor, nothing has matched Kalashnikov's beans for me yet. Pests, PM, and general user error on my part killed quite a few seeds (and clones 😭 😭 ) over the last year, but their stuff grew through all of it.

Top Bottom